Bullnose Forums

Yh-380 vacuum switch alternative solution found

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe 3 minutes, and 3oz of coolant.... DONE! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Nice!

I wonder why the fancier valves are needed. Is there any benefit in returning coolant to the water pump through the 4-port bypass valve I installed (until the engine warms up specifically ?)

Also.. periodically it would be good for me to recirculate coolant through the heater core... otherwise its sort of a dead leg ... I know to avoid dead legs in potable water plumbing ... coolant.. not sure

Nice!

I wonder why the fancier valves are needed. Is there any benefit in returning coolant to the water pump through the 4-port bypass valve I installed (until the engine warms up specifically ?)

Also.. periodically it would be good for me to recirculate coolant through the heater core... otherwise its sort of a dead leg ... I know to avoid dead legs in potable water plumbing ... coolant.. not sure

Glycol is not only a surfactant, antifreeze and seal lubricant, but in domestic heating systems it seems to prevent muck and any kind of biofilm from forming when it sits for 10 months.

Obviously no good for potable water systems, it is toxic after all. ☠️

I try to keep it 60/40 and change it out at 36 months. (if the pump, heater core or radiator don't move me change it first)

I doubt you'll ever see -20F in Dallas but it's not unheard of around here, and I like to travel north in winter.

Glycol is not only a surfactant, antifreeze and seal lubricant, but in domestic heating systems it seems to prevent muck and any kind of biofilm from forming when it sits for 10 months.

Obviously no good for potable water systems, it is toxic after all. ☠️

I try to keep it 60/40 and change it out at 36 months. (if the pump, heater core or radiator don't move me change it first)

I doubt you'll ever see -20F in Dallas but it's not unheard of around here, and I like to travel north in winter.

Going back to potable water plumbing... I always worry about pitting corrosion on copper pipes over time, attributed to iron particles from the hot water heater or some other workmanship attribute (like turbulence in pipe from not deburring, excess flux left behind).

On coolant lines you have the temperature needed for high reaction rate (Arrhenius) but if the heater core is blocked off and ambient temp coolant sits in it for a while I assume that the temperature aspect is a low-risk... Corrosion protection comes from the coolant itself I assume.

Sounds like the heater core with stagnant ambient temp coolant for a while will be fine.

Going back to potable water plumbing... I always worry about pitting corrosion on copper pipes over time, attributed to iron particles from the hot water heater or some other workmanship attribute (like turbulence in pipe from not deburring, excess flux left behind).

On coolant lines you have the temperature needed for high reaction rate (Arrhenius) but if the heater core is blocked off and ambient temp coolant sits in it for a while I assume that the temperature aspect is a low-risk... Corrosion protection comes from the coolant itself I assume.

Sounds like the heater core with stagnant ambient temp coolant for a while will be fine.

I'll be opening this valve soon enough! 🤷‍♂️

It could never hurt to circulate the coolant periodically

I'll be opening this valve soon enough! 🤷‍♂️

It could never hurt to circulate the coolant periodically

The other one arrived (for my other truck) with 4 clamps and about $7 cheaper !!!

I feel like I was skimmed on the other purchase. It’s the same damn product http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

29A0EBEF-B876-4B29-BFD8-86136E284A69.jpeg.cbbf2a7aaa419c8f01d7903391adef31.jpeg

The other one arrived (for my other truck) with 4 clamps and about $7 cheaper !!!

I feel like I was skimmed on the other purchase. It’s the same damn product :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

3rd shift at the same factory...

They can probably afford four free clamps because they're not even paying for the brass to cast it! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I've got a hundred mile drive at 0-dark-30 in the morning.

I'll see if the cab is cooler on the ride to town.

3rd shift at the same factory...

They can probably afford four free clamps because they're not even paying for the brass to cast it! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I've got a hundred mile drive at 0-dark-30 in the morning.

I'll see if the cab is cooler on the ride to town.

It'll be cooler, Jim. :nabble_smiley_good: