Bullnose Forums

460 oil consumption

I would try PST.

It's rated for the temp.

I have OMC cast valve covers and red silicone gaskets

Well I guess the book wasn’t all inclusive.. on my heads maybe not… removed the inner valve cover bolts and stuck a pick through. Bottomed out at 1 inch.

Also ran the bronco without any of those bolts. No effect on vaccum.

I do recall a couple of bolts running into the intake ports.. I cannot recall exactly which ones…

I took care to use thread sealer on all the ones that ran it to the valve train or ports… just thinking of all possible causes

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess the book wasn’t all inclusive.. on my heads maybe not… removed the inner valve cover bolts and stuck a pick through. Bottomed out at 1 inch.

Also ran the bronco without any of those bolts. No effect on vaccum.

I do recall a couple of bolts running into the intake ports.. I cannot recall exactly which ones…

I took care to use thread sealer on all the ones that ran it to the valve train or ports… just thinking of all possible causes

sorry got too excited. Should have done my homework first before bringing up this possibility. If I had gone back into my PC hard drive and looked at the pics I took 6 months ago I would have realized my intake ports were different than the ones shown in the book.

Too bad my phone cannot store all the pictures. I can take like 200 pics before the storage is full!!

I feel like newer Phone iOS have padded up images sizes to fill up phones sooner. Planned obsolescence everywhere!! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

Man.. that valvetrain and everything was so clean. I am bummed the seals are potentially leaking.

port.png.0ecf5adc9c5804c66b810e3884451bf3.png

sorry got too excited. Should have done my homework first before bringing up this possibility. If I had gone back into my PC hard drive and looked at the pics I took 6 months ago I would have realized my intake ports were different than the ones shown in the book.

Too bad my phone cannot store all the pictures. I can take like 200 pics before the storage is full!!

I feel like newer Phone iOS have padded up images sizes to fill up phones sooner. Planned obsolescence everywhere!! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

Man.. that valvetrain and everything was so clean. I am bummed the seals are potentially leaking.

FED43675-3403-4B98-8AE2-34FEC93A9B69.jpeg.e7a78d37635d6776f14ba2765670a0e7.jpeg

I bought that… but not sure I’m using it… I’m going to try a high mileage oil first… if that reduces the consumption that will be plan of record for the foreseeable future…

I bought that… but not sure I’m using it… I’m going to try a high mileage oil first… if that reduces the consumption that will be plan of record for the foreseeable future…

High mileage oil change done today 10W-40.... really hope it "reconditions" the seals with time..

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Good luck! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks. I’ll need it!

I don’t need my wife to remind me why i didn’t take care of this while it was out on the stand!! I promised her just last week I was done with the bronco for a while :nabble_zipper-23x23_orig:

Thanks. I’ll need it!

I don’t need my wife to remind me why i didn’t take care of this while it was out on the stand!! I promised her just last week I was done with the bronco for a while :nabble_zipper-23x23_orig:

Checked intake manifold bolts again for torque (When warm). My cheap 3/8 inch harbor freight wrench doesn't line up perfectly with the marks, 30 looks like 35, and so forth. I set it at ~32 and went all around. 1 bolt in the center sort of needed a bit extra but all others held the torque.

Moved over the vacuum advance to ported vacuum.. when I rev it, the smoking is reduced... I need to keep an eye on this some more... makes no sense why it would help.

Am I not burning off all the oil now, or is it drawing less through the seals ?

Checked intake manifold bolts again for torque (When warm). My cheap 3/8 inch harbor freight wrench doesn't line up perfectly with the marks, 30 looks like 35, and so forth. I set it at ~32 and went all around. 1 bolt in the center sort of needed a bit extra but all others held the torque.

Moved over the vacuum advance to ported vacuum.. when I rev it, the smoking is reduced... I need to keep an eye on this some more... makes no sense why it would help.

Am I not burning off all the oil now, or is it drawing less through the seals ?

Shouldn't make any difference.

The vacuum is still there at idle, it's just that the port is up in the transfers (above the closed throttle blade)

Shouldn't make any difference.

The vacuum is still there at idle, it's just that the port is up in the transfers (above the closed throttle blade)

Yesterday I order the torque wrench below.. works 3.7-37 ft-lbs ... .should come in handy for intake jobs, valve train, transmission valve body, etc...

https://www.acdelco-tools.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=131

I am tired on relying on cheap torque wrenches for critical things. The harbor freight torque wrench, when I set it at 30ft lbs, I am not confident it is hitting that.... its meant to go from 20 to 100 ft lbs... when it works accurately.. This is the 2nd or 3rd $9 wrench I have tossed out after it failed me...

Yesterday I order the torque wrench below.. works 3.7-37 ft-lbs ... .should come in handy for intake jobs, valve train, transmission valve body, etc...

https://www.acdelco-tools.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=131

I am tired on relying on cheap torque wrenches for critical things. The harbor freight torque wrench, when I set it at 30ft lbs, I am not confident it is hitting that.... its meant to go from 20 to 100 ft lbs... when it works accurately.. This is the 2nd or 3rd $9 wrench I have tossed out after it failed me...

Back in the day we would just buy a beam type torque wrench.

You could throw it across the garage and it would still read correctly.

Today, I would probably buy a digital adapter that beeps and lights up.

They also do degrees, like you need for torque to yield fasteners. 💡