Bullnose Forums

Ordering Parts for 1985 F-250? In the middle of the split year.

I am ordering parts for a 1985 F-250 4x4 6.9L Diesel. The date on the info tag is 05/1985. Some parts are coming up as 80-5/85 or 5/85-96. Any idea which ones I should be ordering for?

I priced some out locally and on the sheet he wrote "to build date 01/00/85" or "from 01/00/85" What is the 00?

Talk about confusing for me...

What parts are you ordering as that may make a difference?

I take it you dont know if the truck was early 5/85 or late 5/85 do you?

As for the 01/00/85 "I" see it up to 01/00/85 (12/31/84) and after 01/00/85 (01/01/85).

Dont know why they would not do "up to 12/84 and after 01/85" in that case?

The only other thingI can think of is to order for either before or after and see what fits and return the wrong parts if you can. Then order the early or later parts after that.

Good luck

Dave ----

What parts are you ordering as that may make a difference?

I take it you dont know if the truck was early 5/85 or late 5/85 do you?

As for the 01/00/85 "I" see it up to 01/00/85 (12/31/84) and after 01/00/85 (01/01/85).

Dont know why they would not do "up to 12/84 and after 01/85" in that case?

The only other thingI can think of is to order for either before or after and see what fits and return the wrong parts if you can. Then order the early or later parts after that.

Good luck

Dave ----

Replacing all of the steering components. Tie rod ends, etc. Ordering from rock auto to Canada. Unfortunately, returning parts will not work.

Someone had mentioned Red Head steering gear on here a while ago. I'm going to order one of those. Twice the price but should be worth it.

Replacing all of the steering components. Tie rod ends, etc. Ordering from rock auto to Canada. Unfortunately, returning parts will not work.

Someone had mentioned Red Head steering gear on here a while ago. I'm going to order one of those. Twice the price but should be worth it.

We have the part numbers for the steering components from Ford's master parts catalog shown on the page at Documentation/Steering & Suspension/Steering/Tie Rods & Drag Links. And on there I'm not seeing any 5/85 dates. Several 1/85 and a couple of 2/85. So I'd go by Ford's data and not someone else's.

As for the steering box, I'm reading about Redhead having lots of problems now. If I were buying I'd go with Bluetop. I've dealt with them several times of late and their service and the box have been excellent.

We have the part numbers for the steering components from Ford's master parts catalog shown on the page at Documentation/Steering & Suspension/Steering/Tie Rods & Drag Links. And on there I'm not seeing any 5/85 dates. Several 1/85 and a couple of 2/85. So I'd go by Ford's data and not someone else's.

As for the steering box, I'm reading about Redhead having lots of problems now. If I were buying I'd go with Bluetop. I've dealt with them several times of late and their service and the box have been excellent.

Looks like the bluetop only deals in the US, so that's out for me.

Would you recommend the red head or go with a new unit (not reman)? Rock auto has several and a couple are lifetime warranty. I am looking to get rid of all the sloppiness.

Looks like the bluetop only deals in the US, so that's out for me.

Would you recommend the red head or go with a new unit (not reman)? Rock auto has several and a couple are lifetime warranty. I am looking to get rid of all the sloppiness.

Someone on here bought a new unit recently and had good results. But generally I like BlueTop and then Redhead, then new, then rebuilt as a last resort.

Maybe Redhead just had a glitch and has fixed it? I really don't know.