Bullnose Forums

Anybody repair their steering box?

Right

I've read that, and asked Bill what "sensitive instruments he used back at NN.

But I uncluttered Danny's thread and haven't heard from him.

I don't like having to pull these boxes out.

At least I can get my pitman arm puller on it and still have room to swing a hammer! 👍

Jim, it was real sensitive low value torque indicator. I have got to find the 1991 Truck service manual as I believe that was where I found the torque value for the thrust bearing on the spool valve shaft.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car done :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Dorman needs to put this in their marketing campaign :nabble_smiley_evil:

I am not sure if it's been mentioned yet....but double check your lines. If you put them on backwards you'll only have power steering in one direction. It's easy to accidently put them in the wrong hole. I ran into this once and chased my tail trying to figure it out. Double check them before you go blowing some money....I learned the hard way.

Best of luck. The box rebuild kits can be bought thru parts stores. They aren't too bad to rebuild.

I am not sure if it's been mentioned yet....but double check your lines. If you put them on backwards you'll only have power steering in one direction. It's easy to accidently put them in the wrong hole. I ran into this once and chased my tail trying to figure it out. Double check them before you go blowing some money....I learned the hard way.

Best of luck. The box rebuild kits can be bought thru parts stores. They aren't too bad to rebuild.

I'm pretty sure the lines are correct.

I have a van pump and took pictures.

Haven't been able to find a spool valve, but did find seal kits on eBay.

For now I'm just horsing the wheel in right turns (parallel parking can be a challenge when people are "close behind")