Bullnose Forums

'Rufus Maximus' - Build Thread

Danny G

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is I don't know what the factory relays were rated at. Are they 30, 40, 60, or 80 amp relays. Surely none were over 40 amps in these old trucks with their 70 amp alternators lol.

I think some were 50.

Electric fans in Lincoln's and Taurus/Sables were 70 or 80 IIRC.

Good scores in the junkyard....

But certainly the fuel pump relays and clearance/trailer lights weren't.

I've got the harness done up and labeled through the fire wall grommet. New wires to the inertia switch. You can see the corrosion that worked down the wire harness over the years of open connectors and wire damage.

New wire on the right.

20240719_091840.jpg.cfa7179d72e3cff0ef14a76608c876f4.jpg

20240719_094637.thumb.jpg.9abf381090b7dee2dc4b31c24aee8eb6.jpg

Inloat the labels on these two. The black wire goes to a ground behind the dash near the radio. I think it's G106. And the terminals go to the blower resistor and connector C228 by the accumulator.

The green and purple wire goes to the AC control and I believe it goes to C616 which then runs to the clutch pressure cycling switch and AC clutch coil which makes sense.

20240719_094856.thumb.jpg.e674c91e8359c0ee144dbf912901031f.jpg

I C144 off because I am planning on putting the relay box on the passenger side rather than running wires over the radiator to the relayon the driver side.

If that doesn't work out I will still move the connector and run the wires over the firewall area. I grabbed some harness and hose hangers off the OBS trucks.

I've got the harness done up and labeled through the fire wall grommet. New wires to the inertia switch. You can see the corrosion that worked down the wire harness over the years of open connectors and wire damage.

New wire on the right.

Inloat the labels on these two. The black wire goes to a ground behind the dash near the radio. I think it's G106. And the terminals go to the blower resistor and connector C228 by the accumulator.

The green and purple wire goes to the AC control and I believe it goes to C616 which then runs to the clutch pressure cycling switch and AC clutch coil which makes sense.

I C144 off because I am planning on putting the relay box on the passenger side rather than running wires over the radiator to the relayon the driver side.

If that doesn't work out I will still move the connector and run the wires over the firewall area. I grabbed some harness and hose hangers off the OBS trucks.

This harness I determined was the front door speaker harness. Probably not actually needed. When I run speakers then I'll replace them with OFC cable. Oh well I'll store it and give it to someone if they need it.

20240719_100540.jpg.06317fee795f4cae1abb8d76e565f0b0.jpg

This harness I determined was the front door speaker harness. Probably not actually needed. When I run speakers then I'll replace them with OFC cable. Oh well I'll store it and give it to someone if they need it.

Got the distribution box cleaned up before I went to work today. I think this will do nicely. I need to fabricate a bracket or go back and get the windshield wash tank bracket so I can mount this sideways. That would save me a good bit of room I think. I'll play around with it. I should be able to drop any diodes or resistors in here as well.

1000004721.jpg.f9177c8b22bacbb5abd776d3bfff014f.jpg

1000004722.jpg.fb09aba8d69816d0cbad84c4409b9d51.jpg

Got the distribution box cleaned up before I went to work today. I think this will do nicely. I need to fabricate a bracket or go back and get the windshield wash tank bracket so I can mount this sideways. That would save me a good bit of room I think. I'll play around with it. I should be able to drop any diodes or resistors in here as well.

Came home to a package today. Had a couple holes in the box that made me nervous.

20240719_204253.jpg.41943b82edd14b21c494a04594f0eba2.jpg

Came home to a package today. Had a couple holes in the box that made me nervous.

Ok so day inside today trying not to push my heart too much since I'm still having issues. I'm SOL on the distribution block if I cannot find contacts.

Got a bunch of stuff organized up and sorted then started prepping the ducts so they are ready to go back in. I had previously soaked everything and it cleaned up pretty well.

It amazes me the generation of engineers who grew up on carburetors didn't see the impact the Venturi effect would have on ducts. So sealed them I have.

20240720_204227.jpg.7c6b3a9ec1c550c3c7d987a7be3f6282.jpg

I have some work to do on this part. I think this is the one between the firewall and the blower/evap core. I am going to get the hot stapler out and maybe use some epoxy putty to fill the burned section sand and go.

20240720_204234.jpg.da53b9b71245f53ccabbab1d3e7101ed.jpg

1) Y shaped crack

2) puncture

3) puncture/blow out

4) fire damage- melted through

5) sealing lip chipped

6) chunk missing from edge

7) large crack all the way through to corner of damper cutout.

Ok so day inside today trying not to push my heart too much since I'm still having issues. I'm SOL on the distribution block if I cannot find contacts.

Got a bunch of stuff organized up and sorted then started prepping the ducts so they are ready to go back in. I had previously soaked everything and it cleaned up pretty well.

It amazes me the generation of engineers who grew up on carburetors didn't see the impact the Venturi effect would have on ducts. So sealed them I have.

I have some work to do on this part. I think this is the one between the firewall and the blower/evap core. I am going to get the hot stapler out and maybe use some epoxy putty to fill the burned section sand and go.

1) Y shaped crack

2) puncture

3) puncture/blow out

4) fire damage- melted through

5) sealing lip chipped

6) chunk missing from edge

7) large crack all the way through to corner of damper cutout.

Everything to a cost.

I'm sure the engineers knew better, but if it cost money and slowed assembly the beancounters probably nixed it...

Bill & Gary have a number for those terminations.

I'm not using one of those boxes so I didn't pay attention, but it's out there.

Everything to a cost.

I'm sure the engineers knew better, but if it cost money and slowed assembly the beancounters probably nixed it...

Bill & Gary have a number for those terminations.

I'm not using one of those boxes so I didn't pay attention, but it's out there.

Jim. believe it or not, if you take the bracket off the inner fender on the newer trucks, it will fit the inner fender on the 1987-1991 models. It might even fit the 1980-86 ones.