Bullnose Forums

Air Conditioner Questions, Hoses, Manifolds, Valves

Thank you for the info! I am curious if that setup would have been used with an electric or hot air choke? We have an electric choke and we have part of the hot air choke tube but it is not connected to anything.

They were used generally with hot air, but could probably be used with electric ones other than the Ford ones with the stud that would be right into the hose. The Carter and Holley 12V electric choke covers have fairly flush with the bakelite.

DSCN4456.thumb.jpg.861b9b20fa22343931483bc7258a277a.jpg

DSCN4457.thumb.jpg.cc1c641d36ebce31ae914350d095a646.jpg

DSCN5873.thumb.jpg.136a6e9dcc32f8288f29a013ad47d803.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the info! I am curious if that setup would have been used with an electric or hot air choke? We have an electric choke and we have part of the hot air choke tube but it is not connected to anything.

the 400 uses a stove in the intake manifold which is basically a tubular coil in the intake below the mounting plate with a fresh air intake connected to the horn of the carb and a draw tube going to the back of the choke. many of these have rusted away by this time. I did a repair for just this scenario a few years ago on a 351m/400. if I still have the pictures somewhere I will try to post them. if not i can get at pictures at least of the existing system as I still own that truck.

funny story about heater core flow direction. I had an employee a few years back and he had an econline,93-94 I think, family van but his wife complained about no heat. I said I would look at it after work. I quickly determined it was a clogged heater core. so, I pulled both hoses and reconnected the supply hose to the opposite connection with the other open and said start it up. he started it and came out and unfortunately stood right in range of the open pipe. why not, nothing was coming out. till it did! it actually looked like diarrhea. he screamed. it shit on me! any way. that's what happens when we neglect our cooling systems. good coolant prevents rust. rust creates clogs not just holes in block plugs.

the 400 uses a stove in the intake manifold which is basically a tubular coil in the intake below the mounting plate with a fresh air intake connected to the horn of the carb and a draw tube going to the back of the choke. many of these have rusted away by this time. I did a repair for just this scenario a few years ago on a 351m/400. if I still have the pictures somewhere I will try to post them. if not i can get at pictures at least of the existing system as I still own that truck.

funny story about heater core flow direction. I had an employee a few years back and he had an econline,93-94 I think, family van but his wife complained about no heat. I said I would look at it after work. I quickly determined it was a clogged heater core. so, I pulled both hoses and reconnected the supply hose to the opposite connection with the other open and said start it up. he started it and came out and unfortunately stood right in range of the open pipe. why not, nothing was coming out. till it did! it actually looked like diarrhea. he screamed. it shit on me! any way. that's what happens when we neglect our cooling systems. good coolant prevents rust. rust creates clogs not just holes in block plugs.

Matt, I would actually appreciate any pictures you can get me of that setup. I haven't had the time yet to investigate this, but I know our carb at this setup from the factory. There is a hot air tube coming from the plate on the intake but it's just blocked off.

They were used generally with hot air, but could probably be used with electric ones other than the Ford ones with the stud that would be right into the hose. The Carter and Holley 12V electric choke covers have fairly flush with the bakelite.

We have the Holly style electric choke so the stud shouldn't be an issue.

We were not planning to use the 4-port style valve for the heater shut off but we could always consider that in the future if this proves helpful. I'm not sure we will be able to determine the usefulness though. Once the A/C is working, it will be running 75% of the year so there would be no hot water flowing through that hose.

I have plenty of hose that so if we end up not needing it or its in the way, we can always shorten it in the future.