Bullnose Forums

Rolling Idle

Im telling you there is no place for that on mine, They did away with I dont have one. I just have the umbrella valve nothing more. I read few posts on other sites about this also, just like the link you sent me. at this point I just need a solution to my current problem.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, I may have a 650 AVS, but I haven't been there in 6 months, since the guy has mental paranoia and a drinking problem.. 🥴

The Holley is really simple.

I'm not sure what was done to it or why it was "messed with"...

I bought it refurbished I havent had it since 08. It came like that, I rebuilt it because it was acting up and clogged with a ton of grey sludge. I give up on this. new carb time not refurb unless you have a better idea.

I bought it refurbished I havent had it since 08. It came like that, I rebuilt it because it was acting up and clogged with a ton of grey sludge. I give up on this. new carb time not refurb unless you have a better idea.

I'm sorry, I don't have any "better ideas".

Been tuning Holleys since the mid '70's

I've never dealt with a 4160 or a Quick Fuel carb that didn't have a check weight. 🤷‍♂️

Bill has decades of experience. Maybe he knows something I dont.

I'm sorry, I don't have any "better ideas".

Been tuning Holleys since the mid '70's

I've never dealt with a 4160 or a Quick Fuel carb that didn't have a check weight. 🤷‍♂️

Bill has decades of experience. Maybe he knows something I dont.

I don't mean to be short its just Im not sure what your asking me to do. I dont have the parts your describing My 2 main issues are leaking accelerator pump and rolling idle. Leaking accelerator pump Im sure I can fix. I was told in an earlier post that wouldn't cause idle problems. I will fix that first. Then I will move onto the rolling idle problem. I guess what Im asking is What would you do or suggest I do?

I don't mean to be short its just Im not sure what your asking me to do. I dont have the parts your describing My 2 main issues are leaking accelerator pump and rolling idle. Leaking accelerator pump Im sure I can fix. I was told in an earlier post that wouldn't cause idle problems. I will fix that first. Then I will move onto the rolling idle problem. I guess what Im asking is What would you do or suggest I do?

If the diaphragm is leaking externally it won't cause any problems.

If it is dribbling out the boosters it DEFINITELY will.

I asked if you could see any fuel with the engine running.

Maybe I misinterpreted your answer?

You say it has a red umbrella seal.

I didn't think Holley used that in 2002... in a 4160, but I could well be wrong.

CRS is real when you get into your 60's. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

If the diaphragm is leaking externally it won't cause any problems.

If it is dribbling out the boosters it DEFINITELY will.

I asked if you could see any fuel with the engine running.

Maybe I misinterpreted your answer?

You say it has a red umbrella seal.

I didn't think Holley used that in 2002... in a 4160, but I could well be wrong.

CRS is real when you get into your 60's. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I'm sorry if I am interrupting. and I do not want to step on toes, but I wonder if communication is getting muddy. I keep reading but it seems to me that the two of you are talking about different areas of the carb.

as to the accelerator pump there is a red "umbrella style check valve which fits in the pump cavity before the spring and diaphragm go in but that is in the bottom of the front bowl. the "pump circuit" extends to the primary tower via the metering block and has the squirter. beneath the squirter there is a check ball, weight

to keep fuel from being drawn by velocity.

I'm sorry if I am interrupting. and I do not want to step on toes, but I wonder if communication is getting muddy. I keep reading but it seems to me that the two of you are talking about different areas of the carb.

as to the accelerator pump there is a red "umbrella style check valve which fits in the pump cavity before the spring and diaphragm go in but that is in the bottom of the front bowl. the "pump circuit" extends to the primary tower via the metering block and has the squirter. beneath the squirter there is a check ball, weight

to keep fuel from being drawn by velocity.

Right.

And I think it's shown as 108, but can't be sure of the exploded view.

If that's missing the pump isn't gonna wurk rite.

I still don't have a solid answer if it's dribbling while running. (maybe I'm confused? :nabble_anim_crazy:)

Right.

And I think it's shown as 108, but can't be sure of the exploded view.

If that's missing the pump isn't gonna wurk rite.

I still don't have a solid answer if it's dribbling while running. (maybe I'm confused? :nabble_anim_crazy:)

All of you!! (a) I owned a Holley warehouse, authorised service center in the late 60s through 1978. (b) Holley changed from the steel check ball accellerator pump inlet, to a Ford styel elastomer valve somewhere around the introduction of the Spreadbore (Q-jet replacement).

The elastomer valve is pulled into the bowl carefully, preferably with some lubricant on the stem. After it is seated it is a good idea to cut the stem off above the ball inside the bowl (like you do with a Ford 2150).

Power valve, first be sure the gasket is fairly firm, a soft gasket will squeeze out and leak. Screw the valve into the metering block, torque, 25 in-lbs (hold the block in your hand and tighten the valve with a wrench) unless you have the strength of a gorilla, you won't strip it.

Floats, externally adjustable needles and seats, with the bowls inverted, set the floats parallel to the top of the bowls, secondary a bit lower. Fixed needles and seats, set by the spec sheet with a gauge that should be in the kit. Adjustment is done by bending the tang on the float.

All of you!! (a) I owned a Holley warehouse, authorised service center in the late 60s through 1978. (b) Holley changed from the steel check ball accellerator pump inlet, to a Ford styel elastomer valve somewhere around the introduction of the Spreadbore (Q-jet replacement).

The elastomer valve is pulled into the bowl carefully, preferably with some lubricant on the stem. After it is seated it is a good idea to cut the stem off above the ball inside the bowl (like you do with a Ford 2150).

Power valve, first be sure the gasket is fairly firm, a soft gasket will squeeze out and leak. Screw the valve into the metering block, torque, 25 in-lbs (hold the block in your hand and tighten the valve with a wrench) unless you have the strength of a gorilla, you won't strip it.

Floats, externally adjustable needles and seats, with the bowls inverted, set the floats parallel to the top of the bowls, secondary a bit lower. Fixed needles and seats, set by the spec sheet with a gauge that should be in the kit. Adjustment is done by bending the tang on the float.

amen

When you say "the secondary should be set a bit lower" ... I'm clear on this, but the float should be higher, when inverted, correct?

I'm just trying to make a distinction for the OP. :nabble_smiley_cool: