Bullnose Forums

The dreaded steering box crack has struck...

You got that front axle free?!? Those go for good money around here, I was happy to get mine for a few hundred, I had to pull it, and it needs completely rebuilt. I have so many things in the queue for my life right now that I'm not sure when I'll get to the SAS, but I have 90% of the parts, so it's just working my way up to it.

Now I want to go out and look my frame over with all of this cracking talk.

Yes my buddy and I part out 73-79 trucks on the regular. He bought a 77 plow truck for a couple hundred bucks that we gutted and sold off everything good on and then scrapped it and then gave me the front end out of it. It needs to be totally gone through and the radius arm studs are rotted through but it didn't cost me anything.

I would check your frame. It's common enough that it happens on stock trucks too.

Went out and briefly looked at mine, but I don't really see anything. Is the crack going to be easily visible?

Funny about those radius arms; I've got two pair, both rust pitted under the frame mount bushing areas. One set is not bad, the other is pretty rough (hourglass shaped). Going to run the "not bad" set, though both of mine came from Broncos, and I need to bolt the shock mount to one of them. My D44 came from a Bronco "mud truck", so it was well worn and abused. Going to put all new guts in it. Have a new set of 3.54 gears I got cheap, but not sure I want to mix the 3.50 rear with them. My old 72 Bronco had that gear split from the factory, but I'd still rather stay 3.50/3.50 if I can.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out and briefly looked at mine, but I don't really see anything. Is the crack going to be easily visible?

Funny about those radius arms; I've got two pair, both rust pitted under the frame mount bushing areas. One set is not bad, the other is pretty rough (hourglass shaped). Going to run the "not bad" set, though both of mine came from Broncos, and I need to bolt the shock mount to one of them. My D44 came from a Bronco "mud truck", so it was well worn and abused. Going to put all new guts in it. Have a new set of 3.54 gears I got cheap, but not sure I want to mix the 3.50 rear with them. My old 72 Bronco had that gear split from the factory, but I'd still rather stay 3.50/3.50 if I can.

The crack isn't always easily visible. I had Dad's truck on the lift and took a pic after pulling the steering box off. The pic was from the front towards the rear kind of down the driver's side frame on the inside using the flash. I put the pic on the monitor of the shop computer and saw the crack. Went back to the truck and couldn't find it. Used a light from the front and there it was. The light caused a shadow at the crack, just like the flash had done.

In that case the crack was at the back edge of the bottom rear mounting flange. The hard edge of the box concentrated the forces right there and eventually cracked the frame.

The crack isn't always easily visible. I had Dad's truck on the lift and took a pic after pulling the steering box off. The pic was from the front towards the rear kind of down the driver's side frame on the inside using the flash. I put the pic on the monitor of the shop computer and saw the crack. Went back to the truck and couldn't find it. Used a light from the front and there it was. The light caused a shadow at the crack, just like the flash had done.

In that case the crack was at the back edge of the bottom rear mounting flange. The hard edge of the box concentrated the forces right there and eventually cracked the frame.

So I guess if or until the steering gets loose from the frame flexing, one likely won't know. I don't seem to have any problems with that, thankfully. Whenever I finally get to the front axle swap, I'll likely use the "Brocoair" track bar bracket which basically gussets the frame to the crossmember. Reading a little some think that will help with the issue to some degree, but I'd still like to nip it in the bud before a problem arises. If Ford performed the TSB on this issue, the rivet you can see from below should be a bolt/lock nut? Mine is a rivet, so if that's the case, it never got addressed by Ford. I really have no desire (or time) to pull the steering box to look, so it's going to be something that sneaks up on me, I'm afraid.

So I guess if or until the steering gets loose from the frame flexing, one likely won't know. I don't seem to have any problems with that, thankfully. Whenever I finally get to the front axle swap, I'll likely use the "Brocoair" track bar bracket which basically gussets the frame to the crossmember. Reading a little some think that will help with the issue to some degree, but I'd still like to nip it in the bud before a problem arises. If Ford performed the TSB on this issue, the rivet you can see from below should be a bolt/lock nut? Mine is a rivet, so if that's the case, it never got addressed by Ford. I really have no desire (or time) to pull the steering box to look, so it's going to be something that sneaks up on me, I'm afraid.

Update.

Today I pulled it in the shop to replace my rear tank that had a leak as I decided to fix a fuel leak before welding anything in the front. Turns out the pump was wrong so I emergency ordered a Delphi pump that will be here tomorrow. Someone had been in there as the lines were nylon and my return had a small crack which was where the leak was but the tank is old and crusty so I figured change it anyway.

I got the tank out and my boss pointed out the leaf springs are broke....good thing I have a set of F250 springs to put in so I can get rid of the stacked blocks. I knew they were old and worn out but hadn't noticed this yet.

My shock towers got delivered to the house today so I'll be getting going on the frame fix here soon.

Update.

Today I pulled it in the shop to replace my rear tank that had a leak as I decided to fix a fuel leak before welding anything in the front. Turns out the pump was wrong so I emergency ordered a Delphi pump that will be here tomorrow. Someone had been in there as the lines were nylon and my return had a small crack which was where the leak was but the tank is old and crusty so I figured change it anyway.

I got the tank out and my boss pointed out the leaf springs are broke....good thing I have a set of F250 springs to put in so I can get rid of the stacked blocks. I knew they were old and worn out but hadn't noticed this yet.

My shock towers got delivered to the house today so I'll be getting going on the frame fix here soon.

Progress is Gooood! :nabble_smiley_good:

While under my truck the other day I noticed my 'Brand New' rear tank is all stoved in.

I was jacking on the pumpkin a week back and the jack wouldn't roll because it sank into my brother's hot driveway.

Of course the cradle comes back as it rises, and the front wheels were chocked.....

I was behind the bumper because I needed all the leverage I could get, and didn't notice until it fell right off!

I -also- didn't notice the spare shaped dent in the tank! For obvious reasons....

Anyway, I'm glad the springs were pointed out to you, and you have a real set so you can do away with jankey riser blocks. :nabble_smiley_cool:

While under my truck the other day I noticed my 'Brand New' rear tank is all stoved in.

I was jacking on the pumpkin a week back and the jack wouldn't roll because it sank into my brother's hot driveway.

Of course the cradle comes back as it rises, and the front wheels were chocked.....

I was behind the bumper because I needed all the leverage I could get, and didn't notice until it fell right off!

I -also- didn't notice the spare shaped dent in the tank! For obvious reasons....

Anyway, I'm glad the springs were pointed out to you, and you have a real set so you can do away with jankey riser blocks. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I have them stacked right now (total of 5 inches) with a stud through them but I'd like to just use the 3" angled blocks for pinion angle and the springs. I figure the 3/4 ton springs should make up the 2 inches difference taking the top one out, and sit like a 350 which is about where I want it anyway.

I ordered rear shackles tonight and planning on getting hardware, so I'm going to add putting them on to my list of crap to do along with a reseal of the rear end as the pinion and axle seals are leaking. This was all stuff I had planned anyway but now I have motivation to do it.

Never ending battle it seams...

Snapchat-1283639801.thumb.jpg.d42865ad5f7a1ba5f108ef9e3710287d.jpg

I have them stacked right now (total of 5 inches) with a stud through them but I'd like to just use the 3" angled blocks for pinion angle and the springs. I figure the 3/4 ton springs should make up the 2 inches difference taking the top one out, and sit like a 350 which is about where I want it anyway.

I ordered rear shackles tonight and planning on getting hardware, so I'm going to add putting them on to my list of crap to do along with a reseal of the rear end as the pinion and axle seals are leaking. This was all stuff I had planned anyway but now I have motivation to do it.

Never ending battle it seams...

Finished up putting the new tank in today with new fuel line ends and a Delphi pump. No more fuel leak. I was tired of smelling it....now I can weld on it without worrying about blowing myself up.

20240718_194055.jpg.9bfed4d5e29f3728fa2d3dbed0f7c720.jpg

Finished up putting the new tank in today with new fuel line ends and a Delphi pump. No more fuel leak. I was tired of smelling it....now I can weld on it without worrying about blowing myself up.

TWO steps forward! :nabble_smiley_good:

TWO steps forward! :nabble_smiley_good:

Pulled the rear end apart and got the leaky seal changed, found out the wheel cylinder I put in last year seized...woohoo. Replaced a wheel stud then as luck would have it stripped the new nut on it...hahaha what a day.

Progress!!

20240722_195131.jpg.f45bc2b424baa4896082af753efb5fa8.jpg

Pulled the rear end apart and got the leaky seal changed, found out the wheel cylinder I put in last year seized...woohoo. Replaced a wheel stud then as luck would have it stripped the new nut on it...hahaha what a day.

Progress!!

Two steps forward and one backward is still progress.