Bullnose Forums

1983 Flareside, transmission question

Hello all. I was under a different name when i had my 84 F250 XL. you guys helped he a ton. Thanks

I just picked up an 83 flateside 4x4 short bed, 351 with added 4bbl intake.

I ordered a Holley 4160.

Reading the instructions, it says that they dont work well with automatic overdrive transmissions.

I am not sure if I have AOD or not. I am not in front of the truck right now.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you had a membership under a different name does that mean you've read the guidelines? If not, please go the New Members Start Here folder and read them. We ask that you know what the guidelines are as we will hold you to them.

As for the transmission, if the truck has a 351W it shouldn't have the AOD as they didn't put it behind that engine in a truck. So if it is an auto it should be the C6.

Gary, this IS the NMSH...

Another member of the FOG!

Wow, I'm beginning to feel like a black sheep! 🐑

I just made a post about the Holley 80457-S in another thread, saying that I didn't know how well the kickdown worked with OD, and Matt replied that he used a kit on his Bronco.

I will tag him here, but this section is mostly for introductions, and specific questions are going to get more attention in the main forum.

welcome.

the combination that you have should have a c6 as the aod was still considered a light duty auto and the c6 is well proven as a heavy-duty unit so, it was used for the 351w as a rule.

which 4160? this line of carbs should have the pin and linkage for the c6 kickdown rod. unless the truck has had some modification, the gear selector indicator in the dash cluster should show p r n d 2 1. an aod will not show the number 2. p r n od d l

Gary, this IS the NMSH...

Another member of the FOG!

Wow, I'm beginning to feel like a black sheep! 🐑

I just made a post about the Holley 80457-S in another thread, saying that I didn't know how well the kickdown worked with OD, and Matt replied that he used a kit on his Bronco.

I will tag him here, but this section is mostly for introductions, and specific questions are going to get more attention in the main forum.

Sorry Jim

I failed at navigating to the new members section.

Joe

Sorry Jim

I failed at navigating to the new members section.

Joe

I don't know

Did Gary move your post??? :nabble_anim_confused:

Because this definitely is the new members section, and if you clicked the highlighted text it brought you right here.

Are you in Boston, Joe?

Not so many members in New England.

Perhaps all these trucks have been eaten by the salted roads?

I don't know

Did Gary move your post??? :nabble_anim_confused:

Because this definitely is the new members section, and if you clicked the highlighted text it brought you right here.

Are you in Boston, Joe?

Not so many members in New England.

Perhaps all these trucks have been eaten by the salted roads?

Nope, I didn't move the post.

But I am interested in the location as we can put him on the map. Need a city/state or zip.

Nope, I didn't move the post.

But I am interested in the location as we can put him on the map. Need a city/state or zip.

If Joe likes, perhaps we can put him back together with his old username?

But obviously there's no need for apologies!

Joe, we're very glad you're back (and our latest member of the Flareside Owners Group!). :nabble_smiley_cool:

welcome.

the combination that you have should have a c6 as the aod was still considered a light duty auto and the c6 is well proven as a heavy-duty unit so, it was used for the 351w as a rule.

which 4160? this line of carbs should have the pin and linkage for the c6 kickdown rod. unless the truck has had some modification, the gear selector indicator in the dash cluster should show p r n d 2 1. an aod will not show the number 2. p r n od d l

I ordered a Holly Street Warrior 4160 plus I ordered the kickdown kit.

I did check and no OD on the dash cluster.

Bonus, it has the factory tach!20240703_204002.jpg.8b4c0530a44a8ef13bf8f70fe8d3dadd.jpg