Bullnose Forums

460 oil consumption

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Then it's not fuel.

"High mileage" oil doesn't really mean anything except it might have a bit more detergent to loosen up deposits.

But you said your engine is clean as a whistle (as is mine, that's been in for 16 years)

I checked oil level after 250 miles and I have lost a QUART... and I will dare say that about three-quarters of that has come out via the rear main seal.... crawling under the truck today, I can finally see the wake of oil that coated the transmission pan, the rear end, the fuel tank :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I can sense a RMS job in the near future if it gets any worse. On the 78 Bronco, I THINK the pan will get out the way of the oil pump, and pick-up without jacking up the 460.

I checked oil level after 250 miles and I have lost a QUART... and I will dare say that about three-quarters of that has come out via the rear main seal.... crawling under the truck today, I can finally see the wake of oil that coated the transmission pan, the rear end, the fuel tank :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I can sense a RMS job in the near future if it gets any worse. On the 78 Bronco, I THINK the pan will get out the way of the oil pump, and pick-up without jacking up the 460.

And for what its worth, the oil looks practically new after 250 miles.... does this rule out anything in particular ?

Up here that is just to keep the rust at bay.

I'm really surprised you didn't fix that nightmare before you swapped the engine in. 🤷‍♂️

Up here that is just to keep the rust at bay.

I'm really surprised you didn't fix that nightmare before you swapped the engine in. 🤷‍♂️

Well.... I was hoping you wouldn't rub salt on that wound http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

Back then, I said the rear main seal didn't leak on the 86 Pickup... and I told myself... let's not wake up a sleeping beast... but the silly guys had no thermostat and it was winter time so with the little driving I did, I didn't see any leaks... it was a low-risk gamble though as I was aware of the good clearance on top of the solid axle....

1E51D886-15C5-47A4-A400-8A5FDBE9D877.jpeg.7c592458a43d17a63508df27c4dc4c3f.jpeg

Well.... I was hoping you wouldn't rub salt on that wound :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Back then, I said the rear main seal didn't leak on the 86 Pickup... and I told myself... let's not wake up a sleeping beast... but the silly guys had no thermostat and it was winter time so with the little driving I did, I didn't see any leaks... it was a low-risk gamble though as I was aware of the good clearance on top of the solid axle....

I hope it's easy to reach the main caps and drop the crank in-situ. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

I really am not that familiar w/ how the '70's frames fit the 460.

I hope it's easy to reach the main caps and drop the crank in-situ. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

I really am not that familiar w/ how the '70's frames fit the 460.

I'll hope with you, but it is a nasty job - if it can be done. Oil drains off the block and drips on you, seemingly forever. I'd drain the engine several days ahead of tackling it.

I'll hope with you, but it is a nasty job - if it can be done. Oil drains off the block and drips on you, seemingly forever. I'd drain the engine several days ahead of tackling it.

I have done this job on

The main caps had to be loosened just a hair to relax the crank. With a ton of effort the old seal came out.... I'm hoping the oil leak rate on this old RMS doesn't increase, if it gets as bad as Big Blue 2WD was when I bought the truck (quart every 50 miles) I will need to pull the trigger. (Big Blue 2WD doesn't have a leak anymore.)

Yes I will rate this as probably the nastiest job I have done !! Hoping :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig: it is easier on the Bronco.

I have done this job on

The main caps had to be loosened just a hair to relax the crank. With a ton of effort the old seal came out.... I'm hoping the oil leak rate on this old RMS doesn't increase, if it gets as bad as Big Blue 2WD was when I bought the truck (quart every 50 miles) I will need to pull the trigger. (Big Blue 2WD doesn't have a leak anymore.)

Yes I will rate this as probably the nastiest job I have done !! Hoping :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig: it is easier on the Bronco.

The part I am dreading the most is extracting the old seal. The seal on Big Blue 2WD was hard stuck. It took a lot of pounding on the metal core with a punch to get the old one out.

There aren't large puddles like what Big Blue 2WD used to have EVERY SINGLE TIME I parked... I said a quart every 50 miles but that was probably a stretch... probably ran through a quart a lot sooner.

I really am hoping to push out the inevitable as much as possible. I can definitely deal with a quart every 250 miles. That is probably less frequent and less time spent as the gas station anyway. What kind of mall crawling surplus-need animal have I built ? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

And I also took out 22ml from the catch can yesterday roughly from the 250 miles.. small in comparison but just wanted to document that number