Bullnose Forums

Door/Rear Window Glass Problem

Ok, looks like some progress. I spent about 20 minutes on the passenger door window with the cerium oxide and a kit that included some 3" polishing pads to use with my drill. Definitely better!

I also ordered some pads for my DA polisher, since I have 5 windows to go it should make things go a little faster and do better than my poor Dewalt cordless drill that only goes maybe 200 RPM. It seems lots of detailers use rotary tools with cerium oxide if you're *careful*. The dual action of the polisher I'm using is meant to help newbies not burn their paint, so that'll help with the blast radius :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: in case I mess up. Apparently you have to look out for heating up the glass and obviously applying even pressure so you take a uniform amount of material off the surface.

I started with light pressure, and it basically did nothing. I applied medium to medium-heavy pressure and while it wore the drill out quickly, it did make a big difference. There is more to do on that window even, but I'm encouraged by the results and I think I didn't do irreversible damage.

Before:

After:

the results are looking good. I have not done door windows installed before but be careful of painted and rubber parts. the only time I've polished door glass has been before installing. sitting on a seat with the glass on my lap. this way I can comfortably take whatever time is needed and I can polish all the way to the edges. but I'm not sure I would take one out just to polish it.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, looks like some progress. I spent about 20 minutes on the passenger door window with the cerium oxide and a kit that included some 3" polishing pads to use with my drill. Definitely better!

I also ordered some pads for my DA polisher, since I have 5 windows to go it should make things go a little faster and do better than my poor Dewalt cordless drill that only goes maybe 200 RPM. It seems lots of detailers use rotary tools with cerium oxide if you're *careful*. The dual action of the polisher I'm using is meant to help newbies not burn their paint, so that'll help with the blast radius :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: in case I mess up. Apparently you have to look out for heating up the glass and obviously applying even pressure so you take a uniform amount of material off the surface.

I started with light pressure, and it basically did nothing. I applied medium to medium-heavy pressure and while it wore the drill out quickly, it did make a big difference. There is more to do on that window even, but I'm encouraged by the results and I think I didn't do irreversible damage.

Before:

After:

Looking good, Chris! :nabble_anim_claps:

the results are looking good. I have not done door windows installed before but be careful of painted and rubber parts. the only time I've polished door glass has been before installing. sitting on a seat with the glass on my lap. this way I can comfortably take whatever time is needed and I can polish all the way to the edges. but I'm not sure I would take one out just to polish it.

Thanks, yeah that occurred to me too! Thankfully, my weatherstripping and paint are both slated for replacement sooner than later so I'm not too concerned. I did clean things afterwards and so far it's nothing I dont think a couple Q-tips and some water won't fix. Otherwise, your advice makes total sense!

When I use my DA polisher, I'm gonna have to wear some crummy clothes as I've read the cerium oxide gets EVERYWHERE. I was careful with the drill, but I'm gonna have to be careful to not repeat my recent mistake of not checking for results from ALL angles often.

Where the polisher is too large to work (the corners and the passenger vent window), I'll have to result to the drill and the kit I bought which supplied a 1" pad for that purpose.

Before:

After:

The reflection of the windows in the garage door really shows how much better you've made it, Chris! :nabble_smiley_cool:👍

I'm sure it takes a good bit of effort to get results like that.

The reflection of the windows in the garage door really shows how much better you've made it, Chris! :nabble_smiley_cool:👍

I'm sure it takes a good bit of effort to get results like that.

Thanks, Jim! Here are some final before and after pics. I finished the rear window, and looks like I dug myself out of a hole successfully on this one. I threw the steel wool away lol. I did take things off a bit, but the cerium oxide finds its way into every nook and cranny. So, time to give the truck a bath anyway...

It turns out the good ol' Dewalt with a 3" wool polishing disk was way more effective than the DA polisher, which I didn't expect. I used the finest cut foam pad on the polisher though, and didn't apply as much pressure. But, I'm done experimenting glass! All the water spots are gone, the fog from removing the water spots is done, and I'll calling it a day! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Before:

2PVcXgA6QA2lm9KXt0zCjg.jpeg.44c05e074980eaf9cce454b273d34f7c.jpeg

After:

sG5wNaN1TNaX0fcfSKcmcA.jpeg.1996ddd238d85d4cd49ccbb3be6d3d9b.jpeg

Thanks, Jim! Here are some final before and after pics. I finished the rear window, and looks like I dug myself out of a hole successfully on this one. I threw the steel wool away lol. I did take things off a bit, but the cerium oxide finds its way into every nook and cranny. So, time to give the truck a bath anyway...

It turns out the good ol' Dewalt with a 3" wool polishing disk was way more effective than the DA polisher, which I didn't expect. I used the finest cut foam pad on the polisher though, and didn't apply as much pressure. But, I'm done experimenting glass! All the water spots are gone, the fog from removing the water spots is done, and I'll calling it a day! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Before:

After:

Looks fantastic!

Before:

After:

That really is an amazing transformation!

I'm glad that the DeWalt w/ foam pad was quicker and more effective. :nabble_smiley_good:

Before:

After:

That looks great! Good job!