Bullnose Forums

Yh-380 vacuum switch alternative solution found

My 78 Bronco has a vacuum operated shutoff in AC to turn off coolant flow to the heater core, but it doesn't redirect the coolant, its a dead stop so I always wondered what that means....

The bullnose trucks don't have this feature ???

OBS doesn't apparently... first thing I learned this week about OBS

I also saw on the OBS Facebook page that this is a very common mod, in fact someone recommended this adapter to accomplish this... " people say it's good for another 5 to 10°" ....the one below would redirect coolant flow so I'm considering using the one below on the Bronco...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2QSVQ/?coliid=IGZP4S810JO0X&colid=3IGQF00LDI4AO&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_P7BBT8310K96X74T956M

With Ford trucks the heater core is always bypassing the thermostat, so you don't really get airbound or ever lose heat.

If you see where it taps into the water pump, and the intake bypasses right back, you can understand.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 78 Bronco has a vacuum operated shutoff in AC to turn off coolant flow to the heater core, but it doesn't redirect the coolant, its a dead stop so I always wondered what that means....

The bullnose trucks don't have this feature ???

OBS doesn't apparently... first thing I learned this week about OBS

I also saw on the OBS Facebook page that this is a very common mod, in fact someone recommended this adapter to accomplish this... " people say it's good for another 5 to 10°" ....the one below would redirect coolant flow so I'm considering using the one below on the Bronco...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2QSVQ/?coliid=IGZP4S810JO0X&colid=3IGQF00LDI4AO&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_P7BBT8310K96X74T956M

That appears to be a very common Chrysler FWD car heater valve.

I think I'm just going to install a 5/8 barbed ball valve and let the water pump dead head against it.

I'm* a big fan of 'KISS' and everything I see just seems weird and bulky.

Jim, I ordered this today for my Bronco.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0989DJLXJ/?coliid=I3F4M217CO34UG&colid=3IGQF00LDI4AO&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_66YGSYCEF3ZYJGVR6203

I will see how this manual one works. Needs to be adjusted twice a year... not too bad.

They sell this one -with hose clamps!- for $19.

What's different???

One ships from a "ZHUZHIMAO" for $6.99 and will take 2 weeks to get here and the other from Amazon for free and arrives today.. I'd rather pick the known devil :nabble_smiley_wink: Truth is I didn't shop... I just picked something and went with it.. as long as it had good reviews.

By the way -- this morning I let the AC turn on immediately so the coolant block off valve was effective from the get go... it made a big improvement in perceived cooling.

I think a manual valve's function may be superior as an automatic vacuum operated valve can temporarily allow coolant flow if someone messed with the controls while driving and filling up the heater core.... but if one was diligent in leaving the AC on all the time that wouldn't be an issue. I don't use the AC much unless I felt uncomfortable so a manual valve would suit me better.

One ships from a "ZHUZHIMAO" for $6.99 and will take 2 weeks to get here and the other from Amazon for free and arrives today.. I'd rather pick the known devil :nabble_smiley_wink: Truth is I didn't shop... I just picked something and went with it.. as long as it had good reviews.

By the way -- this morning I let the AC turn on immediately so the coolant block off valve was effective from the get go... it made a big improvement in perceived cooling.

I think a manual valve's function may be superior as an automatic vacuum operated valve can temporarily allow coolant flow if someone messed with the controls while driving and filling up the heater core.... but if one was diligent in leaving the AC on all the time that wouldn't be an issue. I don't use the AC much unless I felt uncomfortable so a manual valve would suit me better.

I'm paying more than $7 for 4 stainless hose clamps and I'm in no rush.

While I appreciate immediate gratification I don't necessarily need it.:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

While I appreciate immediate gratification I don't necessarily need it.:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Well I rushed it, its here... but I am busy and don't have time to get to it until next week :nabble_smiley_whistling: so you did well :nabble_smiley_good:

While I appreciate immediate gratification I don't necessarily need it.http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

Installed it in series with existing factory vacuum operated valve so I can use both depending on how lazy I am in spring/fall

34C18893-E999-499A-83AE-1F2AA527FCE7.jpeg.19d3e0fbaa20de7e63a9336934f37e80.jpeg