Bullnose Forums

460 is running rich on Edelbrock 1411

it seems as though you see it as I:nabble_thinking-26_orig: do.

Installed new auxiliary cooler, not too satisfied with the wonky install, I wanted to make sure it wasn’t right up against the AC condenser and there was a good air gap. But it is secure and functional.

Today it was about 79F ambient and in my opinion the temp numbers below look somewhat high and indicative of a torque converter not at the top of its game ??

1D74B85C-F12D-4002-B6BF-9FD73C0468B7.jpeg.b0eb3af900a261551cdcb012c00663df.jpeg

Temp gauge plumbed between the radiator and aux cooler.

53304D3B-B1B3-4E31-A396-806AA250F0C4.jpeg.5650c6204e246edc631c8fcb92bf6bc8.jpeg

Temp with AC off after driving 5 mins like a loony :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

3CCAE9C3-7802-44F8-BEA9-CF9D5310CCA0.jpeg.77ca9dce4392bbc6e431834356a965d6.jpeg

Temp with AC on and driving yet another 5 mins like a reckless teenager :nabble_smiley_blush:

D3EBE05F-627B-4D8E-A70C-303442327875.jpeg.3854884b706464ef75e4528d23617836.jpeg

Temp at input cooler line to radiator (215C)

C72BFAE3-593F-43E1-A24F-1A05523516BD.jpeg.0d1ef596f416ccf658e3b038c7be449a.jpeg

Temp at cooler line going back into transmission (186F)

A3427FD4-6FB1-4D9F-B4F3-9297F6E43595.jpeg.f76c8fa9d8add5072484fed8b87437aa.jpeg

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Installed new auxiliary cooler, not too satisfied with the wonky install, I wanted to make sure it wasn’t right up against the AC condenser and there was a good air gap. But it is secure and functional.

Today it was about 79F ambient and in my opinion the temp numbers below look somewhat high and indicative of a torque converter not at the top of its game ??

Temp gauge plumbed between the radiator and aux cooler.

Temp with AC off after driving 5 mins like a loony :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Temp with AC on and driving yet another 5 mins like a reckless teenager :nabble_smiley_blush:

Temp at input cooler line to radiator (215C)

Temp at cooler line going back into transmission (186F)

Bummer! Internet went down as I posted and I lost the post.

Anyway, a lot depends on how you plumbed it, meaning where the aux cooler is with respect to the gauge and the radiator's cooler.

The radiator will eventually get to the temp your thermostat is set to, and even with COLD ATF going into it the ATF coming out will be almost coolant temp.

So, how are you plumbed?

Bummer! Internet went down as I posted and I lost the post.

Anyway, a lot depends on how you plumbed it, meaning where the aux cooler is with respect to the gauge and the radiator's cooler.

The radiator will eventually get to the temp your thermostat is set to, and even with COLD ATF going into it the ATF coming out will be almost coolant temp.

So, how are you plumbed?

I see... The way its plumbed is shown below... I found this diagram online and I have just added a green circle to show where the temp gauge 'tap' is. It was convenient to tap there as that part is a rubber line.

Unfortunately my temp gauge is post radiator... so the actual fluid temp coming out of the cooler lines is ~20-30F hotter probably and that is what I saw. 190F at the gauge meant approx. 215C on the input cooler line to the radiator.

X-20101031145042924.jpg.9d85209b67dbd2f009cb0efcfd861451.jpg

I see... The way its plumbed is shown below... I found this diagram online and I have just added a green circle to show where the temp gauge 'tap' is. It was convenient to tap there as that part is a rubber line.

Unfortunately my temp gauge is post radiator... so the actual fluid temp coming out of the cooler lines is ~20-30F hotter probably and that is what I saw. 190F at the gauge meant approx. 215C on the input cooler line to the radiator.

I don't think where you are measuring the temp will give you very helpful info. I think I'd want the temp coming right out of the transmission - very similar to where Ford puts the temp sender in the cooling system. That is right ahead of any cooling.

But that's just my thinking. You should see what other say.

I don't think where you are measuring the temp will give you very helpful info. I think I'd want the temp coming right out of the transmission - very similar to where Ford puts the temp sender in the cooling system. That is right ahead of any cooling.

But that's just my thinking. You should see what other say.

Gary, I agree with that. The way I have it is not representative of actual temp at the transmission pan, I have seen some people add the temp gauge to the transmission pan.

I am hoping if I can baseline it i.e. establish a correlation with a infrared gauge between the actual temp and what the gauge says, I can use it as a 'monitor'.

Gary, I agree with that. The way I have it is not representative of actual temp at the transmission pan, I have seen some people add the temp gauge to the transmission pan.

I am hoping if I can baseline it i.e. establish a correlation with a infrared gauge between the actual temp and what the gauge says, I can use it as a 'monitor'.

Since I have a drain plug, I decided to drop the pan just to check … nothing sinister inside ..

This is after 700 miles

0264C730-7059-4AC1-B09C-A663C0DDC1E3.jpeg.4b693fa125266cdc24e79b77d9e4aa58.jpeg

I wiped the pan and it was black stuff that was on the wipe

CB2EB1C0-567F-4088-A3E7-B766DF3ECE19.jpeg.3ea5790e927879311696ff207e3ef7e7.jpeg

Since I have a drain plug, I decided to drop the pan just to check … nothing sinister inside ..

This is after 700 miles

I wiped the pan and it was black stuff that was on the wipe

If we think it was just a case of stuck governor, and by adding Lucas, I have made that less like to happen… and I haven’t found anything malicious in the pan… added a cooler now.. just thinking am I long-distance ready?

I do have AAA coverage :nabble_smiley_thinking:

If we think it was just a case of stuck governor, and by adding Lucas, I have made that less like to happen… and I haven’t found anything malicious in the pan… added a cooler now.. just thinking am I long-distance ready?

I do have AAA coverage :nabble_smiley_thinking:

certainly, it is more representative of trans temp if measuring immediately out of the trans before headed to the cooling system. and that is what the pump, converter. clutches, bands and all valve body are dealing with. the cooled fluid gets pumped right back into the pool so to speak cooling the whole, yet it is not the operating temp.

certainly, it is more representative of trans temp if measuring immediately out of the trans before headed to the cooling system. and that is what the pump, converter. clutches, bands and all valve body are dealing with. the cooled fluid gets pumped right back into the pool so to speak cooling the whole, yet it is not the operating temp.

Don't know if you are long distance ready, but put it on the road in the interim?

Don't know if you are long distance ready, but put it on the road in the interim?

Matt, yes, that makes sense. I am definitely leaning on this temp reading as just a means to baseline performance. Today while driving, I saw 215F at the radiator input, about 186F going back into the transmission, and my gauge was roughly at 190F.... so if I see 190F at the gauge, I'm definitely closer to 220F at the transmission pan... which I think is too much unfortunately based on watching modern transmissions. I had a 07 F150 and even towing 7000 lbs I never saw the trans fluid get hotter than 215F.

I don't know if I don't have adequate cooling or if my torque converter isn't doing a good job.... I do not have a good baseline yet from internet search on what is a good temperature for C6.

Gary, yes, I believe it would be fine to put things to the test in the meantime locally.

I just went on a 15 mile trip (half-highway/half stop and go) and things seem to be doing better than ever actually. I am having less "horsepower" loss while hot, and "gauge" never went above 190F.