Bullnose Forums

'Rufus Maximus' - Build Thread

Danny G

Danny ,if you are painting the metal frame of the dashboard (as I do) pay close attention to the fact that it IS the ground connector for the gauges and more. it becomes very important to use "paint cutting" lock washers on all bolts and screws . where it mounts to the cab and where any wires are mounted. these are not heavy load carrying circuits and a little resistance goes a long way in driving you crazy later.

But be mindful of G701 (right of radio)

This takes grounds from all over the truck (like the gas tanks)

You can see the grounds and which circuits use them in the front of the EVTM. 💡

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The slotted cowl found on bullnose trucks almost guarantees that there's a lot of organic debris/mud collected there.

(I have good photos of these, and the garbage inside, with the fenders off my truck a few years back)

Well I can see what you mean.

1000004225.jpg.c4757f39ea0724591b264b893e3319fe.jpg

1000004228.jpg.1b416518e0edfa9066a05be6ce728aff.jpg

1000004230.jpg.c1805a5bc556e21f3e9d491d6a0615da.jpg

1000004233.jpg.5680623a9bada5ff999135991aac0ed8.jpg

The slotted cowl found on bullnose trucks almost guarantees that there's a lot of organic debris/mud collected there.

(I have good photos of these, and the garbage inside, with the fenders off my truck a few years back)

Well I can see what you mean.

That's just the blower resistor, wait til you get to the mud at the bottom of the cowl cavity by your feet. 😂

Good thing you got to it before those leaves caught fire! 🔥

Danny ,if you are painting the metal frame of the dashboard (as I do) pay close attention to the fact that it IS the ground connector for the gauges and more. it becomes very important to use "paint cutting" lock washers on all bolts and screws . where it mounts to the cab and where any wires are mounted. these are not heavy load carrying circuits and a little resistance goes a long way in driving you crazy later.

Yes sir. I was thinking about this last night. I am either going to use a bonding brush and remove the paint at the ground and bolt locations or I am going to run a ground distribution block on the firewall and run the grounds to that. Not sure which way I want to go with that just yet. But if I keep the normal ground locations I'll also remove the paint under the mounting bolt heads to keep that going into frame.

That's just the blower resistor, wait til you get to the mud at the bottom of the cowl cavity by your feet. 😂

Good thing you got to it before those leaves caught fire! 🔥

1000004227.jpg.bc1610b54ef885b2cfcc09f87e8ce6f8.jpg

Well I am definitely going to need a new blower resistor and connector. The blade terminal rotted away into the connector. The connector is also in rough shape.

I think what I will do is get a new resistor and solder wires to the blade terminals. The. I will pot the back of it sealing it up. After that I can use a 3rd part modern waterproof connector to the wire harness.

You can see where that evap core leaked into the debris. But something got hot in here and the housing has been melted on the firewall side.

1000004229.jpg.b2836ad6ae98fa6959d2ff2dc4653ed2.jpg

1000004238.jpg.7a2669cebf28dcd52ec4ff168877560e.jpg

I also need to sort out this 3 tee vacuum port that was connected to the vac ball.

Yes sir. I was thinking about this last night. I am either going to use a bonding brush and remove the paint at the ground and bolt locations or I am going to run a ground distribution block on the firewall and run the grounds to that. Not sure which way I want to go with that just yet. But if I keep the normal ground locations I'll also remove the paint under the mounting bolt heads to keep that going into frame.

Also no wonder there is so much dirt in the ducts on these trucks between this and the duct work seams being pretty much open it's guaranteed. When air goes through them it creates a venturi effect at this seems pulling any dust and dirt floating around the truck and in the carpet up and in. This ai what when you go to places with big in ceiling ac registers they are dirty all around. It's not from the duct itself but from the room.

Well I am definitely going to need a new blower resistor and connector. The blade terminal rotted away into the connector. The connector is also in rough shape.

I think what I will do is get a new resistor and solder wires to the blade terminals. The. I will pot the back of it sealing it up. After that I can use a 3rd part modern waterproof connector to the wire harness.

You can see where that evap core leaked into the debris. But something got hot in here and the housing has been melted on the firewall side.

I also need to sort out this 3 tee vacuum port that was connected to the vac ball.

Yeah, you're REALLY LUCKY that the blower motor didn't push flames into the cab plenum.

When that plastic gets going up inside the dash it's almost impossible to put out.

The vacuum manifold on the cowl goes to the climate control and the speed control (if you have that option)

Yeah, you're REALLY LUCKY that the blower motor didn't push flames into the cab plenum.

When that plastic gets going up inside the dash it's almost impossible to put out.

The vacuum manifold on the cowl goes to the climate control and the speed control (if you have that option)

Yes I have speed control for sure. I need to order new vacuum lines. Going to go find some silicone ones like I did on the 86 I just need to go find the tube ID for this. I think it was like 3/16 if I remember right.

1000004177.jpg.29b3bbc1b5c67a56d747bb6c3108d457.jpg

Yes I have speed control for sure. I need to order new vacuum lines. Going to go find some silicone ones like I did on the 86 I just need to go find the tube ID for this. I think it was like 3/16 if I remember right.

I need to make a trip to the junk yard and see if I can get some under the hood helpful like these AC hose brackets from this 1996 F250 (I know it says 97 but it's ab OBS truck).1000004268.thumb.jpg.b37452a986420e31ab55cf9b8f1085f6.jpg

Anyone care to chime in with other parts to look for off 90's trucks that are useful I will see if I can snatch those too. I'm hoping these AC hoses may be a match as I cannot seem to find any new ones.

I need to make a trip to the junk yard and see if I can get some under the hood helpful like these AC hose brackets from this 1996 F250 (I know it says 97 but it's ab OBS truck).

Anyone care to chime in with other parts to look for off 90's trucks that are useful I will see if I can snatch those too. I'm hoping these AC hoses may be a match as I cannot seem to find any new ones.

I will be back Friday. If the weather holds out on Saturday its going to be pressure wash the under carriage then change the rear diff oil and leaking seal, the C6 filter and leaking seal, and the oil/oil pan seal. With everything changed out and cleaned up it will make seeing any other leaks easier. Anything requiring dropping the transmission or pulling the engine will have to wait. Heads, manifold and valve covers will be replaced at some point for aluminum (less the valve covers) so those get to wait too.

That gets me running and feeling more comfortable about it. I need to also pull the passenger tire and check the hub. I'm thinking I have a bearing going bad, hopefully there is a hub set on the front because I don't think I have the tooling to press out and press in a new bearing into the axle 😂.