Bullnose Forums

460 is running rich on Edelbrock 1411

The revs are just louder and they do less in accelerating the 5300 lbs... No problems revving.

I have the hot fuel handling system from the 86 source truck.. all of it! If I can only find a way to return the a 5/16s line back to the fuel tank, I'd be happy to use that system.

I do think I will use the reflective braid in the mean time, that should help. Its only a problem I see in stop and go situations.

Yesterday I was on the highway for a while and no problems. In fact a newer year model mall crawling / low profile wide tires sticking out F250 tried to pass me, he couldn't .. man those tires were loud, I could hear them over all the road noise in my cabin :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I'm reminded by Chad that the Bronco tank retained the small bung in the top of the tank , so I'm pretty sure that if you got a pre-'85 Bronco sender it would have the 5/16 return nipple to work with your system, but in no case would the large bung '86 pickup pump & sender fit into the '78 tank.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The revs are just louder and they do less in accelerating the 5300 lbs... No problems revving....

Its hard to describe but I can really hear the engine revving hard when hot and over 1800 rpm...... the oomph isn't there definitely as when things are colder.

I was going to say the engine can't rev hard and the truck not go.

Then I realized you have a C6, which is one of the best ways to turn power into heat!

Do you have a transmission temp gauge?

Have you considered that as the ATF loses viscosity the torque converter is going to have more 'slip'?

If it's only gutless after extended traffic (where the tranny cooler isn't really getting the airflow it needs) maybe a factory tow or aftermarket cooler is the answer?

Id definitely monitor temps and let that guide my decision.

None of the above sounds like a lean condition or an ignition problem.

The revs are just louder and they do less in accelerating the 5300 lbs... No problems revving....

Its hard to describe but I can really hear the engine revving hard when hot and over 1800 rpm...... the oomph isn't there definitely as when things are colder.

I was going to say the engine can't rev hard and the truck not go.

Then I realized you have a C6, which is one of the best ways to turn power into heat!

Do you have a transmission temp gauge?

Have you considered that as the ATF loses viscosity the torque converter is going to have more 'slip'?

If it's only gutless after extended traffic (where the tranny cooler isn't really getting the airflow it needs) maybe a factory tow or aftermarket cooler is the answer?

Id definitely monitor temps and let that guide my decision.

None of the above sounds like a lean condition or an ignition problem.

Jim, as I was reading along trying to imagine causes of this type of problem my mind went directly to loss inside the transmission/converter. that sense of "spooling up" with a non-locking converter. if that is the case then slipping is next. a cooler meant for tow vehicles is not going to hurt either way. could be the best 50 bucks spent.

Jim, as I was reading along trying to imagine causes of this type of problem my mind went directly to loss inside the transmission/converter. that sense of "spooling up" with a non-locking converter. if that is the case then slipping is next. a cooler meant for tow vehicles is not going to hurt either way. could be the best 50 bucks spent.

I have monitored temps on the trans pan valve body , lines. Usually around 180…

Matt, are you saying slip like the gears slipping or the torque converter… I will see if it’s a particular gear that is acting up … maybe the 2nd gear band needs adjusting …

maybe why I think I’m happy on the highway (3rd), and off a full stop (1st) but miserable when I just made a turn and try to accelerate

Yeah, I've never owned an automatic, so it's not something I often think about, and Vivek's description of symptoms doesn't click with how I process information. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

In my mind either the revs climb or they don't.

Of course the engine will be louder under acceleration above 1800 rpm.

If there's no pinging when lugging the poor engine like that advance the timing for more power. (redline is 5,800!)

Yeah, I've never owned an automatic, so it's not something I often think about, and Vivek's description of symptoms doesn't click with how I process information. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

In my mind either the revs climb or they don't.

Of course the engine will be louder under acceleration above 1800 rpm.

If there's no pinging when lugging the poor engine like that advance the timing for more power. (redline is 5,800!)

One of the first things I learned when I started working is when you cannot describe the problem statement precisely, the problem will never be solved.

I am finding it hard to describe what I am feeling... cold vs really hot is just a bit different... I can really hear the engine revving... and I have no problems keeping up with traffic. I think I have a problem, and rev harder and then I left everyone waay back in the rear view mirror...

Maybe I'll drive the Bronco to the truck show and an expert can help with the problem statement :nabble_smiley_wink:

I did order a 3/4 ID reflective braid fuel line cover with hook and loop closure (10ft)

Also ordered a 2nd gear band adjustment replacement lock nut just now and also need a socket of some kind to engage the square end (Matt, if you can tell me what kind of socket you use that would be great).

One of the first things I learned when I started working is when you cannot describe the problem statement precisely, the problem will never be solved.

I am finding it hard to describe what I am feeling... cold vs really hot is just a bit different... I can really hear the engine revving... and I have no problems keeping up with traffic. I think I have a problem, and rev harder and then I left everyone waay back in the rear view mirror...

Maybe I'll drive the Bronco to the truck show and an expert can help with the problem statement :nabble_smiley_wink:

I did order a 3/4 ID reflective braid fuel line cover with hook and loop closure (10ft)

Also ordered a 2nd gear band adjustment replacement lock nut just now and also need a socket of some kind to engage the square end (Matt, if you can tell me what kind of socket you use that would be great).

Yes, we will have experts up here. Bring it on! :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, have y'all considered the noise the cooling fan makes? If there's a perceived difference between hot and cold then maybe the noise the fan makes when hot is clouding the perception?

Yes, we will have experts up here. Bring it on! :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, have y'all considered the noise the cooling fan makes? If there's a perceived difference between hot and cold then maybe the noise the fan makes when hot is clouding the perception?

Gary, that is a great point. My exhaust is very quiet so I can usually hear everything else well (Even the low profile extra-wide tires next to me the other day)...

You are probably right that all I have is additional fan noise with the fan clutch engaging some more..... I am just running with the stock fan-clutch on the 460 which should be heavy duty ...

Gary, that is a great point. My exhaust is very quiet so I can usually hear everything else well (Even the low profile extra-wide tires next to me the other day)...

You are probably right that all I have is additional fan noise with the fan clutch engaging some more..... I am just running with the stock fan-clutch on the 460 which should be heavy duty ...

This is about where your VCV should be switching the advance to full manifold vacuum.

But you say you're lacking power...

Or is it forward motivation?

I'm reminded by Chad that the Bronco tank retained the small bung in the top of the tank , so I'm pretty sure that if you got a pre-'85 Bronco sender it would have the 5/16 return nipple to work with your system, but in no case would the large bung '86 pickup pump & sender fit into the '78 tank.

I have this sending unit in the link below... my new tank is also a non-vented tank for the 78 year model. No additional bungs anywhere. It does have a dedicated vent line (like the 78 year model did) from the tank that runs into the fuel filler area. It works so well anywhere. I can even fill up uninterrupted at the costco pumps which fill up the quickest.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1978-1979-Ford-Bronco-Sending-Unit-255-Gallon/productinfo/20229/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwxNW2BhAkEiwA24Cm9Ibq0fknlZ8tnCa_Q-DHF3BZ6JKMl0U7HaA7PNhiCIxR-r4c9HsCqRoCumcQAvD_BwE