Bullnose Forum

Autolite vs Motorcraft

Hence Air "Conditioning". 🧐

It's not cooling, as much as lowering relative humidity, so your sweat can evaporate and cool YOU!

It's right there on the nameplate.

4800W*, or whatever.

Lots of central air units are fused at 40A 240V, or more!

That's exactly how much heat you're pumping into the immediate environment.

When you think of a city as densely packed as Hong Kong or Delhi you can imagine the contribution.

My 5-ton Trane unit is using about 15-25A per leg when going full blast.. that sounds about right... Yes it seems to be a vicious cycle.....

My 5-ton Trane unit is using about 15-25A per leg when going full blast.. that sounds about right... Yes it seems to be a vicious cycle.....

I absolutely should have said that circuits have to account for inrush and are derated per the NEC.

But 240V @ 20A is 4800w, and that's not including heat produced at the source (if nuclear, coal or gas turbine)

I don't think that wind, hydro or solar produce significant amounts of heat, and you could say all are harvesting insolation either directly or indirectly.

I absolutely should have said that circuits have to account for inrush and are derated per the NEC.

But 240V @ 20A is 4800w, and that's not including heat produced at the source (if nuclear, coal or gas turbine)

I don't think that wind, hydro or solar produce significant amounts of heat, and you could say all are harvesting insolation either directly or indirectly.

Yes. My breaker has tripped more than once as the compressor was working really hard. The inrush exceed the breaker’s capacity… I am using a 60A breaker!!!

Yes. My breaker has tripped more than once as the compressor was working really hard. The inrush exceed the breaker’s capacity… I am using a 60A breaker!!!

Breakers can go bad and trip far earlier than their ratings. I’ve replaced many of them that have.

Breakers can go bad and trip far earlier than their ratings. I’ve replaced many of them that have.

Ha! You predicted what happened 2 years later after this first started happening. I did replace the breaker... but only when the compressor wouldn't kick... the hard start kit and capacitor all looked good, and I measured ~106V at the compressor vs 240V. I didn't just replace it proactively like I should have.... :nabble_smiley_teeth: I just assumed the breaker went bad, but didn't know when they start going out they trip sooner.

Ha! You predicted what happened 2 years later after this first started happening. I did replace the breaker... but only when the compressor wouldn't kick... the hard start kit and capacitor all looked good, and I measured ~106V at the compressor vs 240V. I didn't just replace it proactively like I should have.... :nabble_smiley_teeth: I just assumed the breaker went bad, but didn't know when they start going out they trip sooner.

Low voltage will kill that compressor in no time.

Coming from a tropical country where air conditioning is only present in maybe 10% of the households, and even when it is present it is reserved for the bedrooms only. Maybe ... the vent window felt like a dream. Some water at the end of the trip felt wonderful... My iPhone --- Not-so much... it was hanging up due to extreme ambient heat!! Felt like I was using a Celeron powered Windows PC back in the 90s..... I wondered what use case just about everything has been designed for. The iPhone is setup for 50C case temperature I imagine (Ambient + processor heat) so anything over that it starts throttling the processor..

Rare to find an air conditioner in a residential property in Newfoundland in the past. The only reason you see it today is due to the installation of heat pumps in the newer homes. A fan goes a long way when the temp reaches 80 deg F for a few days the first week in Aug.

Interesting stories about the early days of automotive electrics. Thanks ... That's where my electrical knowledge started under the guidance of holding the flashlight for my father whilst he was troubleshooting his 50's vintage Ford pickups.

I to spent some time as an appliance tech. I saved many people a service call, telling them to reset the breaker and give the squirrel cage a spin before trying to start their window A/C unit the first time for the summer. Unless it was a slow week in the shop.....