Bullnose Forums

New PMGR Just bumping against flywheel

Wow!

I don't see nearly as many trucks as you have, but I've never seen or even heard of this!

Thank you for the data point!

(another one to file away :nabble_anim_crazy:)

The perils and pros of reman!

Last week I was complaining about reman PS pumps not fitting the pulley I had.

Speaking of.. I saw a guy on YouTube that broke off a starter ear last week... sounds similar to what Matt was talking about

The perils and pros of reman!

Last week I was complaining about reman PS pumps not fitting the pulley I had.

Speaking of.. I saw a guy on YouTube that broke off a starter ear last week... sounds similar to what Matt was talking about

You can do the same thing if your automatic starter hits the manual flywheel and doesn't engage.

Granted, it is now permanently engaged and will destroy itself in short order when the engine starts, but if it doesn't fit into place on the flywheel you will never get the starter ears tight.

I don't see any tolerance issues with JN or DB Electric starters, and I've installed a bunch of them.

They've sold tens if not hundreds of thousands.

You'd think their QC is up to par by now????

I'd avoid DB... the one I bought for my 300/AOD combo didn't fit. With a parts store remanufactured unit, you often get a good warranty (lifetime?) where if it fails you can exchange it without messing with shipping. Not to mention if it's remanufactured, it fit something in the past. Which is what I did... pretty sure I got an AZ Duralast (remanufactured) which has been running well for over 2 years so far.

It's the same starter as any Windsor.

The only real difference on install is that the ground cable goes to one side. :nabble_anim_confused:

• 2 weeks later...

It's the same starter as any Windsor.

The only real difference on install is that the ground cable goes to one side. :nabble_anim_confused:

Got it installed runs great except the fuel now pumping out of the fuel pump weep hole. I posted a question about it in another thread. Thanks for your help. Oh and bye the way that new starter is very quiet.

Got it installed runs great except the fuel now pumping out of the fuel pump weep hole. I posted a question about it in another thread. Thanks for your help. Oh and bye the way that new starter is very quiet.

Glad you got the starter problem sorted. Bummer about the fuel pump. But these trucks are link onions - plenty of layers/problems to peel, but when you get done you can have a Bloomin' Onion. :nabble_smiley_wink:

very good point. I have seen more than a few times where new starters did NOT fit in the mid plate and the installer just assumed it was just snug and tightened the bolts to the point of cracking an ear off the starter. this has not happened with remanned starters. they are used bases and have already fit before. proven!

Mat, probably made of the best Chinesium.