Bullnose Forums

460 is running rich on Edelbrock 1411

My parents are here now on vacation and they simply do not understand why I’m working on my cars “like a mechanic”. I asked them if they have never heard of people collecting cars where they live. According to them that is a hobby for the ‘Elite’ only… museum grade typically… so evidently hot rodding is not for the common man, sadly in the third world. You can probably see Where I get it from.

Tell them I send my welcome! :nabble_waving_orig:

I don't know how the weather is down in Tamil Nadu, but I see it's ferociously hot in Delhi.

Maybe early summer in Tejas is normal for them?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell them I send my welcome! :nabble_waving_orig:

I don't know how the weather is down in Tamil Nadu, but I see it's ferociously hot in Delhi.

Maybe early summer in Tejas is normal for them?

Thanks!

In Tamil Nadu, the peak summer is in April, May, but the temp alone isn't a good indication of how mad it is out there. Comparing temperatures alone the summers are no different from Texas. The Extreme Humidity over there is what kills it. I swear only the trees love it. They have a year around growing cycle. Exterior Paint on homes only lasts a few years before moss growth destroys it :nabble_smiley_scared:

Thanks!

In Tamil Nadu, the peak summer is in April, May, but the temp alone isn't a good indication of how mad it is out there. Comparing temperatures alone the summers are no different from Texas. The Extreme Humidity over there is what kills it. I swear only the trees love it. They have a year around growing cycle. Exterior Paint on homes only lasts a few years before moss growth destroys it :nabble_smiley_scared:

So, it's very pleasant for them! :nabble_smiley_happy:

I'm surprised that 3rd world countries aren't still using lead paint.

Nothing grows on that, and it lasts nearly forever.

(Let me tell you about the mercury anti-fouling paint I used to grind off the bottoms of boats -with nothing but a bandana tied over my face -). :nabble_anim_crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll see when I can get by to the barn.

I know that I took it off and changed the accelerator pump. (Brass & blue I believe)

But life is very hectic for me right now.

I'm trying to be in five places at once.

Are your parents still in town?

IMG_20240703_150832_HDR.jpg.67707c9be7f6472c66db887d996b6624.jpg

One "barn fresh" 650 AVS in the box.... :nabble_smiley_cool:

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Are your parents still in town?

One "barn fresh" 650 AVS in the box.... :nabble_smiley_cool:

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Yes they are. They reminded me again today that I'm not a mechanic and should leave it to the professionals, ha ha.... my self-confidence this past month has been somewhat low... :nabble_poo-23_orig:

And thanks for that Edelbrock 650 AVS!! Hope to put it to good use someday. You will need to send me your paypal or whatever else you prefer.

Yes they are. They reminded me again today that I'm not a mechanic and should leave it to the professionals, ha ha.... my self-confidence this past month has been somewhat low... :nabble_poo-23_orig:

And thanks for that Edelbrock 650 AVS!! Hope to put it to good use someday. You will need to send me your paypal or whatever else you prefer.

Drop it on! 😈

It works well enough on my truck.

Certainly much easier to tweak to perfection!

A 460 in a little Bronco should rip!

JBG and L&L started this mess, putting 385's in lightweight trucks with their conversion mounts, flywheels, headers and the like.

Drop it on! 😈

It works well enough on my truck.

Certainly much easier to tweak to perfection!

A 460 in a little Bronco should rip!

JBG and L&L started this mess, putting 385's in lightweight trucks with their conversion mounts, flywheels, headers and the like.

I shall endeavor to, my wife willing! I have exhausted just about all available resources (time) to fix what was broken....

And I am glad those guys started this mess. 7-8 city mpg (460) vs 10-11 city mpg (351m)..... its a wash. And as they say its all about the "smiles per gallon".

I shall endeavor to, my wife willing! I have exhausted just about all available resources (time) to fix what was broken....

And I am glad those guys started this mess. 7-8 city mpg (460) vs 10-11 city mpg (351m)..... its a wash. And as they say its all about the "smiles per gallon".

You have to really push hard to get 7!

Plowing snow or over 90 constantly.

• 1 month later...

You have to really push hard to get 7!

Plowing snow or over 90 constantly.

Installed a different return spring for the "power enrichment" system. Since my vacuum reading was high the stock spring took too long and I definitely had a lean bog. I went to the 8" Spring and it is definitely doing a lot better

B0776344-6225-4E14-942E-8D06E453CACE.jpeg.1d8b7549583db5ca02def90fe4121e3c.jpeg

Capture.png.c6d03e573ba0f6ffdda87ea5acbb0070.png

Installed a different return spring for the "power enrichment" system. Since my vacuum reading was high the stock spring took too long and I definitely had a lean bog. I went to the 8" Spring and it is definitely doing a lot better

There are also different step up rods (metering rods) with different diameters. Chrysler used a two stage piston that required a taller cover and longer jets so the rods wouldn't come out of the jets. The piston had a small spring that in conjunction with the nain spring would give an early "tip in" at a slightly richer mixture. Holley did the same, but had a 2 stage power valve to do it.

The older Carter carbs, the WCFB, WCD, WGD had a mechanical limiter on the metering rod system that prevented them from going too lean at higher throttle openings. The ThermoQuad OEM models had a similar system and like the older carbs had the metering rods linked together with a single piston.