Bullnose Forums

Vapor lock question

My truck has metal lines on the frame rail and about a foot of rubber behind the Power steering pump to the mechanical pump.

Metal from there to the carb..

I'm not sure what 351 HO's do about that...

I ran new stainless steel 3/8 lines on my bronco and sheathed the stainless line in critical areas (engine bay, frame cross over points) with 3/8 rubber fuel hose to reduce metal-metal rubbing. I just used some engine oil lube assistance so the rubber slid over the stainless. I don't know if that has provided it any heat insulation benefit as well.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran new stainless steel 3/8 lines on my bronco and sheathed the stainless line in critical areas (engine bay, frame cross over points) with 3/8 rubber fuel hose to reduce metal-metal rubbing. I just used some engine oil lube assistance so the rubber slid over the stainless. I don't know if that has provided it any heat insulation benefit as well.

it certainly does!

Adds thermal mass & therefore slows the ∆ but black has much higher emissivity, so adsorbs heat more readily than a reflective surface.

There's a reason for chromed headers and starters.

There's also a reason that Gary's braid is silver.

Adds thermal mass & therefore slows the ∆ but black has much higher emissivity, so adsorbs heat more readily than a reflective surface.

Yes that makes sense. So far vapor lock free while running. I do need some cranks to start when really fuming hot though :nabble_smiley_happy:

I like that. I'm regretting the headers so much now.

Were the headers coated in anything like ceramic coating to help hold off heat?

I sent mine out to Jet-Hot and got their 2000 Off-Road coating they told me it doesn't reduce temperatures under the hood like their silver standard 1200 ceramic coating but I don't buy that, it's a thick coating it should provide insulation the way the guy explained it to me it's the silver color that reflects heat a way, don't see how but that's what I was told lol.

I personally don't have to worry about vapor lock on my setup since I am going to be going from 6psi to 60 psi fuel pressure when I drop my new engine in. I did however still route my custom bent 3/8" stainless fuel line like the factory that has it exiting under the power steering pump. Pretty good ways away from the header also which should hopefully keep the hot headers from getting sprayed down with fuel in case of a fuel hose failure down the line.

That works too with some insulation from temperature as well. I'm going to be snapping the 3/8 stainless hardline I bought from Inline-Tube for my truck into the OE clips on the frame. I'm hoping the clips holding the factory 5/16" line will accept the 3/8" line without breaking.

One thing I thought about was doing like late model cars and covering the fuel line on the frame rail in the silver foil backed fiberglass insulation to insulate it from heat as much as possible. But on the flip side pressuring the fuel up to 60 psi generates heat and that could hold heat in more, so I am on the fence on that still.

Thats one thing that never made logical sense to me. Chrome is thin and provides no form of insulation, but yet places like Jet-Hot claim their silver ceramic coating reduces under hood temperatures while their non 1200 series silver ceramic coating does not provide any form of reducing under hood temperatures. I just don't see how my 2000 off-road series ceramic coating that is rough like sandpaper won't insulate my headers and keep exhaust heat in better than their thin 1200 series silver ceramic coating.

But that is what they say, I could how ever see bright colors reflecting radiant heat away however like a white color reflecting sun rays away to the point that it doesn't absorb enough UV rays to generate enough heat. I just don't see how that works in the case of headers where it's not the outside absorbing radiant heat but the inside that is being exposed to the heat and the outside is supposed to keep the heat in.

I avoided the 1200 series silver coating in favor of the 2000 series off-road coating for more durability and temp rating as well as getting the titanium color for a more natural bare steel look. Didn't like the silver as it just looks like cheap autozone chrome, and I know any little scratch turns a dull dark gray that is very noticeable.

I like that. I'm regretting the headers so much now.

Were the headers coated in anything like ceramic coating to help hold off heat?

I sent mine out to Jet-Hot and got their 2000 Off-Road coating they told me it doesn't reduce temperatures under the hood like their silver standard 1200 ceramic coating but I don't buy that, it's a thick coating it should provide insulation the way the guy explained it to me it's the silver color that reflects heat a way, don't see how but that's what I was told lol.

I personally don't have to worry about vapor lock on my setup since I am going to be going from 6psi to 60 psi fuel pressure when I drop my new engine in. I did however still route my custom bent 3/8" stainless fuel line like the factory that has it exiting under the power steering pump. Pretty good ways away from the header also which should hopefully keep the hot headers from getting sprayed down with fuel in case of a fuel hose failure down the line.

That works too with some insulation from temperature as well. I'm going to be snapping the 3/8 stainless hardline I bought from Inline-Tube for my truck into the OE clips on the frame. I'm hoping the clips holding the factory 5/16" line will accept the 3/8" line without breaking.

One thing I thought about was doing like late model cars and covering the fuel line on the frame rail in the silver foil backed fiberglass insulation to insulate it from heat as much as possible. But on the flip side pressuring the fuel up to 60 psi generates heat and that could hold heat in more, so I am on the fence on that still.

Thats one thing that never made logical sense to me. Chrome is thin and provides no form of insulation, but yet places like Jet-Hot claim their silver ceramic coating reduces under hood temperatures while their non 1200 series silver ceramic coating does not provide any form of reducing under hood temperatures. I just don't see how my 2000 off-road series ceramic coating that is rough like sandpaper won't insulate my headers and keep exhaust heat in better than their thin 1200 series silver ceramic coating.

But that is what they say, I could how ever see bright colors reflecting radiant heat away however like a white color reflecting sun rays away to the point that it doesn't absorb enough UV rays to generate enough heat. I just don't see how that works in the case of headers where it's not the outside absorbing radiant heat but the inside that is being exposed to the heat and the outside is supposed to keep the heat in.

I avoided the 1200 series silver coating in favor of the 2000 series off-road coating for more durability and temp rating as well as getting the titanium color for a more natural bare steel look. Didn't like the silver as it just looks like cheap autozone chrome, and I know any little scratch turns a dull dark gray that is very noticeable.

Then you don't understand infrared and the different means of heat transfer...

Convection: heat rises in response to gravity.

Conduction: metals like silver, copper and aluminum readily conduct heat.

Others like titanium and stainless don't... Then we get to stuff like glass, some ceramics and aerogels, that REALLY don't conduct heat

Radiation: infrared energy is heat.

It can be focused by a lens or reflected by a mirror.

This is why we have chromed starters, headers and intakes.

They keep the heat out, or in.

A reflective surface (whether facing -or- away from) a heat source will reflect heat.

In fact Gold is a better reflector than chrome for IR, and it never tarnishes, so it maintains its emissivity almost forever.

Gary or Bill can tell you the spark plug heat shields on an EFI 460 have a gold coating on the side facing away from the exhaust (but it doesn't matter what side)

Everybody understands that you can mirror a parabolic dish and use it to boil water.

There are curved buildings that inadvertently create the same issue. (London and Vegas)

Just look at the various molten salt heliospheres out in the desert....

IR is reflected by shiny surfaces. And they don't need to be facing the heat to work.

If you have a non-contact thermometer you need to be aware of the surface.

This is why we call it "black body" temperature. Because that's the only way to make an accurate comparison.

We have black fins on air cooled engines because they are more effective at transferring heat.

Radiators are painted or anodized black for the same reason.

Then we have newer stuff like Vanta Black and carbon nanotubes which are next level at adsorption.

Edit to add:

You want a thin, light shell to lessen the ability to HOLD and transfer heat by conduction. (in another thread I mentioned using a tin can as a starter heat shield)

Imagine a piece of black paper and a chunk of asphalt that have been sitting out in the sun all day.

Which would you rather pick up and hold?

Right, that's because the paper has far less thermal mass.

Which is why I said that black rubber fuel line is precisely not what you want to shield a fuel line.

While it may slow thermal transfer momentarily, it is a far better adsorber OF radiant heat, and once it does get hot, it STAYS hot.

Others like titanium and stainless don't... Then we get to stuff like glass, some ceramics and aerogels, that REALLY don't conduct heat

A reflective surface (whether facing -or- away from) a heat source will reflect heat.

In fact Gold is a better reflector than chrome for IR, and it never tarnishes, so it maintains its emissivity almost forever.

Gary or Bill can tell you the spark plug heat shields on an EFI 460 have a gold coating on the side facing away from the exhaust (but it doesn't matter what side)

Everybody understands that you can mirror a parabolic dish and use it to boil water.

There are curved buildings that inadvertently create the same issue. (London and Vegas)

IR is reflected by shiny surfaces. And they don't need to be facing the heat to work.

This is why we call it "black body" temperature. Because that's the only way to make an accurate comparison.

We have black fins on air cooled engines because they are more effective at transferring heat.

Then we have newer stuff like Vanta Black and carbon nanotubes which are next level at adsorption.

Edit to add:

You want a thin, light shell to lessen the ability to HOLD and transfer heat by conduction. (in another thread I mentioned using a tin can as a starter heat shield)

Imagine a piece of black paper and a chunk of asphalt that have been sitting out in the sun all day.

Which is why I said that black rubber fuel line is precisely not what you want to shield a fuel line.

While it may slow thermal transfer momentarily, it is a far better adsorber OF radiant heat, and once it does get hot, it STAYS hot.

Correct, in the case of exhaust we are talking about radiant heat. Heat that is radiating out from the pipes. You can block this radiant heat with something as simple as a plain metal heat shield and creating an air gap. My problem is how can a company say a thin silver color, not talking about chrome just silver colored coating block radiant heat from leaving exhaust components but a thicker sandpaper texture finish in another color will not block this radiant heat. We aren't talking about a chrome surface, we are talking about a silver ceramic color and like an engine doesn't know the difference between what brand of oil you put in it, your headers won't care what color the ceramic coating is on the outside as it can't see what color it is as the heat is directly acting upon the steel or stainless-steel tubing of the headers themselves.

In the case of Jet-Hot they state their thin 1200 series silver coating will block majority of heat escape from the headers but then in the same breath state the thicker 2000 series off-road coating with its sandpaper texture provides no insulation properties to the header and won't block any bit of radiant heat. The thicker, rougher coating is going to act as an insulating blanket compared to a thinner coating, it's like wearing two layers vs one layer and the color won't matter. If you have 1000-degree gas flowing through a steel pipe coating it in white, black, red, or green won't change that the surface will still reach the same temperature as you have the same core temperature within the pipe. Same with headers, if you have 1000-degree exhaust gas it won't matter if your headers are silver, white, or titanium gray they are still exposed to the same temperature gas and will rise to the same top temperature.

As far as black is better at transferring heat, there isn't a whole lot of study done in the automotive field but what you will see is that with the shift from copper to aluminum radiators the black painted radiators disappeared. In reality copper radiators were only painted black not because the black transfers heat better but because the radiator looked better longer. If you look up home radiators for heating your home there are numerous studies done that says black is a good color for dissipating heat but even those studies say between non-black colors and the most efficient black color, you are only looking at black being 1% better than the non-black colors. Hardly anything to split hairs about and why you see home radiators for those that still use them painted the same color as the room they are installed in, color while it makes a difference it doesn't make that much of a difference. Now if you are standing out in the sun talking about UV rays then yes, the black color will absorb more of the rays from the sun building up more heat and a lighter color like white which reflects most of the rays from the sun it doesn't absorb as many wave lengths, so it builds up minimal heat.

That doesn't apply in the case of a cooling system or an exhaust system because these components are not sitting out in the sun meaning their temperature isn't dependent on how much wavelength of UV rays the components absorb, the temperature is a set temperature which means the color doesn't change a thing. Painting your radiator black or white doesn't change that it will still hit 195 - 220 degrees with a 180 - 195 degree thermostat and it is this temperature indifference with the ambient air temp of sub 105 degree air blowing across these cores that causes the heat to be leached out of the coolant by the heat being leached out of the radiator itself. Doesn't matter what color it is, what matters is the temperature difference this is why in an AC system we raise the high side pressure to 250 - 300 psi to push condenser temperatures to well above ambient air temperature to promote a efficient heat transfer to cool the refrigerant inside. Same with headers, your exhaust is a set temperature of say 1000 degrees, doesn't matter if you paint your steel tubes black or white the finish will reach the same temperature and it will dissipate that heat to the cooler air around it. This is where I don't understand with Jet-Hot how they can say their thinner 1200 series ceramic coating can insulate majority of heat emission from headers but yet their thicker 2000 series off-road ceramic coating doesn't insulate any of the heat emission from headers. This isn't a color thing as we aren't dealing with heat absorption due to how much of the light spectrum a given color is absorbing and generating heat. Even Jet-Hot says their 1200 series coating in black doesn't insulate but their silver color does, a color that is gray till the top shiny coat is applied to make it look silver.

Can't tell me that thin coating in silver is going to block 90% of radiant heat from headers but the same thin coating in black is going to block 0% of radiant heat from headers just like their thicker 2000 series off-road coating is going to block 0% of radiant heat from headers. With headers we are coating to insulate the steel tubes to reduce the amount of heat transfer from inside the tubes to the outside of the tubes. Thickness of the insulation is what determines how well heat is kept within not if its silver or black in color. You can paint your radiator, or your air-cooled cylinder block any color you want under the sun, and you will not see one degree change in operation. In fact, if you have a motorcycle that is air cooled, I will probably suggest getting rid of the black painted cylinder head and go with a light color to reduce the amount of heat the cylinder head will be absorbing from UV rays from the sun. Yes, one could argue the black radiates heat outwards but even if you are on a motorcycle going down the highway at 70 mph with a black t-shirt on the absorption of the UV rays from the sun will still make your t-shirt hot even with the air blowing on it. Same principle with the air-cooled engines and their cooling fins, that black even with air blowing across it won't have the ability to cool if the sun is beating down on the black paint forcing your air-cooled engine to not just shed heat from your engine but also heat it absorbed from the sun.

Edit to add:

Correct, in the case of exhaust we are talking about radiant heat. Heat that is radiating out from the pipes. You can block this radiant heat with something as simple as a plain metal heat shield and creating an air gap. My problem is how can a company say a thin silver color, not talking about chrome just silver colored coating block radiant heat from leaving exhaust components but a thicker sandpaper texture finish in another color will not block this radiant heat. We aren't talking about a chrome surface, we are talking about a silver ceramic color and like an engine doesn't know the difference between what brand of oil you put in it, your headers won't care what color the ceramic coating is on the outside as it can't see what color it is as the heat is directly acting upon the steel or stainless-steel tubing of the headers themselves.

In the case of Jet-Hot they state their thin 1200 series silver coating will block majority of heat escape from the headers but then in the same breath state the thicker 2000 series off-road coating with its sandpaper texture provides no insulation properties to the header and won't block any bit of radiant heat. The thicker, rougher coating is going to act as an insulating blanket compared to a thinner coating, it's like wearing two layers vs one layer and the color won't matter. If you have 1000-degree gas flowing through a steel pipe coating it in white, black, red, or green won't change that the surface will still reach the same temperature as you have the same core temperature within the pipe. Same with headers, if you have 1000-degree exhaust gas it won't matter if your headers are silver, white, or titanium gray they are still exposed to the same temperature gas and will rise to the same top temperature.

As far as black is better at transferring heat, there isn't a whole lot of study done in the automotive field but what you will see is that with the shift from copper to aluminum radiators the black painted radiators disappeared. In reality copper radiators were only painted black not because the black transfers heat better but because the radiator looked better longer. If you look up home radiators for heating your home there are numerous studies done that says black is a good color for dissipating heat but even those studies say between non-black colors and the most efficient black color, you are only looking at black being 1% better than the non-black colors. Hardly anything to split hairs about and why you see home radiators for those that still use them painted the same color as the room they are installed in, color while it makes a difference it doesn't make that much of a difference. Now if you are standing out in the sun talking about UV rays then yes, the black color will absorb more of the rays from the sun building up more heat and a lighter color like white which reflects most of the rays from the sun it doesn't absorb as many wave lengths, so it builds up minimal heat.

That doesn't apply in the case of a cooling system or an exhaust system because these components are not sitting out in the sun meaning their temperature isn't dependent on how much wavelength of UV rays the components absorb, the temperature is a set temperature which means the color doesn't change a thing. Painting your radiator black or white doesn't change that it will still hit 195 - 220 degrees with a 180 - 195 degree thermostat and it is this temperature indifference with the ambient air temp of sub 105 degree air blowing across these cores that causes the heat to be leached out of the coolant by the heat being leached out of the radiator itself. Doesn't matter what color it is, what matters is the temperature difference this is why in an AC system we raise the high side pressure to 250 - 300 psi to push condenser temperatures to well above ambient air temperature to promote a efficient heat transfer to cool the refrigerant inside. Same with headers, your exhaust is a set temperature of say 1000 degrees, doesn't matter if you paint your steel tubes black or white the finish will reach the same temperature and it will dissipate that heat to the cooler air around it. This is where I don't understand with Jet-Hot how they can say their thinner 1200 series ceramic coating can insulate majority of heat emission from headers but yet their thicker 2000 series off-road ceramic coating doesn't insulate any of the heat emission from headers. This isn't a color thing as we aren't dealing with heat absorption due to how much of the light spectrum a given color is absorbing and generating heat. Even Jet-Hot says their 1200 series coating in black doesn't insulate but their silver color does, a color that is gray till the top shiny coat is applied to make it look silver.

Can't tell me that thin coating in silver is going to block 90% of radiant heat from headers but the same thin coating in black is going to block 0% of radiant heat from headers just like their thicker 2000 series off-road coating is going to block 0% of radiant heat from headers. With headers we are coating to insulate the steel tubes to reduce the amount of heat transfer from inside the tubes to the outside of the tubes. Thickness of the insulation is what determines how well heat is kept within not if its silver or black in color. You can paint your radiator, or your air-cooled cylinder block any color you want under the sun, and you will not see one degree change in operation. In fact, if you have a motorcycle that is air cooled, I will probably suggest getting rid of the black painted cylinder head and go with a light color to reduce the amount of heat the cylinder head will be absorbing from UV rays from the sun. Yes, one could argue the black radiates heat outwards but even if you are on a motorcycle going down the highway at 70 mph with a black t-shirt on the absorption of the UV rays from the sun will still make your t-shirt hot even with the air blowing on it. Same principle with the air-cooled engines and their cooling fins, that black even with air blowing across it won't have the ability to cool if the sun is beating down on the black paint forcing your air-cooled engine to not just shed heat from your engine but also heat it absorbed from the sun.

The silver color reflects the radiant heat back into the headers -even though it's on the outside -

Thickness is a liability in radiant heat transfer.

Aluminum is technically better at transferring heat.

An aluminum radiator of equal size will transfer as much heat as a black copper/brass radiator.

Copper, brass and lead are FAR more corrosion resistant than aluminum.

I live it the salt belt. You haven't seen anything until you've seen a radiator or condenser with NO fins, only tubes and headers...

There are countless dissertations written in both optics and thermodynamics that explain the emissivity of various colours.

Science doesn't stop existing, just because it's under the hood of a car....

Ultraviolet is at the completely opposite end of the visible spectrum from infrared and is incapable of creating/projecting heat.

It is at a higher frequency (that can be ionizing, but it isn't heat)

Please try to understand. I'm not being contentious, I'm stating very well documented facts.

There are fundamental laws that govern our universe, and the laws of thermodynamics apply everywhere to everything.

It's a FACT that there is no such thing as cooling/cold, just an absence of heat above absolute zero.

Carnot, Kelvin, Celsius, Boyle and Fahrenheit were not idiots. They were scientists that made careful observations, conducted experiments, and put forth theories that were later proven true in all cases and became law.

You can choose to believe whatever you like, that doesn't change the ACTUAL way everything in our observable universe functions...

This is not a debate.

I'm not even going to try and change your mind, because obviously I can't.

The silver color reflects the radiant heat back into the headers -even though it's on the outside -

Thickness is a liability in radiant heat transfer.

Aluminum is technically better at transferring heat.

An aluminum radiator of equal size will transfer as much heat as a black copper/brass radiator.

Copper, brass and lead are FAR more corrosion resistant than aluminum.

I live it the salt belt. You haven't seen anything until you've seen a radiator or condenser with NO fins, only tubes and headers...

There are countless dissertations written in both optics and thermodynamics that explain the emissivity of various colours.

Science doesn't stop existing, just because it's under the hood of a car....

Ultraviolet is at the completely opposite end of the visible spectrum from infrared and is incapable of creating/projecting heat.

It is at a higher frequency (that can be ionizing, but it isn't heat)

Please try to understand. I'm not being contentious, I'm stating very well documented facts.

There are fundamental laws that govern our universe, and the laws of thermodynamics apply everywhere to everything.

It's a FACT that there is no such thing as cooling/cold, just an absence of heat above absolute zero.

Carnot, Kelvin, Celsius, Boyle and Fahrenheit were not idiots. They were scientists that made careful observations, conducted experiments, and put forth theories that were later proven true in all cases and became law.

You can choose to believe whatever you like, that doesn't change the ACTUAL way everything in our observable universe functions...

This is not a debate.

I'm not even going to try and change your mind, because obviously I can't.

this gave me a bit of a chuckle. "Back in the day", when I was doing air conditioning service, it was not uncommon for someone to ask me to put some more cold in the ac. I would sometimes hold back a laugh, sometimes not. but the hardest thing at first was to not try to educate. but provide what they really wanted at a fair price. sometimes I could explain that cold does not really exist other than being a reference to the absence of heat. but I must say that I have stared into the abyss of the confused many times and just stopped and said "yes maam".

this gave me a bit of a chuckle. "Back in the day", when I was doing air conditioning service, it was not uncommon for someone to ask me to put some more cold in the ac. I would sometimes hold back a laugh, sometimes not. but the hardest thing at first was to not try to educate. but provide what they really wanted at a fair price. sometimes I could explain that cold does not really exist other than being a reference to the absence of heat. but I must say that I have stared into the abyss of the confused many times and just stopped and said "yes maam".

When you try to explain that the refrigerant expanding in the evaporator is pulling heat from the air IN ORDER to have the ENERGY

to expand is about where most of them go blank....

Or trying to explain how the compressor works in conjunction with the condenser to turn it back into a liquid.