Bullnose Forums

ISO Inner Plastic Vent Hose for '86 F150 16G tank

Screenshot_2024-08-15_194011.png.5ef88cf55d314a507d95d65d6ec2d32e.png

When I fill up gas at the pump, the pump handle is constantly stopping and I have to pump super slow to fill my tank. I dropped the tank to locate and repair a leak, and while it was down, I disassembled my filler hoses and found that the original inner plastic vent hose had been cut and discarded (only about 3" is left, wedged in the filler neck). I know the original part number is E4TZ-9049-A (Nylon Vent Hose- approx. 19" long). I can't find any in the NOS obsolete part vendors or on eBay. There's no parts yards near me that have something this old that I'm aware of.

Does anyone have a good source for one of these? I know I can upgrade to the 87+ setup with some modification or rig something up, but I'm a purist at heart and prefer to stay as close to stock / original as I can.

Having dealt with both vent systems, the later system is far superior in venting the tanks, particularly on a dual rear wheel truck.

Does anyone have a good writeup or explanation video on how to install the 87+ versions? Also, any specific year or filler neck configuration that's easier to install?

Does anyone have a good writeup or explanation video on how to install the 87+ versions? Also, any specific year or filler neck configuration that's easier to install?

Sorry haven't done this conversion in many years but this photo from a 1990 Ford f150 rear tank should give you a good idea of what to do.

Also if possible post a picture of your older style gas tank where the filler hose connects to show the difference.

If I remember right there's a bracket welded inside the tank filler tube that blocks the newer style hose from entering the tank.

gas_tank_filler_hose.thumb.jpg.a4b352f65fdcab830e9e53c17b3bf095.jpg

Sorry haven't done this conversion in many years but this photo from a 1990 Ford f150 rear tank should give you a good idea of what to do.

Also if possible post a picture of your older style gas tank where the filler hose connects to show the difference.

If I remember right there's a bracket welded inside the tank filler tube that blocks the newer style hose from entering the tank.

Yes, the older tanks that vent through the middle have a ring welded in the filler opening to support the vent tube.

While my '87 truck fills through the inner hose and vents in the annular space between the two tubes, the 'bucket' inside the bed side sits at a different angle than the Bullnose trucks, so you'd need to graft that part to the Bullnose bed.

I'm pretty sure Fillerneck Supply or Gastank Depot has the vent tube, and it's not specific to 16 gallon (shortbed/Flareside) trucks

But I see where they say you need to use their Ranger bucket for the universal 1" hose to work.

Yes, the older tanks that vent through the middle have a ring welded in the filler opening to support the vent tube.

While my '87 truck fills through the inner hose and vents in the annular space between the two tubes, the 'bucket' inside the bed side sits at a different angle than the Bullnose trucks, so you'd need to graft that part to the Bullnose bed.

I'm pretty sure Fillerneck Supply or Gastank Depot has the vent tube, and it's not specific to 16 gallon (shortbed/Flareside) trucks

But I see where they say you need to use their Ranger bucket for the universal 1" hose to work.

I'm running the later tanks and filler hoses and didn't modify the "bucket" inside the bed. It is working pretty well.

When I removed the 16 gal side tank and installed a Bronco 33 gal rear tank, I also upgraded to the newer fill hose/vent assembly. Grabbed the upper metal part with the vent and plastic bucket/ funnel thing that attaches to the filler door. Then needed to connect that to the tank so went to somewhere, Tanks, Inc. I think, and got a rubber hose that had they right angle.

You can see it “installed” here

IMG_2459.jpeg.c14a47e62fb2687cd4db188d1ad53062.jpeg

And here’s the differences in the metal fillers

IMG_0122.thumb.jpeg.b1417c0b3a442d3d3c9a8726f76dd1ba.jpeg

When I removed the 16 gal side tank and installed a Bronco 33 gal rear tank, I also upgraded to the newer fill hose/vent assembly. Grabbed the upper metal part with the vent and plastic bucket/ funnel thing that attaches to the filler door. Then needed to connect that to the tank so went to somewhere, Tanks, Inc. I think, and got a rubber hose that had they right angle.

You can see it “installed” here

And here’s the differences in the metal fillers

That's an excellent photo showing the angle.

Thank you for 1,000 words. :nabble_anim_handshake:

That's an excellent photo showing the angle.

Thank you for 1,000 words. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Makes me wonder how I got the later filler neck in the Bullnose "pocket". Maybe when I tightened up the screws it flexed the plate around the neck? :nabble_thinking-26_orig: