Bullnose Forums

460 is running rich on Edelbrock 1411

Excellent!! Thanks again

When I sprayed at the choke it vacuum levels dropped below 16 and there was stumble. That’s when I realized that hole was a vacuum leak

I don't think the gasket is causing your whistle, but if you want to make sure, you could always run a tall bead of silicone across and let it cure without compressing it all the way (kinda like China wall gaskets on an intake)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the gasket is causing your whistle, but if you want to make sure, you could always run a tall bead of silicone across and let it cure without compressing it all the way (kinda like China wall gaskets on an intake)

I'd bet the hole at the choke was the source of the whistle.

And to close that you could put a ball bearing in there - assuming there's a narrow spot farther in that will stop it from going through. Or run a self-tapping screw in with some PST on the threads.

The whistle goes away even with the smallest application of throttle, like 1%… maybe that’s the vacuum leak at the butterfly’s… previously the butterfly’s were restricted by the gasket and I didn’t hear anything

I'd bet the hole at the choke was the source of the whistle.

And to close that you could put a ball bearing in there - assuming there's a narrow spot farther in that will stop it from going through. Or run a self-tapping screw in with some PST on the threads.

I did limited reading on that hole. I’m understanding it is essential for choke functioning …. Will read some more

The whistle goes away even with the smallest application of throttle, like 1%… maybe that’s the vacuum leak at the butterfly’s… previously the butterfly’s were restricted by the gasket and I didn’t hear anything

When I welded my muffler flanges I had some wire that got through the cracks and whistled like crazy under acceleration.

I thought it was a leaking gasket, but when I finally unbolted it and cleaned them up with a die grinder the sound went away... :nabble_anim_crazy:

I did limited reading on that hole. I’m understanding it is essential for choke functioning …. Will read some more

I don't think so. In the dim reaches of my mind I remember having to close that hole when converting to or from a manual choke.

And if the hole was needed it would be pulling filtered air, not dirty air.

I'll do some reading as well. :nabble_anim_working:

When I welded my muffler flanges I had some wire that got through the cracks and whistled like crazy under acceleration.

I thought it was a leaking gasket, but when I finally unbolted it and cleaned them up with a die grinder the sound went away... :nabble_anim_crazy:

I'm going to see if there is anything at all restricting the butterfly's but I'm actually worried I may have hurt the mechanism trying to open it while restricted all this while.... but I may also need to try to increase return spring tension, maybe that will help it close better.

Well, one way or another I should have an answer end of the week. The same gasket will go into Big Blue 2WD end of the week.

I still have a small delta in performance in stop and go traffic. The Bronco is missing the long lost cold air intake. Something like below should help right ? (Edit: Big Blue 2WD has the stock cold air intake in use).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305701449426?_nkw=air+cleaner&epid=1461340269&itmmeta=01J6YF6AAJHE1DXDDQ7AC2XTFJ&hash=item472d39eed2:g:2A4AAOSwTJhmqT-8

I'm going to see if there is anything at all restricting the butterfly's but I'm actually worried I may have hurt the mechanism trying to open it while restricted all this while.... but I may also need to try to increase return spring tension, maybe that will help it close better.

Well, one way or another I should have an answer end of the week. The same gasket will go into Big Blue 2WD end of the week.

I still have a small delta in performance in stop and go traffic. The Bronco is missing the long lost cold air intake. Something like below should help right ? (Edit: Big Blue 2WD has the stock cold air intake in use).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305701449426?_nkw=air+cleaner&epid=1461340269&itmmeta=01J6YF6AAJHE1DXDDQ7AC2XTFJ&hash=item472d39eed2:g:2A4AAOSwTJhmqT-8

Let me look up what the air inlet system looks like on that. :nabble_anim_working:

Let me look up what the air inlet system looks like on that. :nabble_anim_working:

Before the Bullnose era the Broncos were supposedly covered in the car MPC. But I can't find what I'm looking for in there on your Bronco. So here's the illustration for the pickups:

1978_Bronco_460_Air_Inlet.thumb.jpg.7cfb1a00372738e145b6f228468cd24b.jpg

Before the Bullnose era the Broncos were supposedly covered in the car MPC. But I can't find what I'm looking for in there on your Bronco. So here's the illustration for the pickups:

Thanks a lot!!!! That is really useful to confirm part numbers and see where the screws go.