Bullnose Forums

Hello Alex Philadelphia Area

Thank you everyone! This forum is an amazing group of people. I have researched everything everyone has said. It will only make the noise if I am in gear. (I have 4 speed) From my investigation, the U joints are associated with the drive shaft, the drive shaft will spin even if not in gear? So would that eliminate that idea? AND same thought! I asked my wife if she would take a drive with me to film while I drive. She is 9 months pregnant and we have a 16 month old. Great time for a project!

Email it to me at janeyandgary@gmail.com and I'll see about getting it on here.

Thank you everyone! This forum is an amazing group of people. I have researched everything everyone has said. It will only make the noise if I am in gear. (I have 4 speed) From my investigation, the U joints are associated with the drive shaft, the drive shaft will spin even if not in gear? So would that eliminate that idea? AND same thought! I asked my wife if she would take a drive with me to film while I drive. She is 9 months pregnant and we have a 16 month old. Great time for a project!

No, the driveshaft and tail shaft bushing are only turning if the truck is in motion.

But that does make it odd that it seems worst in a particular gear.

if you can post a picture of the door jamb tag we can tell you which gearbox you have.

yeah, I was thinking u joints or even gears/carrier bearings, but the "squeal" is what I focused on. the u joints can make more of a chirp type sound once they are dry and abrading. and gears make more of a winding up whine, while carrier bearings do more of a rolling roar.

I have greased the heck out of all the joints in mine on the bronco but the one that still squealed is that double cardon joint “ball”.. usually the driveshaft squeal is more audible at lower speeds though and generally not audible inside the truck with windows up.

It is definitely a bearing somewhere. I’d definitely want to rule out wheel bearings (safety issue), even though OP says it happens only when accelerating. They definitely make the wowowowo noise!!!!

I have greased the heck out of all the joints in mine on the bronco but the one that still squealed is that double cardon joint “ball”.. usually the driveshaft squeal is more audible at lower speeds though and generally not audible inside the truck with windows up.

It is definitely a bearing somewhere. I’d definitely want to rule out wheel bearings (safety issue), even though OP says it happens only when accelerating. They definitely make the wowowowo noise!!!!

Clutch, pressure plate or throw out bearing??? CJ