Bullnose Forums

'Rufus Maximus' - Build Thread

Danny G

I remember my dad telling me it removed old duct tape glue like a champ. I put it on there let it soak in and started scrubbing it about then wiped it up with a cloth. Benefit is it also helps with rust.

20240628_095227.jpg.b6e96aad0364a28bd4b8f8fcc27ae0cc.jpg

Sometimes you need brunt force and science.. IE an angle grinder and Phosphoric Acid

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes you need brunt force and science.. IE an angle grinder and Phosphoric Acid

It's not a decorative piece seeing as it's sandwiched between the cowl and the fire wall I had some black automotive primer and some black gloss enamel hanging out in the shelf so that's what she got. Between that and the other treatment it should be well protected, just needs to get some good cure time in before getting rough with it.

Screenshot_20240628_222443_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8efcc9f444e48e9a128d96327659ccf9.jpg

20240628_221522.thumb.jpg.9f7e0b7b72e72adcf3046ce066e1e87c.jpg

It's not a decorative piece seeing as it's sandwiched between the cowl and the fire wall I had some black automotive primer and some black gloss enamel hanging out in the shelf so that's what she got. Between that and the other treatment it should be well protected, just needs to get some good cure time in before getting rough with it.

Dug out the old ultrasonic cleaner today and put one of the wiper brackets in there and some of the smaller parts and as much of the arms that would fit. Going to see how that does vs cleaning the other brack up by hand.

It appears they had some sort of adhesive or butyl putty to hold the washer on this arm. There is a gap here. I'm not sure if that play is needed for the mechanism to keep from binding or not but I'm toying with splitting a nylon or better yet teflon washer on one side and sliding it in this gap to buffer between the metal and the plastic and basically nice surface to rotate against.

20240629_113050.jpg.feb8e2453162a8127e1210d62a8e2dff.jpg

Looks good. Especially for something that will be buried like that. :nabble_smiley_good:

Dug out the old ultrasonic cleaner today and put one of the wiper brackets in there and some of the smaller parts and as much of the arms that would fit. Going to see how that does vs cleaning the other brack up by hand.

It appears they had some sort of adhesive or butyl putty to hold the washer on this arm. There is a gap here. I'm not sure if that play is needed for the mechanism to keep from binding or not but I'm toying with splitting a nylon or better yet teflon washer on one side and sliding it in this gap to buffer between the metal and the plastic and basically nice surface to rotate against.

There are reasons that glass filled acetal (Delrin) injection mouldings are used for parts with an integral bush.

There are reasons that glass filled acetal (Delrin) injection mouldings are used for parts with an integral bush.

Went ahead and tossed everything into the ultrasonic cleaner with a 1:1 mix of simple green concentrate and water.

Left the wiper mounts and clip in there for about an hour while I went and acid washed any rust I could on the truck until the heat and sun took me out. It's 95 on the thermo right now and 70ish % humidity.

Took the mounts out and the clip it did a good job. Dried it up, hit it with some heat and added some WD40 to the pin to drive any water out between it and the Derlin material.

I'm gonna get these painted up at some point as well. I got thinking it would be pretty cool to maybe nickel electroplate this retaining clip.

20240629_125210.jpg.31ca1cd81db058b320845f6d5571886c.jpg

While outside I just when ahead and started treating anything I could around and under the cowl area. I have some Eastwood's chassis treatment coming in with the hose. I thought I had some still but can't find it. Thinking I'm going to mask off the top and feed the line through to treat everything, then transfer the hose to a can of paint to top it off.

I thought the edges at the seems in there were metal but it appears to be peeling body sealant. Looks like I need to scrape that out and replace a bead there before painting.

Basically started bathing the bed with metal prep. I have some damage here to sort out. The forward two bed mounts look like the carriage bolts spun on someone. So I have to hammer those out and repair that area. Maybe weld a washer to the underside.

20240629_134232.jpg.a170ec45c89bcf8512ce4e191198860c.jpg

20240629_134226.jpg.f0baed5e3907474f8f21debb8061daaf.jpg

The driver side forward bed side looks like a tie down ripped the hole open. And there are some more bed holes here, probably from a previous set of roll bars.

20240629_134236.jpg.f06c0b322e87305f9c2a92a147246039.jpg

20240629_134257.jpg.690a3e172feada99c85269921601f431.jpg

Finally this gooseneck needs to come out. Not sure if this was factory or not. It would be great if it's set up to be installed and removed as needed.

20240629_134340.jpg.67d669981d337536decb3a3988a32ef1.jpg

So some internet sleuthing has uncovered the potential reason for my wiper dilemma. The "new" units in the market are remans. Old motors got sent to China and refitted for sale. The only problem is when they got refitted they put the wrong drive arm on the motor.

The consensus seems to be that you have to file down the motor spindle until it fits the stock wiper drive arm. Go figure. I reached out to Car Done who is the seller of my motor to see if they have anything on the books to fix the issue. In the mean time I got the motor off the 1986 F150 and am cleaning it up. It worked when parked and the motor is spinning freely unlike the one in the 85.

I appreciate all the help. Im also worried about these seals/scrapers on the back doors. The one for the fixed window. I'm sure there is generic cut to fit material out there if needed. I could also potentially see a glass shop.

The ultrasonic cleaner works wonders on rusted chrome as well it would seem.20240630_214013.jpg.4f1f450ff45f6ff18ab3a9e12c373936.jpg

20240630_214011.jpg.dc7ff1efbfca7de8c6efd0ae767e582f.jpg

20240630_214007.jpg.38fc6c11a56e1cea3615e971f102b981.jpg

The ultrasonic cleaner works wonders on rusted chrome as well it would seem.

That ultrasonic cleaner sure seems to have done a number on those chromed pieces! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I don't think I've ever seen a factory option for a gooseneck ball, but that one looks like a clean installation.

Maybe Gary can confirm?

Your wiper motor is the exact opposite of Vivek's rebuilt power steering pump, where they just polished the shaft, leaving it too small for a good press fit.

"Damned if you do, damned if you don't"... I guess?

Cardone has never had a good reputation, but tbf they're working with scrap to begin with.

They used to offer a "upgraded" (Saginaw) power steering pump that fit the Ford C2 bracket and had a smaller shaft, so you could use your existing pulley.

There was a little 'horseshoe' adapter bracket, and their longer shaft put the pulley in the right place.

AFAIK, those haven't been seen in over 15 years, and I understand why there wouldn't be enough demand to keep on making them.

That ultrasonic cleaner sure seems to have done a number on those chromed pieces! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I don't think I've ever seen a factory option for a gooseneck ball, but that one looks like a clean installation.

Maybe Gary can confirm?

Your wiper motor is the exact opposite of Vivek's rebuilt power steering pump, where they just polished the shaft, leaving it too small for a good press fit.

"Damned if you do, damned if you don't"... I guess?

Cardone has never had a good reputation, but tbf they're working with scrap to begin with.

They used to offer a "upgraded" (Saginaw) power steering pump that fit the Ford C2 bracket and had a smaller shaft, so you could use your existing pulley.

There was a little 'horseshoe' adapter bracket, and their longer shaft put the pulley in the right place.

AFAIK, those haven't been seen in over 15 years, and I understand why there wouldn't be enough demand to keep on making them.

Yes, that cleaner has been doing a really good job. :nabble_smiley_good:

But I can't find a gooseneck hitch in either the MPC or the accessories catalog.