Bullnose Forums

460 oil consumption

Installed the catch can. Tell you what, there is definitely more real estate under a bullnose hood. The dentside double inner fenders (metal + plastic underneath) take waaay too much room and the blower motor box is like 2 times bigger. The only place I could comfortably install it and still use the stock air cleaner was on the metal cover of the blower motor box. Helped that I previously removed all rivets on the cover and replaced with nuts/bolts to replace the blower motor.

Here is a pic of the 460 the day I got the truck.... it definitely came with that PCV valve on the breather... I don't know why they installed it... no telling how long it ran that way .... obviously not able to breathe well (only exhale but not inhale on that side http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif).. what sort of long-term damage has that resulted in ??

I can tell its happier now.

1.png.57558919ca3ca5975af3c4d311657f6d.png

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a pic of the 460 the day I got the truck.... it definitely came with that PCV valve on the breather... I don't know why they installed it... no telling how long it ran that way .... obviously not able to breathe well (only exhale but not inhale on that side :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:).. what sort of long-term damage has that resulted in ??

I can tell its happier now.

What damage???

What happens if you suck through a straw and put your finger over the end?

What damage???

What happens if you suck through a straw and put your finger over the end?

Depends where I am. If I was snorkeling like I was 2 weeks ago that would be somewhat critical because my 3rd world behind doesn't know how to swim :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I was thinking if the breather was not able to pull in air, what would be the result on the PCV system health ? I mean the manifold vacuum isn't going to quit its job of pulling air out of the PCV... air must be made up somewhere... If there isn't fresh air.. where would the make up come from ? Blow-by right ? So would the blow-by have a mild "vacuum assist"??

Depends where I am. If I was snorkeling like I was 2 weeks ago that would be somewhat critical because my 3rd world behind doesn't know how to swim :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I was thinking if the breather was not able to pull in air, what would be the result on the PCV system health ? I mean the manifold vacuum isn't going to quit its job of pulling air out of the PCV... air must be made up somewhere... If there isn't fresh air.. where would the make up come from ? Blow-by right ? So would the blow-by have a mild "vacuum assist"??

You're not sucking air past the rings,

But if it was factory jetting you'd be running rich, because the fuel system is calibrated for the vacuum leak at the PCV valve.

You're not sucking air past the rings,

But if it was factory jetting you'd be running rich, because the fuel system is calibrated for the vacuum leak at the PCV valve.

Thats good to know that the blow-by couldn't have got worse... or even the behavior of the oil control rings from years of being suffocated that way...

Thats good to know that the blow-by couldn't have got worse... or even the behavior of the oil control rings from years of being suffocated that way...

Catch can is working. Found 4ml oil in it after 70 miles. Nasty black oil. Better out than in.

Catch can is working. Found 4ml oil in it after 70 miles. Nasty black oil. Better out than in.

Well… I guess I had not been paying close enough attention. My garage floor has many different spills and past rear main seal drips (from my past 84 bronco) and I never bothered to look at RMS much on this bronco and in a sea of drips I supposed I hadn’t bothered much

Garage floor

D32BD2A0-53BF-4A7D-99B0-CD9848B7E1F6.jpeg.74476a7be742f9f06597d4eecfe3306c.jpeg

But the church parking lot is indubitable. Came back to this after being parked for 90 mins

Wonder how much I’m losing this way and how much of this is factoring into my oil consumption..... this level of RMS leak in my experience was about what my 84 Bronco had. Seeing a very similar pattern but I didn't own the 84 long enough to know how much oil was being lost.

07B11F1E-6960-4799-ABF7-CA5F6695CFBF.jpeg.84859fe3a0a3c923208f0e8f88c3b31a.jpeg

Well… I guess I had not been paying close enough attention. My garage floor has many different spills and past rear main seal drips (from my past 84 bronco) and I never bothered to look at RMS much on this bronco and in a sea of drips I supposed I hadn’t bothered much

Garage floor

But the church parking lot is indubitable. Came back to this after being parked for 90 mins

Wonder how much I’m losing this way and how much of this is factoring into my oil consumption..... this level of RMS leak in my experience was about what my 84 Bronco had. Seeing a very similar pattern but I didn't own the 84 long enough to know how much oil was being lost.

Customer sent me this on my way home Thursday...... :nabble_smiley_blush:

IMG_20240811_142652.thumb.jpg.6af6790704f5789189ddb8cf929f0f9a.jpg