Bullnose Forums

460 is running rich on Edelbrock 1411

Thanks a lot!!!! That is really useful to confirm part numbers and see where the screws go.

Be careful with that "part numbers" bit. I'm sure you are aware that the #'s shown are the base part numbers and you need the prefix and suffix to complete the part number.

But most people post the ID# that is on the part and call it a part number. It isn't and in too many cases there is a significant difference between the ID # and the PN.

I may be able cross reference ID to PN if you want. "May" because my earliest cross reference book is from 1980, but it should cover the 70's.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful with that "part numbers" bit. I'm sure you are aware that the #'s shown are the base part numbers and you need the prefix and suffix to complete the part number.

But most people post the ID# that is on the part and call it a part number. It isn't and in too many cases there is a significant difference between the ID # and the PN.

I may be able cross reference ID to PN if you want. "May" because my earliest cross reference book is from 1980, but it should cover the 70's.

Thanks and noted... I have ordered one off eBay. D8TE-9C604-BA

I'll see if the cold air intake helps.

Thanks and noted... I have ordered one off eBay. D8TE-9C604-BA

I'll see if the cold air intake helps.

This is one of "those cases" as "9C604" does not exist in the MPC, which normally lists only part numbers.

"D8TE-9C604-BA" is obviously an ID# as the "E" of D8TE doesn't fit with a part number. Nor does the "BA" as all PN suffixes I've seen have only a single character.

So without going to the cross reference, getting the PN from the ID #, and then looking that up in the MPC I can't tell you what that part fits. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

This is one of "those cases" as "9C604" does not exist in the MPC, which normally lists only part numbers.

"D8TE-9C604-BA" is obviously an ID# as the "E" of D8TE doesn't fit with a part number. Nor does the "BA" as all PN suffixes I've seen have only a single character.

So without going to the cross reference, getting the PN from the ID #, and then looking that up in the MPC I can't tell you what that part fits. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Understood. I am taking a chance on this. Even if it will fit close enough, I can get it to work.

Understood. I am taking a chance on this. Even if it will fit close enough, I can get it to work.

Installed the same Edelbrock 9266 gasket on Big Blue 2WD. It has made a big difference in low-end torque (not that BB 2WD was lacking in that department already!).

I noticed the exhaust started popping with throttle application/deceleration as I was checking vacuum and making idle adjustments. Then I realized I had unplugged the line that goes to the smog valve.... What does that vacuum actuator do ? As soon as I hooked it back up to manifold vacuum the popping went away with throttle application/deceleration.

Oh and that whistle at idle is present just like the Bronco.

78DEA178-14D9-4EE8-8CF1-A3FA0EC6E76C.jpeg.6360730d63654e196a818b228ce7996c.jpeg

Installed the same Edelbrock 9266 gasket on Big Blue 2WD. It has made a big difference in low-end torque (not that BB 2WD was lacking in that department already!).

I noticed the exhaust started popping with throttle application/deceleration as I was checking vacuum and making idle adjustments. Then I realized I had unplugged the line that goes to the smog valve.... What does that vacuum actuator do ? As soon as I hooked it back up to manifold vacuum the popping went away with throttle application/deceleration.

Oh and that whistle at idle is present just like the Bronco.

The thermactor crossover at the back of the heads pumps oxygen directly into the exhaust ports.

This helps burn off all the raw fuel and carbon monoxide that makes it out the exhaust valve.

Obviously this is a lot of wasted energy, and crazy heat in the engine bay.

The analogue of how they used to just flare gas off at the well head instead of capturing it and using it for polymer chemistry

The thermactor crossover at the back of the heads pumps oxygen directly into the exhaust ports.

This helps burn off all the raw fuel and carbon monoxide that makes it out the exhaust valve.

The analogue of how they used to just flare gas off at the well head instead of capturing it and using it for polymer chemistry

Thanks Jim, I probably should’ve kept the smog on my 78 install but the fit inside the dentside is on the tight side in the rear, I didn’t want to take chances.

I have that entire system though in the parts bin and pretty sure working…

this is one thing that I have not gotten to make sense in my head. it feels a bit contradictory. I get the air injection for burn off. "Fanning the flames" so to speak. yet as I have been told by so many over the years exhaust leaks cause burned valves due to the added air. this seems like "bs" to me and always has. I welcome someone explaining this in a convincing way. exhaust valves are in the flame flow every time they open at all and will get heated whenever not contacting the heatsink that is the seat/head. now I do understand that the thermactor valve switches from feeding air to the cat to feeding air into the head based on load/demand but fail to see how either one can burn valves.

this is one thing that I have not gotten to make sense in my head. it feels a bit contradictory. I get the air injection for burn off. "Fanning the flames" so to speak. yet as I have been told by so many over the years exhaust leaks cause burned valves due to the added air. this seems like "bs" to me and always has. I welcome someone explaining this in a convincing way. exhaust valves are in the flame flow every time they open at all and will get heated whenever not contacting the heatsink that is the seat/head. now I do understand that the thermactor valve switches from feeding air to the cat to feeding air into the head based on load/demand but fail to see how either one can burn valves.

I don't think it burns valves, but I DO see how a blast of cold air could warp a valve.

In 460 heads the thermactor passages run right past the exhaust ports (I don't have Scotty's porting templates in front of me, but it's really easy to grind through)

I definitely don't think the air is 'cold' by the time it enters the port, and the engine is always running if the pump(s) are turning.

Even at 600rpm idle that valve is pushing combustion products out 300x a minute, or 15x every second.

I don't think it burns valves, but I DO see how a blast of cold air could warp a valve.

In 460 heads the thermactor passages run right past the exhaust ports (I don't have Scotty's porting templates in front of me, but it's really easy to grind through)

I definitely don't think the air is 'cold' by the time it enters the port, and the engine is always running if the pump(s) are turning.

Even at 600rpm idle that valve is pushing combustion products out 300x a minute, or 15x every second.

it seems as though you see it as I:nabble_thinking-26_orig: do.