Bullnose Forums

460 is running rich on Edelbrock 1411

Yes I agree... In this case unfortunately it was a build throw together with parts from 2 trucks. The last thing touched was just about everything (Transmission, engine, intake). I didn't have the experience to investigate this from the get-go. Well if I had stuck with the stock 4180, this would have been a non-issue... but I have just always trusted Edelbrocks. I didn't also think to investigate Big Blue 2WD's situation as I have been plenty happy just putting around town with the primaries. I had fortunately not subjected the truck yet to a major tow or anything of that sort.

I'm glad you've found this, or you would have been disappointed in the 650 AVS as well... :nabble_anim_jump:

I had a similar problem with my 1" Trans-dapt spacer that I used to eliminate the EGR on my truck.

The 0-80457S was okay but the AVS would stick.

If you want to be sure that your gasket clears you can set the carb on the basket and spray something in the bores* with the butterflies held open as much as you can.

This will leave a clear 'impression' and you just have to trim back to where there is no sign left visible.

You definitely want the bridge with a dual plane (stock) manifold.

That's kind of the point in having two separate smaller plenums.

*Damn phone!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you've found this, or you would have been disappointed in the 650 AVS as well... :nabble_anim_jump:

I had a similar problem with my 1" Trans-dapt spacer that I used to eliminate the EGR on my truck.

If you want to be sure that your gasket clears you can set the carb on the basket and spray something in the bores* with the butterflies held open as much as you can.

This will leave a clear 'impression' and you just have to trim back to where there is no sign left visible.

*Damn phone!

Thanks Jim,

I thought about trimming the gasket but was worried I would leave ragged edges.... I guess it is worth a shot trying to trim. Not sure how to go about it. An X-acto knife ?

I have ordered the Edelbrock gasket as well. If that works well I'll stick to it...

Thanks Jim,

I thought about trimming the gasket but was worried I would leave ragged edges.... I guess it is worth a shot trying to trim. Not sure how to go about it. An X-acto knife ?

I have ordered the Edelbrock gasket as well. If that works well I'll stick to it...

I imagine you could get it done with a scalpel or X-acto knife.

It doesn't have to look pretty, as long as it seals and is out of the way.

I have tools like various sweeps of wood carving gouges, so I would probably chop it out like I was cutting holes in a gasket with a hole punch.

*Damn phone!

Yes, sure glad you found this! :nabble_anim_claps:

I imagine you could get it done with a scalpel or X-acto knife.

It doesn't have to look pretty, as long as it seals and is out of the way.

I have tools like various sweeps of wood carving gouges, so I would probably chop it out like I was cutting holes in a gasket with a hole punch.

I am picking up the Edelbrock gasket. I'll use it as the template and give it a go!

I am picking up the Edelbrock gasket. I'll use it as the template and give it a go!

6DCB0366-C05A-4F85-8B40-449100E30351.thumb.jpeg.c59e133b09bd3e12abd727fa2727b7a2.jpeg

58D0042C-8F34-4231-82F7-B61491D23955.jpeg.d5909840790e0a151f0f222ef42e54e3.jpeg

5E135848-B806-46E0-A0FC-05910C073493.jpeg.264cefb5def29b36e8afcc7c35e2c109.jpeg

Picked up the Edelbrock gasket today.

You can see that my old gasket is somewhat ruined as part of it peeled off and stuck to the EGR plate.

Picked up the Edelbrock gasket today.

You can see that my old gasket is somewhat ruined as part of it peeled off and stuck to the EGR plate.

I'm going by the Post Office today, to send more of my dad's electronics to George.

I'll get that Edelbrock cover gasket off to you! 👍

I'm going by the Post Office today, to send more of my dad's electronics to George.

I'll get that Edelbrock cover gasket off to you! 👍

Thanks Jim!!

I installed the Edelbrock gasket on the 460 EGR plate and it has this loud whistle only at idle (probably due to air flow in the gap under the carburetor as indicated by the blue arrows.) The whistle goes away when the throttle is applied.

I checked all around the base with a carb cleaner spray for leaks. No vacuum leaks of any kind but while doing that I realized that every time I hit the choke the vacuum reading dropped... I first thought there was a leak in the gasket around there but I had to spray at the choke for idle to change... I didn't understand that at first but realized later the hole under the choke is a large controlled vaccum leak.

6EC7D3D6-B1B8-42E6-99F8-35AB97981C27.jpeg.ea45553036828907cf4a20fbb4898131.jpeg

9923AB04-0245-44B8-8B1B-A8A107D82CD1.jpeg.030156f3fca69d7bd6f284ed7587195b.jpeg

E6DB5CE2-8B3F-4418-8F90-537B3757F847.jpeg.b6861575b31b9c22bde92f24f4049d71.jpeg

Thanks Jim!!

I installed the Edelbrock gasket on the 460 EGR plate and it has this loud whistle only at idle (probably due to air flow in the gap under the carburetor as indicated by the blue arrows.) The whistle goes away when the throttle is applied.

I checked all around the base with a carb cleaner spray for leaks. No vacuum leaks of any kind but while doing that I realized that every time I hit the choke the vacuum reading dropped... I first thought there was a leak in the gasket around there but I had to spray at the choke for idle to change... I didn't understand that at first but realized later the hole under the choke is a large controlled vaccum leak.

Tracking # sent. Should be delivered tomorrow. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Are you saying you heard no change when you sprayed below the choke?

Because if that is open to the outside it should have been noticable!

Tracking # sent. Should be delivered tomorrow. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Are you saying you heard no change when you sprayed below the choke?

Because if that is open to the outside it should have been noticable!

Excellent!! Thanks again

When I sprayed at the choke it vacuum levels dropped below 16 and there was stumble. That’s when I realized that hole was a vacuum leak