Bullnose Forums

460 is running rich on Edelbrock 1411

Not ALL the fuel a 460 can get! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

When I first bought the 08457-S that I gave to George for their Ranchero, one of the butterfly screws on the secondary was not tight and hung up the float.

Holley demanded their QC was 100%! šŸ§

It hydro locked, naturally.... :nabble_smiley_hurt:

With a mechanical pump, no fuel at all is moving unless the cam is turning.

But the higher the R's the more volume you can get.

The pump itself has a return line....

Amen, brother! When I got Big Blue :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: had bypassed the safeties on the electric fuel pump. Someone turned the key on and hydrolocked the engine. I pulled the drain plug and got 6 quarts of oil and 7 quarts of gas. And each cylinder was FULL as well.

But yes, pull the air horn on the Eddy and you can set the float levels. Specs are in this document: https://www.edelbrock.com/media/wysiwyg/documents/carb-owners-manual.pdf

I called Edelbrock and according to the carburetor should never be in the ā€œRichestā€ setting on the accelerator pump from factory. And based on the other things I described they had concerns of it being tampered with possibly. They said I should reach out to summit and just warranty it for a new one. Well summit just took it back as it was within the return periodā€¦

Iā€™ll probably just buy another 1411 unless there should be another that would do better for a 460.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called Edelbrock and according to the carburetor should never be in the ā€œRichestā€ setting on the accelerator pump from factory. And based on the other things I described they had concerns of it being tampered with possibly. They said I should reach out to summit and just warranty it for a new one. Well summit just took it back as it was within the return periodā€¦

Iā€™ll probably just buy another 1411 unless there should be another that would do better for a 460.

I was really happy with the 650 AVS. (I think it's a better carb, than any AFB)

I was really happy with the 650 AVS. (I think it's a better carb, than any AFB)

The AVS is the better of the two carbs. And 650 is enough for a 460. I swapped from a 750 Eddy to a 600 and could only tell the difference above 4000 RPM. You might consider buying Jimā€™s AVS.

(I had that almost typed while at Janeyā€™s therapy and then started talking with a guy named Bill. Heā€™s an 88 year old hotrodder with a 64 Chevelle with a 544 in it running methanol. We talked AFBs, AVSs, WCFBs, QJets, and even Holleys - and his opinion on the later is the same as mine. And he agrees heā€™d put the 650 AVS on the 460.)

The AVS is the better of the two carbs. And 650 is enough for a 460. I swapped from a 750 Eddy to a 600 and could only tell the difference above 4000 RPM. You might consider buying Jimā€™s AVS.

(I had that almost typed while at Janeyā€™s therapy and then started talking with a guy named Bill. Heā€™s an 88 year old hotrodder with a 64 Chevelle with a 544 in it running methanol. We talked AFBs, AVSs, WCFBs, QJets, and even Holleys - and his opinion on the later is the same as mine. And he agrees heā€™d put the 650 AVS on the 460.)

I'd give it away (as I did the Holley) just to pay it forward.

I certainly don't need it where I'm going...

But all that hinges on getting to Wilton, and if any of my stuff still exists.

RN I'm trying to fix all the crap wrong with the Altima for my nephew, and getting my truck reliable for travel.

Please stay tuned! I'm not sure where this is going.... šŸ„“

I'd give it away (as I did the Holley) just to pay it forward.

I certainly don't need it where I'm going...

But all that hinges on getting to Wilton, and if any of my stuff still exists.

RN I'm trying to fix all the crap wrong with the Altima for my nephew, and getting my truck reliable for travel.

Please stay tuned! I'm not sure where this is going.... šŸ„“

Summit just called me and told me my carb is outside the 90 day return but would consider an exchange since Iā€™m having warranty issues. Iā€™ll be going into store later, let me see if I can charm them into selling me a 650AVS instead :nabble_smiley_wink:

It has vacuum secondaries right ? I assume thatā€™s what the VS in AVS stands for. Iā€™ve seen vacuum secondaries are better for a truck but not sure why.

88 years old w/ a 544 running meth?

God bless him! šŸ™

I don't want to make 65, but it seems he's found some excitement in his life! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Ā 

Summit just called me and told me my carb is outside the 90 day return but would consider an exchange since Iā€™m having warranty issues. Iā€™ll be going into store later, let me see if I can charm them into selling me a 650AVS instead :nabble_smiley_wink:

It has vacuum secondaries right ? I assume thatā€™s what the VS in AVS stands for. Iā€™ve seen vacuum secondaries are better for a truck but not sure why.

AVS = Air Valve Secondaries.

An Aluminum Four Barrel (AFB/Edelbrock Performer) has adjustable secondaries - you disassemble the WHOLE carb and either grind weight off the arm or weld weight onto it to get the secondaries to open sooner/later.

On an AVS you hold the adjustment screw so it doesn't move and loosen the set screw and either loosen/tighten the adjustment screw to open soon/later. You'll usually have to pull the air cleaner but nothing else to do that job.

Keep adjusting until the secondaries open just a bit too soon and you bog, and then tighten it up slightly and you are adjusted perfectly for the elevation and temp where you are running.

God bless him! šŸ™

I don't want to make 65, but it seems he's found some excitement in his life! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

We had a wonderful conversation! It started with him saying to someone else "Have you been back to Ark City?" I told him that was my home town. He said he used to run at the drag strip there. I said you mean the touch & go strip west of town? I saw Art Arfons run there.

An hour later we'd discussed Buick 300's with aluminum heads and Super Turbine 300 transmissions with the switch-the-pitch feature, Buick 455's, Motorcraft 4100's, etc. I'd start into something and he'd chime in with a detail that proved he knows what he's talking about. Or vice versa.

That's why I got three lines typed earlier and didn't finish until we got home. :nabble_smiley_wink:

God bless him! šŸ™

We had a wonderful conversation! It started with him saying to someone else "Have you been back to Ark City?" I told him that was my home town. He said he used to run at the drag strip there. I said you mean the touch & go strip west of town? I saw Art Arfons run there.

An hour later we'd discussed Buick 300's with aluminum heads and Super Turbine 300 transmissions with the switch-the-pitch feature, Buick 455's, Motorcraft 4100's, etc. I'd start into something and he'd chime in with a detail that proved he knows what he's talking about. Or vice versa.

That's why I got three lines typed earlier and didn't finish until we got home. :nabble_smiley_wink:

You never know where you're going to bump into a confederate..

You never know where you're going to bump into a confederate..

Yep, I didn't expect it at the "gym" where Janey is taking therapy. But some of these people have been coming there for 20+ years and know everyone and their families. The first day there I didn't fit in - or so I thought. But now I do. :nabble_smiley_good: