Bullnose Forums

1984 F250 supercab opportunity

Okay this is probably Dallas suburban thinking but I was only quoting city mpg, not highway … my wife’s charger with the 5.7 Hemi gets about 14-15 doing school, grocery pickup but a solid 29-30mpg on highway… but the 29-30 is probably about 5% of the time so we don’t even think about it … when we are in Arkansas visiting family we are always traveling in the wide expanses of the country… and we can’t seem to get less than 25mpg … so I am probably quoting worst case figures on the 460.. speaking of the 302 … the bronco that i drove got only 10mpg and one time my co-worked asked me while going to lunch “you said it has a V8?” :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

With mpg difference that small 8 vs 10.. I would any day go for that extra torque … I know people in the suburbs probably look at those mpg figures primarily in a vehicle purchase but I think Car guys like us look at serviceability, provenness, torque, how easily can I remove that oil pan ? :nabble_smiley_blush:

And I already said "City, highway, doesn't matter...... 10 mpg"

I am speaking English clearly, no?

Edit: 10 is a 25% improvement over 8.

I don't know anybody else who would say 25% is not significant

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I already said "City, highway, doesn't matter...... 10 mpg"

I am speaking English clearly, no?

Edit: 10 is a 25% improvement over 8.

I don't know anybody else who would say 25% is not significant

I will need to do a highway run to validate what “works for me”. I trust you Jim, but I will need to verify it for myself :nabble_smiley_wink: if what you are saying is correct (I hope it isn’t because I messed up my mpg calculation methodology) I should be getting only 7mpg highway.

But I need a better city figure as I have not been disciplined.. so for the OPs benefit I wanted to provide my worst case figures on the 460 at about 7-8mpg and 302 at about 10mpg

I will need to do a highway run to validate what “works for me”. I trust you Jim, but I will need to verify it for myself :nabble_smiley_wink: if what you are saying is correct (I hope it isn’t because I messed up my mpg calculation methodology) I should be getting only 7mpg highway.

But I need a better city figure as I have not been disciplined.. so for the OPs benefit I wanted to provide my worst case figures on the 460 at about 7-8mpg and 302 at about 10mpg

I'm saying that I could never get 7 "in town" and I either have to be going 100 or I have to be locked in 4wd, charging through snow banks and leaving the truck running nearly 24/7 to keep it warm in order to get down that far.

I've got no idea how a Bronco can get worse #'s than my 250 when I beat it mercilessly from every traffic light. 🤷‍♂️

I'm saying that I could never get 7 "in town" and I either have to be going 100 or I have to be locked in 4wd, charging through snow banks and leaving the truck running nearly 24/7 to keep it warm in order to get down that far.

I've got no idea how a Bronco can get worse #'s than my 250 when I beat it mercilessly from every traffic light. 🤷‍♂️

All 3 trucks Big Red, Big Blue 2WD, 78 Bronco... about 7-8mpg for me with my "mpg methodology". I must be doing something wrong. (Big Red ran a new Holley 4160.)

All 3 trucks Big Red, Big Blue 2WD, 78 Bronco... about 7-8mpg for me with my "mpg methodology". I must be doing something wrong. (Big Red ran a new Holley 4160.)

Maybe you should find a 4180?

They are tuned about as lean as you can possibly go and still be a strong driving truck.

Maybe you should find a 4180?

They are tuned about as lean as you can possibly go and still be a strong driving truck.

I have like 3 stock/original 4180s that I pulled from various trucks with 351W/460s.. all of them are very used and in need of a rebuild. All of them were running super rich and the plugs were fouled badly.... I dont know enough about them to know why they were running rich

I have like 3 stock/original 4180s that I pulled from various trucks with 351W/460s.. all of them are very used and in need of a rebuild. All of them were running super rich and the plugs were fouled badly.... I dont know enough about them to know why they were running rich

Probably blown powervalve's.

The only other thing it could be is the floats are sunk or the needles full of garbage making them overflow.

They take a very specific rebuild kit.

Edit: 3-1346

https://www.amazon.com/HOLLEY-CARBURETOR-RENEW-REBUILD-CARBURETORS/dp/B07YZVR6DM

my $0.02.

Have a look at my project thread to see what the roof rust can entail. I paid $1500 for my F250 supercab long box 460/zf-5 swap and had to work on it a ton to get to road worthy.

I admit my AVS2 is not perfectly tuned and my canopy is missing the front-top window so I get between 7-9 MPG currently. I commute 30 miles each way to work and it's consistently in heavy traffic (yay I-5)

my $0.02.

Have a look at my project thread to see what the roof rust can entail. I paid $1500 for my F250 supercab long box 460/zf-5 swap and had to work on it a ton to get to road worthy.

I admit my AVS2 is not perfectly tuned and my canopy is missing the front-top window so I get between 7-9 MPG currently. I commute 30 miles each way to work and it's consistently in heavy traffic (yay I-5)

Thanks

The rust on the roof is just surface rust.

Actually you made me feel better knowing that other folks use old trucks as daily drivers doing 25 plus miles a day each way.

Thanks

The rust on the roof is just surface rust.

Actually you made me feel better knowing that other folks use old trucks as daily drivers doing 25 plus miles a day each way.

Paul, if you have any rust on the roof pay special attention to the caulk in the rain gutters and seam continuing to the windows front and rear.

When water starts to get in there it will travel down the A&B pillars ending up in the kick or cab corners.