Bullnose Forums

Engine compatibility

Hi guys,

My 80’ F100 seems to have a locked engine. I’ve tried removing the spark plugs and soaking the pistons in kroil with the hope to free them, no luck.( A little context, I was given the truck from my grandfather but just now am getting around to getting it back on the road, it’s been 2 years since it’s ran) As far as a new (used) engine, does anyone know what model year range I would be looking for to be compatible?

Thanks, Lou

Need a little more context here Lou.

How long a wrench did you try turning the engine with?

Do you live in a state like California, where you have to be concerned that everything is 'as built' and all the emissions are functional?

What are your goals for your grandfather's truck?

Daily driver? Immaculate restoration???

1980's have very basic control systems and a somewhat unique wiring harness/gauge cluster.

F 100's have Armstrong steering and non-assisted brakes, correct?

Does it have 3-on-the-tree as well?

Need a little more context here Lou.

How long a wrench did you try turning the engine with?

Do you live in a state like California, where you have to be concerned that everything is 'as built' and all the emissions are functional?

What are your goals for your grandfather's truck?

Daily driver? Immaculate restoration???

1980's have very basic control systems and a somewhat unique wiring harness/gauge cluster.

F 100's have Armstrong steering and non-assisted brakes, correct?

Does it have 3-on-the-tree as well?

I live outside of Philadelphia, PA. I tried turning it with a breaker bar and socket. I already have it registered and insured as antique so don’t have to worry about emissions or inspections. It is not 3 on the tree. Not looking to enter car shows or anything like that, restoring and keeping it mostly original is my goal.

Thanks for the response! - Lou

I live outside of Philadelphia, PA. I tried turning it with a breaker bar and socket. I already have it registered and insured as antique so don’t have to worry about emissions or inspections. It is not 3 on the tree. Not looking to enter car shows or anything like that, restoring and keeping it mostly original is my goal.

Thanks for the response! - Lou

I was just saying in another thread that I have a bunch of family south and west of Philly. 🤯

What engine is in it now? The venerable 300 or a 302???

We love family hand downs or inherited vehicles here on the forum, and can definitely get you going.

Most of these engines are very similar at their heart, it shouldn't be too difficult.

I was just saying in another thread that I have a bunch of family south and west of Philly. 🤯

What engine is in it now? The venerable 300 or a 302???

We love family hand downs or inherited vehicles here on the forum, and can definitely get you going.

Most of these engines are very similar at their heart, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Have you tried rocking the crankshaft counterclockwise just a bit and that turning clockwise? You can't put much pressure on CCW or you'll loosen the crank bolt, but you might get it to shift just enough that you can get it to move a bit CW. Just "gently" try to work it back and forth.

And yes, we love family trucks. They are keepers.

As for "outside of Philly", I used to live near Kennett Square.

Have you tried rocking the crankshaft counterclockwise just a bit and that turning clockwise? You can't put much pressure on CCW or you'll loosen the crank bolt, but you might get it to shift just enough that you can get it to move a bit CW. Just "gently" try to work it back and forth.

And yes, we love family trucks. They are keepers.

As for "outside of Philly", I used to live near Kennett Square.

I’m in Delaware county, probably not far from your family. And Gary, I’m about 20 minutes from Kennet!

It is the 300, I’ll keep spraying the cylinders for a few days and see if I can rock it to get it moving. Motor is original so I would like to repair it rather than replace.

Thanks guys! I’ll report back if I have any luck freeing her up

I’m in Delaware county, probably not far from your family. And Gary, I’m about 20 minutes from Kennet!

It is the 300, I’ll keep spraying the cylinders for a few days and see if I can rock it to get it moving. Motor is original so I would like to repair it rather than replace.

Thanks guys! I’ll report back if I have any luck freeing her up

My sister lived in Swarthmore until she moved to 'Duck Ditch' SC.

I still have nieces and nephews to the south and west of Philly.

You don't say exactly where you're from, but

I have nieces/nephews in Chester, Ridley, Morton, Ardmore and Chestnut Hill.

My sister lived in Swarthmore until she moved to 'Duck Ditch' SC.

I still have nieces and nephews to the south and west of Philly.

You don't say exactly where you're from, but

I have nieces/nephews in Chester, Ridley, Morton, Ardmore and Chestnut Hill.

I’m in Aston, a few minutes from all of those places, small world! Duck Ditch sounds like a cool place lol

I’m in Aston, a few minutes from all of those places, small world! Duck Ditch sounds like a cool place lol

That's a euphemism for Goose Creek, where Gary's daughter Holly works, at the regional hospital

Would you like to be on our map? You can see it at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.