Bullnose Forums

Stripped oil filter stud

Is it possible to strip the oil filter stud? I changed my oil and left the old filter seal on by accident and had a double seal. Like an idiot I over tightened and realized my mistake when oil was pouring on the driveway at an alarming rate. So got another filter and now neither filter will screw back on. Can I change the stud? I found some online but they don't look like mine.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you send a pic of where the filter goes ? I cannot remember if the 351W has an oil filter adapter or if the filter is installed straight to the block.

Either way, you can repair this without too much difficulty... rest assured :nabble_smiley_good:

Can you send a pic of where the filter goes ? I cannot remember if the 351W has an oil filter adapter or if the filter is installed straight to the block.

Either way, you can repair this without too much difficulty... rest assured :nabble_smiley_good:

20240805_194845.jpg.a4e90d732ca7f8ad14a2d47acda1fe1b.jpg

20240805_194833.jpg.48976728c7f4ca3d87ebec449d9e96fa.jpg

Ive had a long day. I'll check this in the morning thanks for the help.

Your filter is installed straight to the block with an adapter.. no 90 degree adapters like the 460....

This adapter below will work... The only thing I am not sure about is how to remove the old adapter that's installed to the block.. those things can be boogers to get off after all these years.. more experienced inputs/suggestions needed :nabble_smiley_thinking:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K8W68U/?coliid=I2OW35OB5ZNUY2&colid=3IGQF00LDI4AO&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_H1WV6CEYDQK0EYSNKA28

Should be a hex inside, it's a '65 Mustang part number available for under $6 when I last checked, but it's been a while.

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: twice as much now!

https://www.cjponyparts.com/oil-filter-threaded-insert-mustang-5-0l-1982-1995/p/HW2387/?year=1984&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8MG1BhCoARIsAHxSiQnpU-OQSpVOgxiA2MsluQxxBQ6__3BSJpIBoWq_LsGNL4CF5GoVEg0aAhQzEALw_wcB

Yeah, yeah I know what it says about fitment, but it fits 429/460 as well.

Should be a hex inside, it's a '65 Mustang part number available for under $6 when I last checked, but it's been a while.

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: twice as much now!

https://www.cjponyparts.com/oil-filter-threaded-insert-mustang-5-0l-1982-1995/p/HW2387/?year=1984&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8MG1BhCoARIsAHxSiQnpU-OQSpVOgxiA2MsluQxxBQ6__3BSJpIBoWq_LsGNL4CF5GoVEg0aAhQzEALw_wcB

Yeah, yeah I know what it says about fitment, but it fits 429/460 as well.

Doesn't seem to be a hex in there. It feels like its threaded and looks threaded too. Im not sure how to remove the old one.

Doesn't seem to be a hex in there. It feels like its threaded and looks threaded too. Im not sure how to remove the old one.

I've seen them w/o the hex. In that case I used vise grips to get it out, which is scary 'cause you know you are going to mess the threads up big time when you put the vise grips on there. But it came out and I put a new one in w/o a problem.

I've seen them w/o the hex. In that case I used vise grips to get it out, which is scary 'cause you know you are going to mess the threads up big time when you put the vise grips on there. But it came out and I put a new one in w/o a problem.

Yep that’s what I was afraid of. I didn’t see the hex in his pics but was hoping it was buried maybe halfway inside or all the way inside… like on the one Jim sent the Hex is all the way on the backside inside the block.

Ford must have designed them to be removed reasonable easily.. or that’s the hope at least but sometimes they surprise us !

And Hex are about the worst in my experience when it comes to stripping… so I would go real easy if that’s the case

Yep that’s what I was afraid of. I didn’t see the hex in his pics but was hoping it was buried maybe halfway inside or all the way inside… like on the one Jim sent the Hex is all the way on the backside inside the block.

Ford must have designed them to be removed reasonable easily.. or that’s the hope at least but sometimes they surprise us !

And Hex are about the worst in my experience when it comes to stripping… so I would go real easy if that’s the case

Oh and if vice grips are used, maybe a good idea to install a socket or something cylindrical inside so the walls don’t collapse and break possibly