Bullnose Forums

Clocking A 3G? Help!

I'm trying to re-clock the 3G alternator on Big Blue, and I need HELP!

Our page on the 3G points to Steve83's page, which says:

Various applications will have the rear case clocked differently, so if your wiring doesn't reach, FIRST loosen the front nut and take the pulley off. Then remove the 3 case bolts, flip it, lift the front case while pushing the shaft into the rear case slightly, rotate the front, set it down, and reassemble it

I take that to mean the front case needs to come up off the windings, as shown by the red arrow in the pic below. Right?

I'm not getting the case to come up more than about the 3/16" shown, and it doesn't want to rotate. What am I doing wrong?

3G_Alternator_Clocking.thumb.jpg.708af05fbaaa0a81c2f6a4e548834281.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's going on ?!?

Looks so easy for this guy:

Full link:
Yes, it sure looks easy - for him. But my case isn't wanting to separate from the windings.I put just a bit of penetrating oil on the winding/case joint and I'm hoping that will let the two part ways. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Gary, it is hard to tell from your picture, but the stator windings have to stay with the side the diodes. I have run into ones with enough corrosion that the steel doesn't want to leave the aluminum.

I have seen the laminations start to seperate where the case went over them. Maybe a heat gun on the aluminum case while applying pressure might help as aluminum expands at roughly twice the rate of iron.

Gary, it is hard to tell from your picture, but the stator windings have to stay with the side the diodes. I have run into ones with enough corrosion that the steel doesn't want to leave the aluminum.

I have seen the laminations start to seperate where the case went over them. Maybe a heat gun on the aluminum case while applying pressure might help as aluminum expands at roughly twice the rate of iron.

Yes, I'm keeping the windings with the diodes in the back half of the alternator. But even with heat there is one spot where the steel isn't letting go of the aluminum. I've pried, heated, lubricated, tapped on it, etc and it doesn't want to let go. I even put the screws back in and pulled it all together again and then tried to pull the front half up, but it goes so far and stops.

I put a bit more penetrating oil on it and will let it sit overnight. Perhaps that will persuade it, but if not I may just leave it clocked the way it is. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Yes, I'm keeping the windings with the diodes in the back half of the alternator. But even with heat there is one spot where the steel isn't letting go of the aluminum. I've pried, heated, lubricated, tapped on it, etc and it doesn't want to let go. I even put the screws back in and pulled it all together again and then tried to pull the front half up, but it goes so far and stops.

I put a bit more penetrating oil on it and will let it sit overnight. Perhaps that will persuade it, but if not I may just leave it clocked the way it is. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Loosen the three bolts, spray it with PB Blaster and smack it hard on the side with a dead blow hammer.

Just like a pitman arm.

Be careful WHERE you hit it, so you don't mangle the casting.

Loosen the three bolts, spray it with PB Blaster and smack it hard on the side with a dead blow hammer.

Just like a pitman arm.

Be careful WHERE you hit it, so you don't mangle the casting.

I'll give that a try, Jim. Thanks. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'll give that a try, Jim. Thanks. :nabble_smiley_good:

If you want a less drastic approach you can try tapping your way around. (Me? YOLO! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:)

Just don't ever completely undo the bolts or you're gonna have to pull the brush holder and pin them back, in order to get it together.

There should be plenty of room to turn the halves.

If you want a less drastic approach you can try tapping your way around. (Me? YOLO! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:)

Just don't ever completely undo the bolts or you're gonna have to pull the brush holder and pin them back, in order to get it together.

There should be plenty of room to turn the halves.

my oldest friend loves to fix things with hammers. you sound a lot like him. he laughs that I have rubber hammers. I probably own fifty hammers from oz to lbs. and three are rubber mallets. we hit stuff here!

my oldest friend loves to fix things with hammers. you sound a lot like him. he laughs that I have rubber hammers. I probably own fifty hammers from oz to lbs. and three are rubber mallets. we hit stuff here!

I have dozens of hammers from tiny chasing hammers for engraving to a #24 beast of a rock splitting maul! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

(more than a few rubber mallets and dead blows)