Bullnose Forums

Not happy with LMC's "Premium" bumpers

Now you know why I would rather pull a decent used bumper in a junkyard rather then spend the money for a "quality" replacement. Darth's front bumper is an LKQ replacement. Biggest issue was getting the rub strip installed on it.

Rear bumper is an unknown custom with the V5 receiver integrated into it.

years ago, I took the original front bumper from the project and had it "un plated" then powder coated in gloss black. I spent a little more than a new replacement, but nothing fits like the originals!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your rear end ratio ?

My 84 F350 has a 3.07 rear end ratio / Dana 70HD and with a 460 it is rated for 12,000 GCWR which is roughly 7000lb tow capacity, and I always thought that was a bit low because it came with a trailer/tow camper equipment package option. Bumper is out the equation on my truck, not sure if this is original to the truck or added later.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n156565/3A745D6B-002E-4825-8D79-741D4FD0A5F0.jpeg

I have the dually with what I believe is 3.54s should be rated at 9500lb on the bumper 12k fifth wheel if I am remember correctly.

I'll double check the codes but it's either Dana 3.54 or 4.10.

These are GCVWR, and are for a receiver and a 5th wheel type attachment.

What's the tare weight on a dually crew cab full of fuel with you in it?

There's no bumper rated for more than 3k trailer.

Here is the factory manual if you don't trust me.

https://xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/1986-Ford-RV-Trailer-Towing-Guide.pdf

Vendor reviews are a poll.

You can vote and leave feedback in the marketplace section.

https://xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/1986-Ford-RV-Trailer-Towing-Guide.pdf

Couldn't help but notice the Broncos were mighty good back then and in a different class vs today's....

The 2024 bronco per Ford... too bad http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

"towing capacity reaches up to 4,500 pounds in its most capable forms, with a respected 3,500-pound towing capacity in other models."

towing.png.d13ac24e4aacd306dfe9a4136ffa9416.png

I agree 100% with all of this except there being no bumper rated to over 3K trailer. Bumper hitches rated for more than that aren't real common, but the factory bumper on my '85 F-250 was stamped that it was rated for 5K.

But what people call a "bumper-pull" trailer often isn't really. They just mean it's not a 5th wheel. So look at what the bumper hitch is really rated for and get a receiver if you're exceeding it.

Plus you might need a weight distributing hitch to safely and legally tow near the "bumper pull" rating, and a weight distruibutng hitch will require a receiver.

I agree 100% with all of this except there being no bumper rated to over 3K trailer. Bumper hitches rated for more than that aren't real common, but the factory bumper on my '85 F-250 was stamped that it was rated for 5K.

But what people call a "bumper-pull" trailer often isn't really. They just mean it's not a 5th wheel. So look at what the bumper hitch is really rated for and get a receiver if you're exceeding it.

Plus you might need a weight distributing hitch to safely and legally tow near the "bumper pull" rating, and a weight distruibutng hitch will require a receiver.

Okay, I wasn't aware of a factory bumper that exceeded 3,000 lbs, but I stand corrected.

Maybe my '87 Custom argent step bumper isn't where your 85 is?

I should look closer at these things.

But I definitely give no quarter to calling a receiver a 'bumper'

My C-IV has a whole lot more meat attached directly to, and spread out along the frame rails.

I'd never expect a cheesy pair of bumper brackets to come close.

Okay, I wasn't aware of a factory bumper that exceeded 3,000 lbs, but I stand corrected.

Maybe my '87 Custom argent step bumper isn't where your 85 is?

I should look closer at these things.

But I definitely give no quarter to calling a receiver a 'bumper'

My C-IV has a whole lot more meat attached directly to, and spread out along the frame rails.

I'd never expect a cheesy pair of bumper brackets to come close.

I was very surprised to see the 5K rating on that bumper, and because of that I never put a receiver on that truck.

But after getting my next truck which came to me with a receiver I realized how much nicer a receiver is. Not only the ability to use a weight distributing hitch, but also the possibility of adjusting the hitch height (also important for safe towing). I doubt I'll ever use a bumper for a hitch mount again.

Ok, Jim, you asked for it, so here it is:

Darth - empty weight with aluminum camper shell 6400 lbs.

My weight - 255 lbs as weighed on Drs. scale

both tanks filled roughly 232 lbs.

So gross weight is - 6887

Figure I go to Pick and Pull in Virginia Beach, with 2 friends and tools including a dual wheel wheelbarrow, probably pushing 7500-8000 depending on what else goes in.

Ok, Jim, you asked for it, so here it is:

Darth - empty weight with aluminum camper shell 6400 lbs.

My weight - 255 lbs as weighed on Drs. scale

both tanks filled roughly 232 lbs.

So gross weight is - 6887

Figure I go to Pick and Pull in Virginia Beach, with 2 friends and tools including a dual wheel wheelbarrow, probably pushing 7500-8000 depending on what else goes in.

Thank you for that, Bill. :nabble_anim_handshake:

My point is that Danny's GCWR drops substantially once you factor a laden dually crew cab.

While it is an impressive tow pig, and the extra length helps keep the tail from wagging the dog, we have to be mindful that often things are not as rosy as they seem.

Danny is doing it right, but I see plenty of 40 year old pickups I wouldn't trust not to lose a brake line in a panic stop.

Remember I see LOTS of accidents,

It doesn't have to be your fault to kill you.

What is your rear end ratio ?

My 84 F350 has a 3.07 rear end ratio / Dana 70HD and with a 460 it is rated for 12,000 GCWR which is roughly 7000lb tow capacity, and I always thought that was a bit low because it came with a trailer/tow camper equipment package option. Bumper is out the equation on my truck, not sure if this is original to the truck or added later.

Your drop receiver has no bracing at all, just a piece of angle not even welded all around.

(there may be a single diagonal I can't see, directly behind the tube)

Be VERY careful if you consider going anywhere close to what you think it can handle.

Look closely at the class of hitch installed and how well it and the fasteners attaching it to the frame are holding up.

Your drop receiver has no bracing at all, just a piece of angle not even welded all around.

(there may be a single diagonal I can't see, directly behind the tube)

Be VERY careful if you consider going anywhere close to what you think it can handle.

Look closely at the class of hitch installed and how well it and the fasteners attaching it to the frame are holding up.

Duly noted… I won’t trust it to pull anything of substance.

Says 5000lb max gross weight when used as a weight carry hitch and 10000lb with a load distributing hitch 02FDAB48-FB17-4E2A-8E76-8D678566E08C.jpeg.e0d780cd7f2ce7961612eeec0671b321.jpeg