Bullnose Forums

Fuel System Kit Modification Questions

Some of you will know that I recently bought this BETOOLL Pro Fuel Injection Pressure Tester Kit and am thinking of making a modification. But that mod didn't go too well on the first try today.

In the pic on the left you can see the two hose setups that I have, with the top one being the one I need for the GM TBI that we are working on. But one of the things we need to do is to determine the fuel pressure that the pump is able to generate and to do that we need to block off the pump. I'd originally planned to just clamp the hose but then I realized that the bottom setup has a valve.

So the mod is to swap the hoses from the top one to the bottom one so I'll have a valve. But the pic on the right shows what happened on the first attempt - I rounded the hex on the fitting. Then I looked closely and saw what might be red Loctite or the equivalent, which might explain why the fitting didn't budge.

What is the best way to loosen that stuff?

Fuel_Tester_Fittings.thumb.jpg.865f2226931167e9f7bd2a647cc1e52e.jpgFuel_Tester_Fitting_Messed_Up.thumb.jpg.e62e48d83730ca53f3c9ab63439b034c.jpg

I see it seems like a thin wrench is needed, and that hose crimp won't let you slip a line wrench on.

If it were mine, I'd wrap the hose ends in wet rags and hit the brass Tee with a pencil point plumbing (acetylene) torch .

Hot and fast as I could get it to smoking.

You can cool it off at that point because once the polymer is broken it's never going back to what it was.

Again, this seems like an excellent application for PST, and the lubricity of Teflon on the threads is never a bad thing.

If it's zinc in brass you probably want to use primer.after you clean the old stuff off/out with a wire brush and acetone.

I see it seems like a thin wrench is needed, and that hose crimp won't let you slip a line wrench on.

If it were mine, I'd wrap the hose ends in wet rags and hit the brass Tee with a pencil point plumbing (acetylene) torch .

Hot and fast as I could get it to smoking.

You can cool it off at that point because once the polymer is broken it's never going back to what it was.

Again, this seems like an excellent application for PST, and the lubricity of Teflon on the threads is never a bad thing.

If it's zinc in brass you probably want to use primer.after you clean the old stuff off/out with a wire brush and acetone.

That's what I was wondering. Thanks, Jim. I'll give it a try. Plan to go back to the Bowtie truck on Saturday, so need to get this sorted first.