Bullnose Forums

Clocking A 3G? Help!

Finally gave up today and put the alternator back together w/o getting it re-clocked. It just wouldn't budge. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I probably would have run a strap of steel (perhaps a box-box wrench the right length?) over the end of the shaft and used a bolt through the pivot and adjuster ears to apply pressure while tapping and heating.

Or just beating on the wrench handle, with pressure applied. 🙄

But I'm the kinda guy that gets resourceful with whatever is at hand, and I don't have much left, at this point...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably would have run a strap of steel (perhaps a box-box wrench the right length?) over the end of the shaft and used a bolt through the pivot and adjuster ears to apply pressure while tapping and heating.

Or just beating on the wrench handle, with pressure applied. 🙄

But I'm the kinda guy that gets resourceful with whatever is at hand, and I don't have much left, at this point...

Clocking it would have been nice, but not necessary. Not much reason to disconnect the charge cable if you aren't removing the alternator, so go ahead and pull the two bolts holding it in and pull it out. That gives easier access to the retaining clips so you can get the connectors off w/o breaking the retainers.

But pulling it did give me an opportunity to put the other regulator in. Perhaps this one won't chirp the belt on startup.

Clocking it would have been nice, but not necessary. Not much reason to disconnect the charge cable if you aren't removing the alternator, so go ahead and pull the two bolts holding it in and pull it out. That gives easier access to the retaining clips so you can get the connectors off w/o breaking the retainers.

But pulling it did give me an opportunity to put the other regulator in. Perhaps this one won't chirp the belt on startup.

Sorry to hear that all of the effort didn’t produce the intended results. I remember battling long and hard on one that I did. It’s scary to put a lot of umph into a piece you want to reuse.

Sorry to hear that all of the effort didn’t produce the intended results. I remember battling long and hard on one that I did. It’s scary to put a lot of umph into a piece you want to reuse.

Exactly! Hit it harder and it might turn loose, or it might break and I have to buy a new one. I opted for the safe way out.