Distributor recommendations

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on "team Gary". No Holleys for me.

Another reason to dislike Holley Carbs:

An interesting twist to this story:

This truck came to me with a Holley Brawler in hand.

someone ruined it be taking a wizzer wheel to it.

Now I know why.

The back vacuum fitting on the Holleys hits against the EGR spacer plate.

I guess they just cranked on the carb nuts as hard as they could because they cracked the body of the throttle plate at that tube.

I bought a new Holley and that is how I figured things out.

So after making the EGR delete plate, I just took my grinder to the spacer plate until the surfaces mated and I can still use that vac if needed.

20240719_160557.jpg.12ba0683b6b2d54a6c1a0e8c497c7c11.jpg

20240719_162633.jpg.8b337248381a295b0d6f1f2461379905.jpg

20240719_194453.jpg.263ee4db41bc0d40e5f2eb426df57bb9.jpg

20240719_195504.jpg.329bbc6363a41f8e211abc6acfd451dd.jpg

Now I know why.

I guess they just cranked on the carb nuts as hard as they could because they cracked the body of the throttle plate at that tube.

So after making the EGR delete plate, I just took my grinder to the spacer plate until the surfaces mated and I can still use that vac if needed.

test fit. modify. repeat. this is how you do it. never assume it will fit. use mirrors, cameras or any other to see. good job. there are so many different specific versions of carbs spec'd out by car companies and made by subs like carter, Holley etc. not all 600's are the same.

Now I know why.

Hmmm

I've never had any problems mounting a Holley on an EGR. :nabble_anim_confused:

But then I've always used a proper base gasket with bushes in the corners, so you can't crank on the ears hard enough to warp the flange. (see my advice to Vivek the other day) Not a pizza box or gasket cork to seal hot exhaust gases.

The 750 I've got on my truck now isn't a problem because I have a Trans,-Dapt spacer and I'm actually using that port.

Cry about it if you like, but we can't fix stupid.

Hmmm

I've never had any problems mounting a Holley on an EGR. :nabble_anim_confused:

But then I've always used a proper base gasket with bushes in the corners, so you can't crank on the ears hard enough to warp the flange. (see my advice to Vivek the other day) Not a pizza box or gasket cork to seal hot exhaust gases.

The 750 I've got on my truck now isn't a problem because I have a Trans,-Dapt spacer and I'm actually using that port.

Cry about it if you like, but we can't fix stupid.

My distributor was definitely NFG so I ordered an HEI one.

I'm wiring up a 12g relay.

I gapped the plugs at .045.

I'm Just waiting for Saturday delivery.

Fingers crossed. It would be nice to hear it run for the first time.

My distributor was definitely NFG so I ordered an HEI one.

I'm wiring up a 12g relay.

I gapped the plugs at .045.

I'm Just waiting for Saturday delivery.

Fingers crossed. It would be nice to hear it run for the first time.

Please let us know how it works out for you and leave a vendor review in the marketplace section. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Please let us know how it works out for you and leave a vendor review in the marketplace section. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Well, it starts.

I havent put a light on it yet, but if the distributor needs to go further counter-clockwise, that would be a problem because as is, one of the cap notches is already up against the water tube.

Well, it starts.

I havent put a light on it yet, but if the distributor needs to go further counter-clockwise, that would be a problem because as is, one of the cap notches is already up against the water tube.

Just shift every wire over one terminal and you'll have another 45° of adjustment. 💡👍

Just shift every wire over one terminal and you'll have another 45° of adjustment. 💡👍

that can be a fair thing to do. if you are using an hei then that is definately one of the issues. on 302/5.0 it is also right against the heater hose fitting.

that can be a fair thing to do. if you are using an hei then that is definately one of the issues. on 302/5.0 it is also right against the heater hose fitting.

I shifted the wires 1 terminal counter-clockwise.

I also took a grinder to the water fitting to get full range of movement.

Guess what, I drove it around the block for the first time.20240805_094307.jpg.46c73a1e2ed7e1c9680be85ee60ac32f.jpg

Thanks guys.