Bullnose Forums

Door/Rear Window Glass Problem

This isn't the first and certainly won't be the last time I've done something dumb while working on this truck. (or in life in general)

I've been talking to a local area glass guy to get my rear sliding window repaired - new felt channel, weather stripping, etc. He noticed there were lots of hard water spots on the rear window, and the passenger side vent window and door glass. I told them they have been there since the 90s when sprinklers would hit the truck at night.

He suggested using a mild abrasive (Barkeeper's Friend) with #0000 steel wool to remove the water spots as all chemical options I've tried have failed, as well as plenty of elbow grease.

To see the spots, you had to be at a 30 degree angle or better. So, I used his technique and went to town using this angle to see if I was making progress. The results seemed look great - still some spots, but a big improvement. But now after cleaning the abrasive residue off etc, when I look at a more head on, I can see I've put a bunch of fine scratches into the glass that look "hazy". Thankfully I didn't do anything to the drivers side or windshield, as there was nothing wrong there.

See pictures below. Is there hope to fix this with an orbital polisher etc, or should I start trying to find replacement glass? I'd prefer OE, but I guess I can't be choosey now... :nabble_smiley_sad: I see a NOS slider on eBay for $1400(!), but if anyone has a slider with good glass, even if the rest of the slider isn't in great shape, I'd be interested...

2024-08-13_14-29-18_568.jpg.493cc53bdbba129601d25f8092727d19.jpg

2024-08-13_14-29-22_136.jpg.4adfe44393eb8190fc9067879551ac05.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris - There are a number of abrasives for polishing glass. I've tried them but haven't had a lot of luck, but hopefully others have.

But I might have a slider for you. I'll check tomorrow. But it might be best for me to just ship the glass - if I have an extra. As said, I'll check tomorrow.

Chris - There are a number of abrasives for polishing glass. I've tried them but haven't had a lot of luck, but hopefully others have.

But I might have a slider for you. I'll check tomorrow. But it might be best for me to just ship the glass - if I have an extra. As said, I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks, Gary. I had the same thought about using another abrasive, but I'm a bit gun shy now.... I don't want to make it any worse before I try to make it better. (Maybe I could take it to this local guy and he can polish it up and fix it assuming I don't make it worse first)

I can probably find the passenger glass pretty easily in a junkyard around here. There aren't a lot of Bullnoses around anymore, but a decent amount of Bricks. Looking at the MPC, it seems the glass changed after 86?

I know the slider is different after a certain point, as the glass guy had a nice slider he was going to give me, but it was for either something newer than an 86 or a 91. (91, I think)

Thanks, Gary. I had the same thought about using another abrasive, but I'm a bit gun shy now.... I don't want to make it any worse before I try to make it better. (Maybe I could take it to this local guy and he can polish it up and fix it assuming I don't make it worse first)

I can probably find the passenger glass pretty easily in a junkyard around here. There aren't a lot of Bullnoses around anymore, but a decent amount of Bricks. Looking at the MPC, it seems the glass changed after 86?

I know the slider is different after a certain point, as the glass guy had a nice slider he was going to give me, but it was for either something newer than an 86 or a 91. (91, I think)

I think it is the other way around. The door glass is different because the vent window size changed. But the slider size was the same for many years.

So I think the slider the guy has may be right. Classic Industries says they fit from 1973 - 97.

The glass polishing abrasive is cerium oxide, but I've had good luck with Simichrome polish (toothpaste like tube)

The sliders went from two moving panels to a single center panel, where the sides are wider than the old ones.

Aftermarket sliders fit the solid glass gasket, where factory sliders have a gasket that has a 1/2" or more channel for the aluminum frame.

The glass polishing abrasive is cerium oxide, but I've had good luck with Simichrome polish (toothpaste like tube)

The sliders went from two moving panels to a single center panel, where the sides are wider than the old ones.

Aftermarket sliders fit the solid glass gasket, where factory sliders have a gasket that has a 1/2" or more channel for the aluminum frame.

Thanks for that, I'll take a look. I guess if it's screwed up already and I'm looking for replacements, it doesn't hurt to try.

My main issue with the aftermarket sliders is they are mainly grey or solar glass. I want the green tint, and after a bit of digging, I ran across this:

https://www.dkhardware.com/oem-replacement-duo-vent-four-panel-slider-with-light-green-glass-for-1973-1996-ford-f-series-7130et-product-28289.html

The only bummer as you mention is the different gasket. I would like to retain the chrome insert, and that won't be a possibility if I get the aftermarket slider. The other nitpicky thing is I like having the Carlite etching on the glass - I have found replacement door/vent glass, but obviously that will be missing from the replacements and won't match the rest of the car (can you tell this is more of a passion project than a work truck thing?! haha)

So I think at the end of the day if the cerium oxide doesn't work out, I'm on the hunt for OE glass. If all else fails, then the aftermarket slider above will work, but I'll be pretty disappointed that I caused this...

I've not done glass, but plastic, and you have to keep going finer until you can't see it or barely see it.

Jim mentioned some polishers. Polishing should help.

I've had good luck cleaning old windshields with the Mothers Speed Clay Bar.

https://mothers.com/collections/speed/products/speed-clay-2-17240

Ok, I ordered some cerium oxide, I'll give that a shot tomorrow and go from there. I saw some mentions of using a clay bar also, so that will be the next possible solution.

The scratches are super fine, so I'm hoping this will work.

I guess I just used too much pressure with the steel wool... (duh) but I wasn't getting any results after an hour of trying lighter pressure...

Ok, I ordered some cerium oxide, I'll give that a shot tomorrow and go from there. I saw some mentions of using a clay bar also, so that will be the next possible solution.

The scratches are super fine, so I'm hoping this will work.

I guess I just used too much pressure with the steel wool... (duh) but I wasn't getting any results after an hour of trying lighter pressure...

I have also used steel wool but very sparingly. I know how well it cuts paint and if its abrasive enough for that is certainly possible to fog glass. using the glass polish should work nicely. if you have any available you might even try flitz metal polish. it has worked well in small spots for me. like on door mirrors.

Thanks for the tip on Simichrome, Jim. I just tried to order some from Amazon and says it can't be shipped to my location (insert California joke here). It looks like the Flitz can be ordered though, that'll go onto the list also.