Bullnose Forums

What adhesive to re-attach the black plastic trim?

What adhesive would you recommended to re-attach the black plastic trim that fell off? I was thinking 3M Super Strength molding tape, but I had someone else suggest a liquid adhesive. I salvaged some good plastic sections from a junkyard, and need to replace the plastic on both sides of the bed, and the passenger door.

IMG_9834.jpg.005941218e73e87c51151c3e5a263849.jpg

Interesting question. We just had a discussion about this here on WHYDTYTT. Our resident chemical expert, Jim/ArdWrknTrk, hasn't chimed in on this to answer the question of which of the ones I asked about is the one he recommended. Maybe he will here.

But your trim is different than mine. Does yours just touch on the edges or does it touch down the middle as well?

But your trim is different than mine. Does yours just touch on the edges or does it touch down the middle as well?

I'm a little confused on what you are asking here. Are you asking about glue they used?

Looking at your post on that thread, it looks like you repaired your upper body molding. This image is of the lower molding.

I'm a little confused on what you are asking here. Are you asking about glue they used?

Looking at your post on that thread, it looks like you repaired your upper body molding. This image is of the lower molding.

Yes, mine is upper and yours is lower. But we might be able to use the same glue.

I used that 3M Hi-Strength 90, which is a spray contact cement. It is said to be permanent and it has worked for me on other things before.

But Jim said there's a 3M emblem/plastic adhesive that would also work. So if your plastic trim touches the aluminum strip in the center, or if it gets really close where the glue could bridge the gap, then the stuff Jim suggested might be the stuff to use.

Yes, mine is upper and yours is lower. But we might be able to use the same glue.

I used that 3M Hi-Strength 90, which is a spray contact cement. It is said to be permanent and it has worked for me on other things before.

But Jim said there's a 3M emblem/plastic adhesive that would also work. So if your plastic trim touches the aluminum strip in the center, or if it gets really close where the glue could bridge the gap, then the stuff Jim suggested might be the stuff to use.

It's very flat, and should touch the center.

Looks like he is referring to 3M 03601?

It's very flat, and should touch the center.

Looks like he is referring to 3M 03601?

I've never really paid attention to the numbers, and 3M packaging differs between commercial and consumer products, but on the page Gary showed I would say it's the first one.

'emblem and trim adhesive' is what they use in the body shop.

I've never really paid attention to the numbers, and 3M packaging differs between commercial and consumer products, but on the page Gary showed I would say it's the first one.

'emblem and trim adhesive' is what they use in the body shop.

Thanks, Jim. I'll get some of it to use to stick the ends of some of my rubber trim back in place. It'll look better and won't be as likely to get snagged and peeled off some day.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Jim. I'll get some of it to use to stick the ends of some of my rubber trim back in place. It'll look better and won't be as likely to get snagged and peeled off some day.

I found this in the toolbox of the truck, so that's what I ended up using. Messy stuff, would not recommend for emblems or small pieces. Dries to a light brown color.

IMG_9863.jpg.1845da8a6ac6a8dd3c356044fc34319d.jpg

I had my tape ready before gluing. Carefully put the pieces in places and then taped down.

IMG_9861.jpg.bd39d3c84528657a1c5191d58f2e3f46.jpg

Found all this trim at the junkyard. I thought I grabbed everything, but I guess I'm missing this piece still. Hopefully another truck will come in at some point. They don't get these trucks very often, and they're usually just wrecked or stripped already. I'm missing my F250 emblems, XLT emblems, and one of the Lariat emblems fell off the other day :nabble_smiley_cry:

IMG_9862.jpg.76b6f932b2996b25ca428fe47c74d24f.jpg

I found this in the toolbox of the truck, so that's what I ended up using. Messy stuff, would not recommend for emblems or small pieces. Dries to a light brown color.

I had my tape ready before gluing. Carefully put the pieces in places and then taped down.

Found all this trim at the junkyard. I thought I grabbed everything, but I guess I'm missing this piece still. Hopefully another truck will come in at some point. They don't get these trucks very often, and they're usually just wrecked or stripped already. I'm missing my F250 emblems, XLT emblems, and one of the Lariat emblems fell off the other day :nabble_smiley_cry:

I think that's the stuff we used to call "gorilla snot". Sticks to everything.

I have the 3M Plastic and Emblem Adhesive, 08061, 5 oz Tube arriving tomorrow. It is supposed to dry clear, but we shall see. I have some of my narrow trim at the beltline coming loose at the ends and I want to glue it down before it gets peeled off.