Bullnose Forums

New PMGR Just bumping against flywheel

Installed the New PMGR starter today and its doing the same thing the old starter was doing with the exception I can barely hear it touching the flywheel and then spins freely. It looks long enough to hit the flywheel, Battery has 12.2v does that have anything to do with it? Is it possible the flywheel teeth are so worn it wont engage? Throw me some ideas thanx!

(A) there are differences between automatic and manual transmission applications - do you have the correct starter.

(B) If a manual transmission application there are cases of the ring gear coming loose and even splitting.

© Automatic transmission, loose or cracked flex plate will give you all kind of strange results.

(D) There are different tooth counts available on some of the PMGR starters, I believe it is 9 or 10 teeth, or possibly 10 or 11. A higher tooth count equals a larger diameter on the gear.

(E) since you do not say what engine/transmission you have I for one am flying blind as to what could be the issue

(F) where did you get the starter?

(A) there are differences between automatic and manual transmission applications - do you have the correct starter.

(B) If a manual transmission application there are cases of the ring gear coming loose and even splitting.

© Automatic transmission, loose or cracked flex plate will give you all kind of strange results.

(D) There are different tooth counts available on some of the PMGR starters, I believe it is 9 or 10 teeth, or possibly 10 or 11. A higher tooth count equals a larger diameter on the gear.

(E) since you do not say what engine/transmission you have I for one am flying blind as to what could be the issue

(F) where did you get the starter?

Never mind... I'm a dummy sometimes. I have a manual starter. Thanks for the input its never wasted.

Do you think this will fit? https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/new-ford-bronco-4-9l-5-0l-5-8l-starter-92-93-94-95-96.html

I read that ford went to AOD transmissions after 88

I'd avoid DB... the one I bought for my 300/AOD combo didn't fit. With a parts store remanufactured unit, you often get a good warranty (lifetime?) where if it fails you can exchange it without messing with shipping. Not to mention if it's remanufactured, it fit something in the past. Which is what I did... pretty sure I got an AZ Duralast (remanufactured) which has been running well for over 2 years so far.

Do you think this will fit? https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/new-ford-bronco-4-9l-5-0l-5-8l-starter-92-93-94-95-96.html

I read that ford went to AOD transmissions after 88

yes, this should fit.

generally speaking, it matters more that it is manual or automatic. also, what engine series. like 4.9,302,351w next would be 460 and the others in that series as they mount differently.

other than that, it is important that the 86 Windsor used a starter motor without solenoid, and this is the best time to upgrade to the pmgr which has the starter mounted solenoid. there is the need for rewiring the starter to accommodate but it's simple. there is an instruction here in documents. many here could talk you through it also.

I'd avoid DB... the one I bought for my 300/AOD combo didn't fit. With a parts store remanufactured unit, you often get a good warranty (lifetime?) where if it fails you can exchange it without messing with shipping. Not to mention if it's remanufactured, it fit something in the past. Which is what I did... pretty sure I got an AZ Duralast (remanufactured) which has been running well for over 2 years so far.

very good point. I have seen more than a few times where new starters did NOT fit in the mid plate and the installer just assumed it was just snug and tightened the bolts to the point of cracking an ear off the starter. this has not happened with remanned starters. they are used bases and have already fit before. proven!

very good point. I have seen more than a few times where new starters did NOT fit in the mid plate and the installer just assumed it was just snug and tightened the bolts to the point of cracking an ear off the starter. this has not happened with remanned starters. they are used bases and have already fit before. proven!

I followed the instructions posted here on the PMGR I just installed and it was very easy. I just bought the manual version like a dumb dumb. I'm gonna reorder today. Thanx again to you guys.

Wow!

I don't see nearly as many trucks as you have, but I've never seen or even heard of this!

Thank you for the data point!

(another one to file away :nabble_anim_crazy:)