Stripped oil filter stud

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This sounds really scary.

Its going to come off. Its been exposed to oil all its life so you don't need to worry about it being siezed... I think the thing about vice grip is that it is a point of no return... so I agree it is scary but you have to do what you have to sometimes! The good news is there is a lot of working area. Worst case .... That flange on the back. If you can find a way to groove it and fit a screwdriver, you can tap it and get it to start moving...

If you can establish whether there is an hex deep inside or not that would be helpful as a next step...

Its going to come off. Its been exposed to oil all its life so you don't need to worry about it being siezed... I think the thing about vice grip is that it is a point of no return... so I agree it is scary but you have to do what you have to sometimes! The good news is there is a lot of working area. Worst case .... That flange on the back. If you can find a way to groove it and fit a screwdriver, you can tap it and get it to start moving...

If you can establish whether there is an hex deep inside or not that would be helpful as a next step...

I can't even get to it. I'll have to remove the headers and the powersteering pump. If I could just get the filter started or a nut I could fix those first 2 threads I don't even understand how the first few threads got crossed considering there is nothing touching them once the filter is tightened.

I can't even get to it. I'll have to remove the headers and the powersteering pump. If I could just get the filter started or a nut I could fix those first 2 threads I don't even understand how the first few threads got crossed considering there is nothing touching them once the filter is tightened.

Do you have a thread file? Determine the pitch of the thread and use the proper side of the file to clean up the threads on the end. But I'd stuff the inside with a paper towel to ensure filings don't get in. And clean up the outside really, really well when you are done.

51LerlBozTL.thumb.jpg.275c87761c23b0385a95abc213b2f0a9.jpg

Do you have a thread file? Determine the pitch of the thread and use the proper side of the file to clean up the threads on the end. But I'd stuff the inside with a paper towel to ensure filings don't get in. And clean up the outside really, really well when you are done.

This is what Ye Old Internet says. "The oil filter threads for a 1985 Ford 351W Windsor engine are 1-1/16"-12 in the block and 3/4"-16 for the filter" To answer your question No I dont have one but will after a few minutes.

This is what Ye Old Internet says. "The oil filter threads for a 1985 Ford 351W Windsor engine are 1-1/16"-12 in the block and 3/4"-16 for the filter" To answer your question No I dont have one but will after a few minutes.

The filter thread pitch is what you need to know. Not the diameter. You pick the side of the file with the right pitch, and it is 16 tpi. This is taken from an FL1A:

FL1A_Threads.thumb.jpg.7bf16c11b7f428e29f34d742da90ec41.jpg

The filter thread pitch is what you need to know. Not the diameter. You pick the side of the file with the right pitch, and it is 16 tpi. This is taken from an FL1A:

Im working on it now thanx for the input.

Didn't have enough room for the thread file But.. I love to buy new tools and I will use this often I didn't have one. Ended up buying a 3/4 -16 die and twisting it on with much anxiety as I didn't have a large enough socket. Again as always thank you guys for all the input.

it's certainly possible to damage the threads yet I would expect the filter to be the part to get damaged first. it's possible that the filters threads are clogged into the adapter's threads. did you inspect the removed filters threads? try to get as good of a picture from the side if you can. yes, unfortunately you will probably need to open a pathway by removing the power steering pump and bracket. actually, it may save you more time and stress that way. I do not see a hex and on those I have used larger pipe extractors. same as screw extractors just bigger. tapered and reverse spiral. in fact, that's what I would try first in my shop, since I have them and access is no different than the filter itself.

it's certainly possible to damage the threads yet I would expect the filter to be the part to get damaged first. it's possible that the filters threads are clogged into the adapter's threads. did you inspect the removed filters threads? try to get as good of a picture from the side if you can. yes, unfortunately you will probably need to open a pathway by removing the power steering pump and bracket. actually, it may save you more time and stress that way. I do not see a hex and on those I have used larger pipe extractors. same as screw extractors just bigger. tapered and reverse spiral. in fact, that's what I would try first in my shop, since I have them and access is no different than the filter itself.

I fixed and now have a new filter on it. I remember now why this happened. I was also installing that new oil pressure gauge and remember hitting the stud while the filter was out so I must have nicked it at the tip. Thanx again.