Bullnose Forums

460 oil consumption

Back in the day we would just buy a beam type torque wrench.

You could throw it across the garage and it would still read correctly.

Today, I would probably buy a digital adapter that beeps and lights up.

They also do degrees, like you need for torque to yield fasteners. 💡

I was trying to find a picture of the 1/2" drive digital torque indicator I have. We went to a metrology seminar outside DC in 2011 beofre I retired. One of the companies that manufactures precision torque calibrators had a very nice booth set up. They had picked up a small digital torque indicator from either Northern Tool or Harbour Freight to show how inaccurate cheap torque wrenches and indicators can be. It backfired, the little unit was extremely accurate, as a result I bought one when we returned to Newport News.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying to find a picture of the 1/2" drive digital torque indicator I have. We went to a metrology seminar outside DC in 2011 beofre I retired. One of the companies that manufactures precision torque calibrators had a very nice booth set up. They had picked up a small digital torque indicator from either Northern Tool or Harbour Freight to show how inaccurate cheap torque wrenches and indicators can be. It backfired, the little unit was extremely accurate, as a result I bought one when we returned to Newport News.

I have this unit below... I was going to throw it in my tool bag and use it for big lug nut jobs instead of buying a monster torque wrench... I had some problems with it like the display turning off in the middle of use due to having an over aggressive auto-turn off.. took a while to re-set the torque spec each time.... so I did end up buying a monster torque wrench

I might test its accuracy in the sub 30 ft lbs level when my new wrench arrives

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0852JLJ2P/?coliid=I2W63BTP8HNLCX&colid=3IGQF00LDI4AO&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_58N1N67A9N7Y3HR3MT6R

This "Quinn" one looks very promising... I might get one of these some day if they are on sale. Also the 1/2 inch variant.

Might seem like overkill but when I am doing something mission critical like a cam bolt, I'd probably check torque using 2 different metrologies. "Trust but verify" is the name of the game for a guy like me with cheap infrequently used tools that are never re-calibrated ever in their life :nabble_smiley_blush:

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/torque-wrenches/38-in-drive-59-59-ft-lb-digital-torque-adapter-58705.html

This "Quinn" one looks very promising... I might get one of these some day if they are on sale. Also the 1/2 inch variant.

Might seem like overkill but when I am doing something mission critical like a cam bolt, I'd probably check torque using 2 different metrologies. "Trust but verify" is the name of the game for a guy like me with cheap infrequently used tools that are never re-calibrated ever in their life :nabble_smiley_blush:

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/torque-wrenches/38-in-drive-59-59-ft-lb-digital-torque-adapter-58705.html

That looks like an updated version of mine. I will have to go get it and take pictures.

That looks like an updated version of mine. I will have to go get it and take pictures.

Well I have some interesting news

It doesn’t smoke anymore on cold starts… but there is still smoke after things are fully warm

Seeing is believing — check out cold start video below

It is confounded because I don’t know if it’s the high mileage oil or if it’s because I also happened to realize this morning my breather actually wasn’t breathing. The engine came to me with this breather… I was fully aware it had a PCV valve on it. Just didn’t put 2 and 2 together and realize PCV valves don’t breathe in the opposite direction 😖 never claimed to know much 🥸

84F30991-BC56-41E3-8534-F302E4D3D030.jpeg.0354bae78312282972b559ffbba81d2c.jpeg

There is still the issue of smoking/oil burning when fully warm

Well I have some interesting news

It doesn’t smoke anymore on cold starts… but there is still smoke after things are fully warm

Seeing is believing — check out cold start video below

It is confounded because I don’t know if it’s the high mileage oil or if it’s because I also happened to realize this morning my breather actually wasn’t breathing. The engine came to me with this breather… I was fully aware it had a PCV valve on it. Just didn’t put 2 and 2 together and realize PCV valves don’t breathe in the opposite direction 😖 never claimed to know much 🥸

There is still the issue of smoking/oil burning when fully warm

Interesting.

I don't think I've ever seen a breather hooked up to a PCV.

There's got to be a dozen plastic elbows in the HELP! aisle

So, actually providing filtered makeup air to the opposite end of the opposite valve cover should help clear vapor, mist and smoke out of the crankcase.

I don't know that it will remedy the oil consumption.

Interesting.

I don't think I've ever seen a breather hooked up to a PCV.

There's got to be a dozen plastic elbows in the HELP! aisle

So, actually providing filtered makeup air to the opposite end of the opposite valve cover should help clear vapor, mist and smoke out of the crankcase.

I don't know that it will remedy the oil consumption.

Yes I don't believe it should have a PCV valve. It seems like something I would have done :nabble_smiley_cry:....but old videos of the engine the day I bought that truck show this valve installed.. Well I obviously allowed it at least..... I am pretty sure I have an elbow hose I removed off something else.

Just to test... I installed the PCV valve back in the breather right after that cold start and it started smoking slightly...

Here is the video of that... shot exactly 2 mins after the previous video...

Maybe there is some hope in installing a catch can.. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

At my last job, I handled parts and some other areas.

One was getting every tool we needed to get calibrated, calibrated.

We had a gent come through from I think Oklahoma, he came once a year.

One thing we did was torque wrenches, and personal ones if you used them on the airplanes.

I probably handled that for 10-15 years.

Only one torque wrench was ever rejected, it was mine. A Craftsman, he said it was accurate but the lock didn't function properly. It would slip past if you weren't careful.

Took it home and used it. I was amazed how well those torque wrenches held up. The companies were Snap-On, but different brands from other mechanics.

Yes I don't believe it should have a PCV valve. It seems like something I would have done :nabble_smiley_cry:....but old videos of the engine the day I bought that truck show this valve installed.. Well I obviously allowed it at least..... I am pretty sure I have an elbow hose I removed off something else.

Just to test... I installed the PCV valve back in the breather right after that cold start and it started smoking slightly...

Here is the video of that... shot exactly 2 mins after the previous video...

Maybe there is some hope in installing a catch can.. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Installed the catch can. Tell you what, there is definitely more real estate under a bullnose hood. The dentside double inner fenders (metal + plastic underneath) take waaay too much room and the blower motor box is like 2 times bigger. The only place I could comfortably install it and still use the stock air cleaner was on the metal cover of the blower motor box. Helped that I previously removed all rivets on the cover and replaced with nuts/bolts to replace the blower motor.

8761A40A-484B-4B2B-865E-11B5BFF775FC.jpeg.2e9bfca77210b3ac9d38b06878aed565.jpeg

At my last job, I handled parts and some other areas.

One was getting every tool we needed to get calibrated, calibrated.

We had a gent come through from I think Oklahoma, he came once a year.

One thing we did was torque wrenches, and personal ones if you used them on the airplanes.

I probably handled that for 10-15 years.

Only one torque wrench was ever rejected, it was mine. A Craftsman, he said it was accurate but the lock didn't function properly. It would slip past if you weren't careful.

Took it home and used it. I was amazed how well those torque wrenches held up. The companies were Snap-On, but different brands from other mechanics.

Good to know that the wrench calibration can be trusted (At least the top brands).... that probably depends on the user bringing it down to the lowest setting to avoid hysteresis?

Both the 3/8th harbor freight ones I got rid of would not lock anymore. Thats how they failed. 3rd one is starting to act up the same way !!

My most reliable one is my 1/2 inch Husky one (50-250 ft lbs). I have a 1/2 inch Tekton as well (20-150ft lbs) which is good...

The harbor freight ones are 1/4 inch and 3/8ths... 1/4 inch ones work well... but I have been lately using a beam wrench for critical 1/4 inch needs....