Bullnose Forums

Restoring C610 - 1G side (female)

You're right, all the "female" side of the C610 will go out with the 1G itself and its external regulator.

But the job I did today to reconnect the «male» part of the C610 won't be lost, it stays in the truck and it will plug into the 3G harness you sent me.

I know I am losing my time trying to rebuild the 1G harness (female side of the C610). But I am on vacations and I have all my time.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

So why did you butcher the existing harness?

How about a compromise that at least we can all agree is better than the Clymer manual covered in scribble?

1985-etm-page17.thumb.jpg.16225e11bc71ce4bb4e7e40f6d7ed4d3.jpg

Here we see C610 in 4 locations.

Either side of the ammeter, at the bottom going to the regulator, and in 37 the cab power wire, before it splits at splice 101 for the constant & key on fuselinks

How about a compromise that at least we can all agree is better than the Clymer manual covered in scribble?

Here we see C610 in 4 locations.

Either side of the ammeter, at the bottom going to the regulator, and in 37 the cab power wire, before it splits at splice 101 for the constant & key on fuselinks

Ok, in the light of day I may be starting to understand a bit.

I missed that the title of the thread is "Restoring C610 - 1G side (female)". :nabble_smiley_blush:

So NOW I understand a little bit of what you are trying to do, Jeff. Not WHY you are trying to do it mind you, but WHAT.

So help me understand the "why"? What are you trying to accomplish? And, what does your harness on Big Bro look like? In other words, what are we trying to connect to?

If we can stay with the EVTM page that Jim posted, and which I think I understand quite well, and if you could show us where your harness is cut by showing cut lines on the schematic, then we might be able to help you.

And, sorry for the confusion. Somehow last night I totally missed the title of the thread. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I missed that the title of the thread is "Restoring C610 - 1G side (female)". :nabble_smiley_blush:

So NOW I understand a little bit of what you are trying to do, Jeff. Not WHY you are trying to do it mind you, but WHAT.

So help me understand the "why"? What are you trying to accomplish? And, what does your harness on Big Bro look like? In other words, what are we trying to connect to?

If we can stay with the EVTM page that Jim posted, and which I think I understand quite well, and if you could show us where your harness is cut by showing cut lines on the schematic, then we might be able to help you.

And, sorry for the confusion. Somehow last night I totally missed the title of the thread. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Haha! No problem Gary!

I know y'all are so excited about my "plug'n play 3G swap" that any post I make is considered as a step in that direction.

But no, not right now guys. Be patient one more day:

1- Yesterday, I reinstalled the C-610 connector in Big Bro, since the original was butchered in the past. And I need the "male" side properly installed in the truck in order to plug the futur 3G harness.

2- It's raining A LOT here today, no garage at our chalet, so I have to wait until tomorrow (maybe this afternoon?) to step in the 3G swap project itself.

For now, the goal of this specific thread is not about the 3G project, it is only focussed on the C-610 connector restoration.

Proceeding to this reconstruction, I was wondering about the "female" side of that connector (the 1G alternator side). I have absolutely no question about the "male" side (the truck side), all clear for me.

And the more I read, the more I realize that I correctly understood the "female" harness wiring, yep there are 4 wires splined at S-202, including the Big Yellow one.

I admit I should have started with the EVTM diagram... :nabble_smiley_blush:

The other sources are correct but much more difficult to follow.

Here below, I colored separately the "male" and "female" sides of the famous C-610 connector.

I'm confident that I restored the wiring correctly, these EVTM diagrams are matching with the other ones I previously look at.

The female side of C-620:

C610-FEMALE.jpg.a54ebf589702d38dba2b260a197f6606.jpg

And the male side of C-610:

C610-MALE.jpg.c8fbca4ce2888d1cfc348a85e92ce871.jpg

If nobody has objection, at soon as the rain slows down I'll reconnect the battery and try a start.

:nabble_smiley_super:

For the 3G swap itself, I'll return to the «Big Brother is going 3G» original thread.

Jim, I did not cut out this connector... I'm Big Bro's third owner (first an outfitter, second my wife's father). I own Big Bro for about 20 years, they had plenty of time to do it before I came.

In Salt Kingdom, this C-610 connector is exposed to accelerated ageing and corrosion. I supposed they found easier to cut it out and spline the wires.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n158324/1985-etm-page17.jpg

Thanks Jim to have reminded me to the EVTM! It's a shame that I went to more complicated diagrams without thinking to look at it!

:nabble_smiley_blush:

Jim, I did not cut out this connector... I'm Big Bro's third owner (first an outfitter, second my wife's father). I own Big Bro for about 20 years, they had plenty of time to do it before I came.

In Salt Kingdom, this C-610 connector is exposed to accelerated ageing and corrosion. I supposed they found easier to cut it out and spline the wires.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n158324/1985-etm-page17.jpg

Thanks Jim to have reminded me to the EVTM! It's a shame that I went to more complicated diagrams without thinking to look at it!

:nabble_smiley_blush:

Gentlemen,

Starting test made, everything works! C-610 back at its place (male AND female), all connections properly made.

:nabble_anim_handshake:

So, this thread is closed, let's go back to Big Brother is going 3G thread!

Haha! No problem Gary!

I know y'all are so excited about my "plug'n play 3G swap" that any post I make is considered as a step in that direction.

But no, not right now guys. Be patient one more day:

1- Yesterday, I reinstalled the C-610 connector in Big Bro, since the original was butchered in the past. And I need the "male" side properly installed in the truck in order to plug the futur 3G harness.

2- It's raining A LOT here today, no garage at our chalet, so I have to wait until tomorrow (maybe this afternoon?) to step in the 3G swap project itself.

For now, the goal of this specific thread is not about the 3G project, it is only focussed on the C-610 connector restoration.

Proceeding to this reconstruction, I was wondering about the "female" side of that connector (the 1G alternator side). I have absolutely no question about the "male" side (the truck side), all clear for me.

And the more I read, the more I realize that I correctly understood the "female" harness wiring, yep there are 4 wires splined at S-202, including the Big Yellow one.

I admit I should have started with the EVTM diagram... :nabble_smiley_blush:

The other sources are correct but much more difficult to follow.

Here below, I colored separately the "male" and "female" sides of the famous C-610 connector.

I'm confident that I restored the wiring correctly, these EVTM diagrams are matching with the other ones I previously look at.

The female side of C-620:

And the male side of C-610:

If nobody has objection, at soon as the rain slows down I'll reconnect the battery and try a start.

For the 3G swap itself, I'll return to the «Big Brother is going 3G» original thread.

I would generally say "cab side" and "engine side" as, often enough, the male plastic housing has female wire terminals and the 'shell' or female plug has male pins....

Oh well.... off to the actual job at hand!

I would generally say "cab side" and "engine side" as, often enough, the male plastic housing has female wire terminals and the 'shell' or female plug has male pins....

Oh well.... off to the actual job at hand!

Congratulations!!!

And I agree with cab vs engine instead of male/female. That kept me looking last night as I was replying.