Bullnose Forums

Turn signal issues

The turn signal switch on my tilt column is giving me problems. Works fine in one direction but very difficult to engage in the oppisite direction. The blinker works but the catch will not stay engaged. Also my horn decided to quit working at about the same time. Could the issues be related? 1984 F150 tilt column.

As someone who has attempted to just change the turn signal cam (Dorman replacement) --- do not attempt that. It is definitely not worth the time. The best thing to do is just replace the turn signal switch. Rockauto / Shee-mar switches are great.

Horn quitting at the same time.. I'm not sure. Maybe a relay issue or maybe the horn/ground "pins" on the turn signal switch are not making contact with the "race" on the steering wheel. The other distant possibility is that the piece of turn signal cam that broke off (which is why it won't lock in anymore) is somehow affecting the function of the "pins".

As someone who has attempted to just change the turn signal cam (Dorman replacement) --- do not attempt that. It is definitely not worth the time. The best thing to do is just replace the turn signal switch. Rockauto / Shee-mar switches are great.

Horn quitting at the same time.. I'm not sure. Maybe a relay issue or maybe the horn/ground "pins" on the turn signal switch are not making contact with the "race" on the steering wheel. The other distant possibility is that the piece of turn signal cam that broke off (which is why it won't lock in anymore) is somehow affecting the function of the "pins".

No problem replacing the whole switch. Just making sure I am not replacing something I do not need to. The column is a rebuilt unit that I purchased several year ago. Has not been used very much until recently. Was working fine on the original install. The lever is not catching on a left turn unless you press it very hard.

No problem replacing the whole switch. Just making sure I am not replacing something I do not need to. The column is a rebuilt unit that I purchased several year ago. Has not been used very much until recently. Was working fine on the original install. The lever is not catching on a left turn unless you press it very hard.

If it still works, but just needs a harder press, then I'd say run it until it breaks :nabble_smiley_wink: but then if the engagement is actually happening then nothing has broken.... so it shouldn't have anything to do with the horn.

But you do need a horn. My 1980's Horn fix took me 4+ hours to figure out. I was troubleshooting it like a 81-86 on the EVTM and went after the horn relay, and ground on the column etc. Then I figured out the horn was powered via the headlight switch on the 1980 only. The previous owner installed a manual toot horn on the mirror as he gave up on the horn. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

If it still works, but just needs a harder press, then I'd say run it until it breaks :nabble_smiley_wink: but then if the engagement is actually happening then nothing has broken.... so it shouldn't have anything to do with the horn.

But you do need a horn. My 1980's Horn fix took me 4+ hours to figure out. I was troubleshooting it like a 81-86 on the EVTM and went after the horn relay, and ground on the column etc. Then I figured out the horn was powered via the headlight switch on the 1980 only. The previous owner installed a manual toot horn on the mirror as he gave up on the horn. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Thanks. I am going to pull tje steering wheel and do some trouble shooting. I am hoping the horn issue is related. Would make trouble shooting a little easier.