Bullnose Forums

Hello Alex Philadelphia Area

Hello,

My name is Alex. I live outside of Philadelphia. I read this forum often but have never signed up. I think it is a great library of knowledge for someone that is less skilled / new to the auto industry.

I thought I had a few people that would help me before purchasing my truck. I want to learn and it would be easier with someone in person. Well, like always, those friends are MIA and I am bound to searching the internet every time I have an issue.

I have a 1986 f150 I6 short bed Manual RWD. I knew very little about cars/trucks before buying this truck. I always would bring my truck to a mechanic to get work done and my dad was a dentist so not much learning about auto related items when I was a kid. I changed my first battery ever, learned where and what coolant was and fixed a few small issues. That is my back story.

This is my first bigger issue since having my truck, she has been a trooper. When I am in 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd gear, the higher rpms you hear a louder squealing noise. To type the noise, wowowowowowo but with a squeal sound to it. If it was a newer car I would say it was a timing belt. I had a car that the timing belt went bad and it sounded similar to this but not as loud. If I drive very slow in 2nd gear it wont make the noise. If I push the pedal more when the noise is happening, it seems to amplify and the truck doesnt seem to be operating smooth.

Reading through forums, my first thought is to check the transmission fluid. (Which I really have no clue how to do, besides all the youtube videos I watched).

I looked at the belts on the front of the engine, they look newer and didnt feel loose. The noise sounds like its either below me or towards the front of the truck.

I am sorry if I am not being descriptive or maybe this is over my head. I have been trying to do everything my self and learn as I go. It is fun and rewarding.

My whole life I loved older fords. Finding this truck was 1 of the more difficult things and took me a few years. I had it transported up from Atlanta. I know this issue probably isnt huge but I have felt down not being able to figure it out.

PS, hope I am posting this in the right section. I dont want to get in trouble right after joining.

Hopefully Talk soon.

Alex

Alex - Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

"Philadelphia Area" could mean a lot of places. I used to live near Kennett Square, so have a bit of knowledge of where you might be. But we have a map, which you can see at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu, and I can add you if you just give me the city.

As for posting in the right place, we like to keep the intro's to the New Member Start Here folder as that means you get a chance to see our guidelines. But I can move this there if you'd like. No harm, no foul.

On your sound, it kind of sounds like a belt. But you said you've checked. Have you tried standing beside the truck with the hood open and having someone give the engine throttle to see if you can pinpoint the sound? One effective way to find a sound is to use a piece of hose with one end to your ear and the other poking around where the sound might be.

As for the transmission, you didn't say which one you have. If it is an automatic there should be a dipstick on the passenger's side under the hood back near the rear of the engine. But a manual requires getting under the truck and pulling a plug.

We can figure out what transmission your truck came with if you can post a picture of the certification label that should be on the driver's door post.

My sister lived in Swarthmore and I still have nieces and nephews to the south and west of Philly.

You don't say where you're from.

I have nieces/nephews in Chester, Ridley, Morton, Ardmore and Chestnut Hill.

My one great nephew seems to be into pickups and firefighting, if I can believe his feed.

I know he did mechanics in trade school...

The symptoms you described sound an awful lot like a bad universal joint at one (or both!) ends of the driveshaft.

The undulating screeching sound that changes with road speed and throttle application makes me suspicious.

"If I push the pedal more when the noise is happening, it seems to amplify and the truck doesnt seem to be operating smooth."

This is pretty simple to diagnose/determine and an easy repair for most people to do.

Depending on how it's attached you probably need some sockets, a pair of needle nose pliers, a grease gun and a hammer.

"Philadelphia Area" could mean a lot of places. I used to live near Kennett Square, so have a bit of knowledge of where you might be. But we have a map, which you can see at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu, and I can add you if you just give me the city.

As for posting in the right place, we like to keep the intro's to the New Member Start Here folder as that means you get a chance to see our guidelines. But I can move this there if you'd like. No harm, no foul.

On your sound, it kind of sounds like a belt. But you said you've checked. Have you tried standing beside the truck with the hood open and having someone give the engine throttle to see if you can pinpoint the sound? One effective way to find a sound is to use a piece of hose with one end to your ear and the other poking around where the sound might be.

As for the transmission, you didn't say which one you have. If it is an automatic there should be a dipstick on the passenger's side under the hood back near the rear of the engine. But a manual requires getting under the truck and pulling a plug.

We can figure out what transmission your truck came with if you can post a picture of the certification label that should be on the driver's door post.

describing automotive sounds is a real art. there seems to be an endless number of descriptions. however, when the sounds occur is a major part of it.

when driving. second gear or third. light load vs heavier load.

these are great points. these lead to drive line as opposed to engine. the high pitch squeal leads me to possibly the throw out bearing. to test just slightly hold the clutch pedal with your foot when the sound appears. if it changes then you have verified that it is at least a contributor.

He says "manual" but I'm not sure if it's NP or a SROD variant. (doubt a shortbed would wear a T-18)

He says "manual" but I'm not sure if it's NP or a SROD variant. (doubt a shortbed would wear a T-18)

yeah, I was thinking u joints or even gears/carrier bearings, but the "squeal" is what I focused on. the u joints can make more of a chirp type sound once they are dry and abrading. and gears make more of a winding up whine, while carrier bearings do more of a rolling roar.

yeah, I was thinking u joints or even gears/carrier bearings, but the "squeal" is what I focused on. the u joints can make more of a chirp type sound once they are dry and abrading. and gears make more of a winding up whine, while carrier bearings do more of a rolling roar.

Very good points Matt

As Alex already said ' it's hard to describe a sound'

There are nuances each of us would interpret differently.

Crawling under the truck in neutral with the wheels chocked and trying to move the driveshaft around might be the telling thing

Welcome Alex, you're at the right place, there is no MIA here.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

If you could record the sound using a phone, maybe you could email it to Gary and he could post it here for you (video embedding process isn't intuitive in Nabble forum platform, but this will change in a near future since the Forum will move to InVision platform).

I understand that this noise does not occur in Park position, so you'll have to drive the truck in order to record it, having someone with you would be easier.

Welcome Alex, you're at the right place, there is no MIA here.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

If you could record the sound using a phone, maybe you could email it to Gary and he could post it here for you (video embedding process isn't intuitive in Nabble forum platform, but this will change in a near future since the Forum will move to InVision platform).

I understand that this noise does not occur in Park position, so you'll have to drive the truck in order to record it, having someone with you would be easier.

Thank you everyone! This forum is an amazing group of people. I have researched everything everyone has said. It will only make the noise if I am in gear. (I have 4 speed) From my investigation, the U joints are associated with the drive shaft, the drive shaft will spin even if not in gear? So would that eliminate that idea? AND same thought! I asked my wife if she would take a drive with me to film while I drive. She is 9 months pregnant and we have a 16 month old. Great time for a project!