Bullnose Forums

Speedometer woes

Yes indeed!!

I spoke to the dealers about installing a DFM disable dongle, but apparently that can void the warranty. Well my wife was well advised of the perils of too much technology and my recommendation was to find a pre-2007 low mileage suburban but that wasn't reassuring from a "drive anywhere" standpoint to her.

She choose what to play with... for 3 years I don't have to worry about anything. For 5 years I don't have to worry about powertrain. After that I am on my own.. and not really sure how well I can service most things. Heck there is no transmission dipstick and changing transmission fluid requires removal of exhaust from both manifolds, at least there is an engine oil dipstick but that will be gone soon too I'm sure in newer models.

Or just go electric and there's no fuel pump, injectors, oil or gearbox to even consider... :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or just go electric and there's no fuel pump, injectors, oil or gearbox to even consider... :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Yes that may be a good idea. Both are designed for a ~~15 year life cycle :nabble_smiley_evil:

I am definitely disappointed at the terrible fuel (in)efficiency of the new V8s despite all the enhancements and reliability trade-offs... I can't even imagine how terrible things would be if a 3 speed automatic was behind them.

Yes that may be a good idea. Both are designed for a ~~15 year life cycle :nabble_smiley_evil:

I am definitely disappointed at the terrible fuel (in)efficiency of the new V8s despite all the enhancements and reliability trade-offs... I can't even imagine how terrible things would be if a 3 speed automatic was behind them.

How far does your wife typically, daily... weekly?

Honestly, if I could give up 90% of my routine maintenance except for tires & wiper blades + never have to bother with stopping at a gas station, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm not interested in a car payment, and I'd want V2H & V2G, but around here there are plenty of empty HVDC chargers and I could easily get past Boston, Albany, Philadelphia, and back on the sub 400 mile range my customer with the R1T reports.

With Ford shifting production towards the eTransit it's becoming more & more tempting to get a vehicle I can work from.

How far does your wife typically, daily... weekly?

Honestly, if I could give up 90% of my routine maintenance except for tires & wiper blades + never have to bother with stopping at a gas station, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm not interested in a car payment, and I'd want V2H & V2G, but around here there are plenty of empty HVDC chargers and I could easily get past Boston, Albany, Philadelphia, and back on the sub 400 mile range my customer with the R1T reports.

With Ford shifting production towards the eTransit it's becoming more & more tempting to get a vehicle I can work from.

Not much. Maybe 5-6K miles per year. Her trip to Arkansas during Christmas is critical and pretty much defines her need. Need room for entire family + Christmas presents + Dog :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: We travel to visit family members in the boonies. 4x4 is a must have to visit her dad if there is any amount of ice (Ronnie is too cheap to tame his driveway aka. climb up the hill) :nabble_smiley_oh: Towns with

Not much. Maybe 5-6K miles per year. Her trip to Arkansas during Christmas is critical and pretty much defines her need. Need room for entire family + Christmas presents + Dog :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: We travel to visit family members in the boonies. 4x4 is a must have to visit her dad if there is any amount of ice (Ronnie is too cheap to tame his driveway aka. climb up the hill) :nabble_smiley_oh: Towns with

There's a Walmart.

They usually have L2 chargers, if not L3... 🤷‍♂️

You could definitely plug in at Ronnie's and get 100+ miles overnight on regular 120V power.

I may be disowned by Allison's extended family if caught in an EV :nabble_anim_blbl:

The first time I met her family, I was driving a Toyota Prius (now did I go from Prius to a 460?? ha ha ), and she walked up the hill to tell her dad that we were there (no cell phone service) as my prius wouldn't have made it up there....

While she was gone, I was taking a "comfort break" in the woods, I saw a large tractor approach me. And here I am, a random Indian guy with a Prius in Hagarville, AR. I was darn sure the farmer was going to shoot me. He just gave me a look and left. Ronnie and Allison drove down the hill in a 89 Blazer and got me.

Later we saw the farmer on our way, I realized it was Allison's uncle. He was very nice to me at that point, he said he just wasn't sure who I was and he hadn't also seen "That Japmobile" before :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I may be disowned by Allison's extended family if caught in an EV :nabble_anim_blbl:

The first time I met her family, I was driving a Toyota Prius (now did I go from Prius to a 460?? ha ha ), and she walked up the hill to tell her dad that we were there (no cell phone service) as my prius wouldn't have made it up there....

While she was gone, I was taking a "comfort break" in the woods, I saw a large tractor approach me. And here I am, a random Indian guy with a Prius in Hagarville, AR. I was darn sure the farmer was going to shoot me. He just gave me a look and left. Ronnie and Allison drove down the hill in a 89 Blazer and got me.

Later we saw the farmer on our way, I realized it was Allison's uncle. He was very nice to me at that point, he said he just wasn't sure who I was and he hadn't also seen "That Japmobile" before :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I can assure you that the R1T (with its nearly 1,000 hp AWD) _will_ make it up the hill! 🤣

(I'm suddenly reminded of Kate Bush and Donald Sutherland cloudbursting). :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Some food for thought, I have some friends that own a small vehicle for going to work and groceries etc. then just rent a larger vehicle of the type they need the odd time for a trip. They claim it saves them money in the long run.

Some food for thought, I have some friends that own a small vehicle for going to work and groceries etc. then just rent a larger vehicle of the type they need the odd time for a trip. They claim it saves them money in the long run.

Yes... I get that and I have friends that do that too.... that would be smart financially.

I'm unfortunately the type that rents nothing. The only thing I rent is a car hauler every once in a while.... but if I had the land to park one, I would buy that as well.... I am not sure my approach is the best....

The only reason I agreed to buying it was safety. Larger vehicles, sitting up higher can be safer generally.

Yes... I get that and I have friends that do that too.... that would be smart financially.

I'm unfortunately the type that rents nothing. The only thing I rent is a car hauler every once in a while.... but if I had the land to park one, I would buy that as well.... I am not sure my approach is the best....

The only reason I agreed to buying it was safety. Larger vehicles, sitting up higher can be safer generally.

I hear you I avoid renting or borrowing whenever possible too.