Bullnose Forums

Can you put a '78 engine into an '81?

.... Transmission bolt up, I can confirm first hand is manual linkage, and I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do regards of finding a bell housing or replacing my transmission as a whole. I'm swapping out my Dana-60 for a Dana out of an 84 that has 3.54s and an LSD....

If you use a transmission that has an integrated bellhousing (any automatic or many 5 speed overdrive manual transmissions, including all from Ford trucks) you will need to get a transmission that fits your engine (as Jim said).

If you use a transmission that does NOT have an integrated bellhousing (old 4 speed manuals and a few 5 speed overdrives, such as NV4500 from Dodge or Chevy) then you will need the bellhousing for an old 4 speed manual that fits your engine.

If you are thinking about a 5 speed, none of the Ford transmissions will have a manual clutch linkage. So you'd "need to get crafty on it" to make it work in your truck. Probably more work than you want to bite off. And if you are putting in a non-Ford 5 speed you may also need an adapter to fit the trans to the bellhousing. So either way a 5 speed will complicate the process.

.... Transmission bolt up, I can confirm first hand is manual linkage, and I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do regards of finding a bell housing or replacing my transmission as a whole. I'm swapping out my Dana-60 for a Dana out of an 84 that has 3.54s and an LSD....

If you use a transmission that has an integrated bellhousing (any automatic or many 5 speed overdrive manual transmissions, including all from Ford trucks) you will need to get a transmission that fits your engine (as Jim said).

If you use a transmission that does NOT have an integrated bellhousing (old 4 speed manuals and a few 5 speed overdrives, such as NV4500 from Dodge or Chevy) then you will need the bellhousing for an old 4 speed manual that fits your engine.

If you are thinking about a 5 speed, none of the Ford transmissions will have a manual clutch linkage. So you'd "need to get crafty on it" to make it work in your truck. Probably more work than you want to bite off. And if you are putting in a non-Ford 5 speed you may also need an adapter to fit the trans to the bellhousing. So either way a 5 speed will complicate the process.

The NP and both BW 4 speed gearboxes use the common Ford 'butterfly' bolt pattern to attach to the bellhousing.

There is a glitch with the 351M/400. Yes, it has the same bolt pattern as a 460, but Ford moved the flywheel rearward ~3/8" on the 460. So a ZF5's input shaft will just barely touch the pilot bearing and the bearing won't last long.

So to put a ZF5 on an M-block you need a spacer that Tim Meyer sells. I don't see it on his site right now but he has them as well as a flywheel if you want it. Tell him I sent you.

There is a glitch with the 351M/400. Yes, it has the same bolt pattern as a 460, but Ford moved the flywheel rearward ~3/8" on the 460. So a ZF5's input shaft will just barely touch the pilot bearing and the bearing won't last long.

So to put a ZF5 on an M-block you need a spacer that Tim Meyer sells. I don't see it on his site right now but he has them as well as a flywheel if you want it. Tell him I sent you.

Finding a ZF5 that will be in my goal budget for this project isn't a likely option. The transmission by itself is a pretty penny, but trying to find one with all the other bits and bobs and odds and ends... It's probably an unlikely solution to the transmission situation as it currently stands.

That being said, my grandpa has a 78 F250 SuperCab Camper Special with a 351M and a interesting 4-Speed. I believe he said it's a top loader, with a flipped H pattern (reverse being top left). He considered working a deal with me if I were to yank it, but there's another truck with a trashed 400 that has a T19, so I might drop that trans and steal the bell housing.

I have solutions to problems, just undecided for now. I'm going to some of the surrounding junkyards where I live on Friday the 2nd to see if I can find a pulled 400 or a truck that has one hiding beneath it's hood.

Finding a ZF5 that will be in my goal budget for this project isn't a likely option. The transmission by itself is a pretty penny, but trying to find one with all the other bits and bobs and odds and ends... It's probably an unlikely solution to the transmission situation as it currently stands.

That being said, my grandpa has a 78 F250 SuperCab Camper Special with a 351M and a interesting 4-Speed. I believe he said it's a top loader, with a flipped H pattern (reverse being top left). He considered working a deal with me if I were to yank it, but there's another truck with a trashed 400 that has a T19, so I might drop that trans and steal the bell housing.

I have solutions to problems, just undecided for now. I'm going to some of the surrounding junkyards where I live on Friday the 2nd to see if I can find a pulled 400 or a truck that has one hiding beneath it's hood.

It may be a T-18 (no synchro 1st) but unless he installed it himself the T-19 (Synchro 1st and PTO windows both sides) only ever came behind the 460, and -close ratio- behind the IDI....

Happy hunting! 👍

• 2 weeks later...

The 400 is a DS-II engine, you can use the same module but because the 300's oil, water senders and distributor/coil are in far different locations you will have to shorten & extend the engine harness accordingly.

Matt brings up the point of front vs rear sump.

All the front sump engines I've seen have the dipstick in the timing case.

You might look into E-van engines because of this.

The 351M/400 uses a 385 series bellhousing pattern.

You will need a transmission from a M/400 or a 460 to bolt to that engine.

Now that I'm looking back on this thread, I realize I've been confused and may have misunderstood what you said and I'm looking for some clarification.

You had said that there are two type of engine, one with a front sump, and one with a rear. What my question has remained to be is what is used in the bullnose, and what one is used in the dentsides.

I know the 400 was offered in trucks in '77 and was discontinued in '82. So was there a change in the sumps between years they were offered in the trucks, or was it a model difference between the F-Series and E-Series?

Now that I'm looking back on this thread, I realize I've been confused and may have misunderstood what you said and I'm looking for some clarification.

You had said that there are two type of engine, one with a front sump, and one with a rear. What my question has remained to be is what is used in the bullnose, and what one is used in the dentsides.

I know the 400 was offered in trucks in '77 and was discontinued in '82. So was there a change in the sumps between years they were offered in the trucks, or was it a model difference between the F-Series and E-Series?

The engine cradle and frame are very different 79 to 80.

In the 70's engines had front sump and the dipstick in the front timing case.

In the '80's the cross member was towards the front and the dipstick typically entered on the side of the oil pan sump, towards the rear on the driver's side.

1980-on trucks have an extended oil pump pickup.

You can see the pipe bolted to the 3/7 main cap.

Vans of this time had a kinda split sump because of how they fit over the front axle.