Bullnose Forums

Clocking A 3G? Help!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has that alternator separated yet?

Nope. I've PB Blasted it many, many times. Heated it more than I think prudent. And banged on it time and time again, but it refuses to come apart.

The installation of the subwoofer is going slowly due to other things in our lives at the moment, but when the time to install the alternator finally comes I think it'll go back in the way it was. I'll just have to remove it to be able to get to the releases on the connectors.

Nope. I've PB Blasted it many, many times. Heated it more than I think prudent. And banged on it time and time again, but it refuses to come apart.

The installation of the subwoofer is going slowly due to other things in our lives at the moment, but when the time to install the alternator finally comes I think it'll go back in the way it was. I'll just have to remove it to be able to get to the releases on the connectors.

Once you do get back to it, keep this in mind.

There are three locations of friction that come into play.

1. The outer race of the back bearing to the back case boss

2. The windings body to the front case

3. The inner race of the front bearing to the shaft

You only need two of the three spots to have a lower coefficient of friction so to speak.

Determining which two is probably impossible, but I only bring this up to point out that if the weight on the shaft is not producing results, perhaps that’s the tightest grip. Maybe force/ efforts need to be applied between the windings and the front case. Wedge it open slowly moving around the entire circumference in small increments.

Once you do get back to it, keep this in mind.

There are three locations of friction that come into play.

1. The outer race of the back bearing to the back case boss

2. The windings body to the front case

3. The inner race of the front bearing to the shaft

You only need two of the three spots to have a lower coefficient of friction so to speak.

Determining which two is probably impossible, but I only bring this up to point out that if the weight on the shaft is not producing results, perhaps that’s the tightest grip. Maybe force/ efforts need to be applied between the windings and the front case. Wedge it open slowly moving around the entire circumference in small increments.

I've used a large screwdriver to try and get the windings to separate from the front case half. If I twist to the right of the arrow in the pic the distance to the left decreases. And vice versa. And if I twist right at the arrow I can't get it to move.

I've saturated the area between the two with PB Blaster, heated, banged, twisted - to no avail. Will keep trying when I get back to it, but I'm open to other suggestions.

I've used a large screwdriver to try and get the windings to separate from the front case half. If I twist to the right of the arrow in the pic the distance to the left decreases. And vice versa. And if I twist right at the arrow I can't get it to move.

I've saturated the area between the two with PB Blaster, heated, banged, twisted - to no avail. Will keep trying when I get back to it, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Years ago I helped someone pulling a tranny from an Olds Toronado, if I'm remembering correctly the torque converter would get stuck on those contraptions. I'm remembering the tranny was off and the bellhousing and transmission were separated.

He had tried several ways to get it out and it wouldn't budge.

I finally had him hold it up off the floor and I used an air hammer on a block of wood on the side of the bellhousing and hit it, it fell right out.

Don't know if you could set something up or not but a thought.

Edit, correction, typo.

Years ago I helped someone pulling a tranny from an Olds Toronado, if I'm remembering correctly the torque converter would get stuck on those contraptions. I'm remembering the tranny was off and the bellhousing and transmission were separated.

He had tried several ways to get it out and it wouldn't budge.

I finally had him hold it up off the floor and I used an air hammer on a block of wood on the side of the bellhousing and hit it, it fell right out.

Don't know if you could set something up or not but a thought.

Edit, correction, typo.

On the back case is an aluminum dust cover that is typically lightly pressed into the bore. If you’re able to remove that, you now have just enough of the outer race of the back bearing to use a socket to tap the bearing and armature out. Tap on bearing/ pry on case, tap on bearing/ pry on case.

It’ll come.

In my experience, the back bearing is never really tight in the case.

On the back case is an aluminum dust cover that is typically lightly pressed into the bore. If you’re able to remove that, you now have just enough of the outer race of the back bearing to use a socket to tap the bearing and armature out. Tap on bearing/ pry on case, tap on bearing/ pry on case.

It’ll come.

In my experience, the back bearing is never really tight in the case.

Hadn’t thought of that. Thanks!

Hadn’t thought of that. Thanks!

I did a 3g swap on my thunderbird a few years ago, and I had to rotate the case. I only remember taking out the three long bolts and twisting it, I didn't touch the pulley, and I don't remember hitting anything.

I did that with the first junkyard one for mock up, and then again with a new parts store one. It was really quick and easy.

I did a 3g swap on my thunderbird a few years ago, and I had to rotate the case. I only remember taking out the three long bolts and twisting it, I didn't touch the pulley, and I don't remember hitting anything.

I did that with the first junkyard one for mock up, and then again with a new parts store one. It was really quick and easy.

I wish mine was that easy. I am surprised but pleased that one from a junk yard was that easy. I'll keep working on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish mine was that easy. I am surprised but pleased that one from a junk yard was that easy. I'll keep working on this one.

Finally gave up today and put the alternator back together w/o getting it re-clocked. It just wouldn't budge. :nabble_smiley_cry: