Bullnose Forums

460 is running rich on Edelbrock 1411

If you have a wye into a single pipe you can use it there. My 1990 front pipes on Darth have a short cross pipe just in front of where the catalytic converter would go. That is where the factory O2 sensor was installed.

Yes that would be a convenient place... Unfortunately I don't. My exhaust from both banks run into a muffler which take dual 2.5 inputs and single 3 inch output.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Gary! Thats very useful.

And btw, where is your sensor installed ?

In my experience, the 460 exhaust is like a blow torch so it should be hot enough to be installed even at the tailpipe... I just don't want to kill the sensor by mounting it too close to the manifold :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

The first wave of gas down the pipe is cold, according to Innovate.

And my sensor is in the forcing cone just aft of the headers.

The first wave of gas down the pipe is cold, according to Innovate.

And my sensor is in the forcing cone just aft of the headers.

Bought this so I can learn about AFB vs AVS before messing with Jim’s AVS that he sent me

D5800DE5-17F7-4F51-AED3-B0B5266ACBDA.jpeg.70f17415b380453d414a2e01460ba4df.jpeg

Bought this so I can learn about AFB vs AVS before messing with Jim’s AVS that he sent me

I'm not sure why you'd need to mess with it. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Maybe have the secondaries come on a little stronger since the Bronco is so light, but I have 4.10's so it may be just fine. 👍

As they say "suck it and see!"

I'm not sure why you'd need to mess with it. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Maybe have the secondaries come on a little stronger since the Bronco is so light, but I have 4.10's so it may be just fine. 👍

As they say "suck it and see!"

Yes that's plan A... try as-is and go from there.. but I like to learn first :nabble_smiley_good:

BTW, 5300 lbs doesn't feel light. This 78 with its extremely short wheel base and sitting up higher vs Big Blue 2WD feels very gangly. Big Blue 2WD is definitely more nimble at 4800 lbs and mean! I would feel confident racing any modern truck on Big Blue 2WD :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yes that's plan A... try as-is and go from there.. but I like to learn first :nabble_smiley_good:

BTW, 5300 lbs doesn't feel light. This 78 with its extremely short wheel base and sitting up higher vs Big Blue 2WD feels very gangly. Big Blue 2WD is definitely more nimble at 4800 lbs and mean! I would feel confident racing any modern truck on Big Blue 2WD :nabble_smiley_evil:

I swapped the carburetor from Big Blue 2WD into the Bronco. They drive about the same.....

I do have the problem of things going 'flat' and the 460 in the Bronco really working hard (over 1800 rpm) when it is really hot outside. I had thought it was the carburetor... but I wonder if it could be something else (ignition coil?).

I swapped the carburetor from Big Blue 2WD into the Bronco. They drive about the same.....

I do have the problem of things going 'flat' and the 460 in the Bronco really working hard (over 1800 rpm) when it is really hot outside. I had thought it was the carburetor... but I wonder if it could be something else (ignition coil?).

That seems really odd. :nabble_anim_confused:

We don't see it over mid 90's here very much.

When you say 'the engine struggles over 1800 rpm' is it missing?

Does it sputter and pop?

Ignition usually works or it doesn't.

A failing coil tends to load the cylinders and then ignite the raw fuel in the exhaust with a bang.

What's the fuel system like in your '78?

Does the pump deadhead at the carb, or is it constantly recirculating?

That seems really odd. :nabble_anim_confused:

We don't see it over mid 90's here very much.

When you say 'the engine struggles over 1800 rpm' is it missing?

Does it sputter and pop?

Ignition usually works or it doesn't.

A failing coil tends to load the cylinders and then ignite the raw fuel in the exhaust with a bang.

What's the fuel system like in your '78?

Does the pump deadhead at the carb, or is it constantly recirculating?

Pump deadhead, non-return/non-hot fuel handling...

No missing, popping, etc... it might be lean though like it wants more fuel

Its hard to describe but I can really hear the engine revving hard when hot and over 1800 rpm. When cold, its quieter... I don't want to say things are lean... but it certainly feels that way. I don't know want to go as far as saying it is pinging, but the oomph isn't there definitely as when things are colder.....

Pump deadhead, non-return/non-hot fuel handling...

No missing, popping, etc... it might be lean though like it wants more fuel

Its hard to describe but I can really hear the engine revving hard when hot and over 1800 rpm. When cold, its quieter... I don't want to say things are lean... but it certainly feels that way. I don't know want to go as far as saying it is pinging, but the oomph isn't there definitely as when things are colder.....

Hmmm. 🤔

"Revving hard" or hard to rev?

If it's not popping and stumbling I don't think you have an ignition problem.

I'd definitely consider a return regulator (like a Hot Fuel Handling system) and some reflective braid like Gary has.

Hmmm. 🤔

"Revving hard" or hard to rev?

If it's not popping and stumbling I don't think you have an ignition problem.

I'd definitely consider a return regulator (like a Hot Fuel Handling system) and some reflective braid like Gary has.

The revs are just louder and they do less in accelerating the 5300 lbs... No problems revving.

I have the hot fuel handling system from the 86 source truck.. all of it! If I can only find a way to return the a 5/16s line back to the fuel tank, I'd be happy to use that system.

I do think I will use the reflective braid in the mean time, that should help. Its only a problem I see in stop and go situations.

Yesterday I was on the highway for a while and no problems. In fact a newer year model mall crawling / low profile wide tires sticking out F250 tried to pass me, he couldn't .. man those tires were loud, I could hear them over all the road noise in my cabin :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: