Bullnose Forums

I understand that the choke wire should only see approx. 7V with engine running. I connected my power prob to the stator wire (Blk/Wht, S terminal) at the alternator, and started the engine. It was reading 15.5V on the read out. I checked the other end of the wire that hooks up to the carb for the choke and have no output (0V). The wire harness has never been opened up and appears factory.

So if I understand correctly the wire I am reading 15.5V should only be reading approx. 7V. First problem.

Secondly I should be reading the same voltage at the wire that hooks up to the choke (Which reads 0V).

There are two connectors in that wire C231 & C233 I believe

Maybe one of those is completely corroded?

Otherwise I can't understand how you get voltage at one end of the wire and not the other.

15.5V seems high for any alternator output, but especially for the choke heater.

I suspect that it would come off really fast, if that kind of voltage actually made it to the bimetallic spring.

Maybe you want to start a new topic in the main forum?

Not many members even bother to look at the NMSH...

As you see it's not any kind of complex circuit, but perhaps someone else has encountered what's happening here?

There are two connectors in that wire C231 & C233 I believe

Maybe one of those is completely corroded?

Otherwise I can't understand how you get voltage at one end of the wire and not the other.

15.5V seems high for any alternator output, but especially for the choke heater.

I suspect that it would come off really fast, if that kind of voltage actually made it to the bimetallic spring.

Maybe you want to start a new topic in the main forum?

Not many members even bother to look at the NMSH...

As you see it's not any kind of complex circuit, but perhaps someone else has encountered what's happening here?

ArdWrknTrk,

I just got it working. I cut into the factory wire loom going to the alternator. I traced the choke wire and appeared intact. I went to disconnect it and the wire pulled apart. The wire was broken inside the insulation. I repaired the wire and now the choke works correctly and has 6.7-7.1 volts. Thank you for your help.

ArdWrknTrk,

I just got it working. I cut into the factory wire loom going to the alternator. I traced the choke wire and appeared intact. I went to disconnect it and the wire pulled apart. The wire was broken inside the insulation. I repaired the wire and now the choke works correctly and has 6.7-7.1 volts. Thank you for your help.

Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

ArdWrknTrk,

I'm glad to hear you've got it working! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Strange indeed that the choke wire failed internally. :nabble_anim_crazy: