Bullnose Forums

'Rufus Maximus' - Build Thread

Danny G

Uh, that's a vacuum actuated blend motor for the heater, not anything to do with the wipers.

The wiper motor is in front of the driver attached to the front of the cowl, where the shaft sticks through inside the cowl to an eccentric arm attached to the linkage bar that connects the two wiper arm studs together.

You can get new plastic linkage bushings in the Dorman HELP section of most auto parts stores.

Sometimes it's the output bushing of the motor transmission.

In that case it's easier to just replace the motor, complete, for $40 or whatever they get these days.

You should try Fairchild gaskets for those rear doors.

They have a pretty amazing selection, that goes back well over 50 years.

Or give them a call if you can't find what you need....

Look at this screenshot from RA. :nabble_anim_confused:

You can easily see that both Precision & Fairchild offer gaskets for the REAR doors of a Bullnose pickup.

Screenshot_2024-06-27-03-55-59-571.thumb.jpeg.93cf4058adc33c3469031a705c034ed0.jpeg

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, that's a vacuum actuated blend motor for the heater, not anything to do with the wipers.

The wiper motor is in front of the driver attached to the front of the cowl, where the shaft sticks through inside the cowl to an eccentric arm attached to the linkage bar that connects the two wiper arm studs together.

You can get new plastic linkage bushings in the Dorman HELP section of most auto parts stores.

Sometimes it's the output bushing of the motor transmission.

In that case it's easier to just replace the motor, complete, for $40 or whatever they get these days.

You should try Fairchild gaskets for those rear doors.

They have a pretty amazing selection, that goes back well over 50 years.

Or give them a call if you can't find what you need....

Lol yeah I put the wrong picture in there.

I have a new motor from the PO.

20240627_093345.jpg.c491a37c3078667741afaec2e1087251.jpg

Also found the other end of the Romex not hooked to anything. And there is wiring plugged into the fuse box using spade connectors. The black wire from yesterday goes to this temp sensor. Trying to multitask here, my ADHD is shifting my focus. I need to get this wiper motor swapped.

20240627_092922.jpg.86bf2d0b39a893c601dd94370e5ce8f0.jpg

20240627_093028.jpg.5d7560830b8b717f04f71f8ced3fb100.jpg

Lots of cut or damaged factory harness wires. The two wires to the brake connector are beat up pretty bad and one has a splice on it.

Yes, the random green wire is for an understood light.

It's built into the harness of all trucks, but if your truck wasn't ordered with the option there won't be anything attached.

This is your wiper motor. Although it appears wrong ( should be 90°. You can see the open hole at the lower right)

The motor and the replacement both have 3 mounts. Should they have 4? Or is it just rotated?

The motor and the replacement both have 3 mounts. Should they have 4? Or is it just rotated?

My wiper motor doesn't look quite like that. :nabble_anim_confused:

It can be tricky to fish the linkage through the cowl openings.

Check the connector for corrosion.

Also be sure to have the engine ground cable attached just below the wiper motor.

These motors pull a lot of current and need good grounds.

Lol yeah I put the wrong picture in there.

I have a new motor from the PO.

Also found the other end of the Romex not hooked to anything. And there is wiring plugged into the fuse box using spade connectors. The black wire from yesterday goes to this temp sensor. Trying to multitask here, my ADHD is shifting my focus. I need to get this wiper motor swapped.

Lots of cut or damaged factory harness wires. The two wires to the brake connector are beat up pretty bad and one has a splice on it.

Wire nuts are a bane on humanity!

Right up with Scotchlok's and cheesy crimp connectors applied with diagonal cutters.

I've seen this sort of thing before.

The PO definitely had deep seated psychological issues!

Yes, the random green wire is for an understood light.

It's built into the harness of all trucks, but if your truck wasn't ordered with the option there won't be anything attached.

This is your wiper motor. Although it appears wrong ( should be 90°. You can see the open hole at the lower right)

it looks to be the correct wiper motor for an 86 but the open hole I believe is for a wire loom anchor

Look at this screenshot from RA. :nabble_anim_confused:

You can easily see that both Precision & Fairchild offer gaskets for the REAR doors of a Bullnose pickup.

having used both brands, I tend to prefer the precision over the fairchild

My wiper motor doesn't look quite like that. :nabble_anim_confused:

It can be tricky to fish the linkage through the cowl openings.

Check the connector for corrosion.

Also be sure to have the engine ground cable attached just below the wiper motor.

These motors pull a lot of current and need good grounds.

I think it was the brick nose that got the next gen wiper motor with the right angle, "worm gear" reduction assembly. the direct drive does tend to pull more amperage and their speed, power and performance varied greatly, and that is often due to the grounds and conductors.

Well, rear door gaskets are available.

FWIW, All crew cab trucks were made in Ontario.

Bill Vose can confirm...

I appreciate all the help. Im also worried about these seals/scrapers on the back doors. The one for the fixed window. I'm sure there is generic cut to fit material out there if needed. I could also potentially see a glass shop.

Screenshot_20240627_131340_Gallery.thumb.jpg.971aad319c5ece07fc973aad477e51d9.jpg