Bullnose Forums

3 Automotive Urban Legends, Hoaxes, and Conspiracy Theories

I thought y'all might enjoy this article from Hagerty called 3 Automotive Urban Legends, Hoaxes, and Conspiracy Theories. It explores:

• Myth #1: Henry Ford’s Specifications for Parts Crates Allowed Him to Recycle the Wood as Floorboards

• Myth #2: GM Bought Up Streetcar Companies to Kill Public Transportation and Sell More Cars

• Myth #3: The 200-Mile-Per-Gallon Carburetor (This is my favorite)

Let me know if you have any trouble getting to the article.

Thanks, that was fun!

I do enjoy the story from the back of Kingsford charcoal bags (touched on briefly in the Hagerty article) about how Henry couldn't stand to lose money by throwing scraps of wood away, so he helped a relative (named Kingsford) start a company to turn the scraps into charcoal and sold the scraps to him.

Gary, I saw other interesting items come in to my shop, and even was asked to come listen to a sales pitch for an "ionizer" that went on the distributor cap over the wires and linked them with a continuous loop of small wire.

Guy changed his pitch when I walked up wearing a shirt with "Preston Carburetion and Ignition" on it.

Gary, I saw other interesting items come in to my shop, and even was asked to come listen to a sales pitch for an "ionizer" that went on the distributor cap over the wires and linked them with a continuous loop of small wire.

Guy changed his pitch when I walked up wearing a shirt with "Preston Carburetion and Ignition" on it.

Have you ever seen the turbinator?

Basically a free spinning fan that fit inside the air cleaner and professed to help atomization and "swirl charge"?

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: